Having trouble with Southco Keyless Entry system

SGeohagan

Bill,
Thanks for pointing me to the Heartland owners forum. I not only managed to change the battery and reprogram the keyless entry, but there's a lot of good info out here.

Suzy

jimtoo

Hi Suzy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family, We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. Looks like you have already had a good experience using the info.

Enjoy the forum and your Heartland unit.

Jim M

ggg911

SGeohagan,
Please advise how you changed the battery. Does it require prying off the wireless pad from sidewall? Maybe a small screwdriver with a soft wedge? Thanks ggg911, gale

jimtoo

Hi gale,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family, We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think that is the way the battery is replaced,,, someone else will jump in and let us know for sure.

Enjoy the forum and your Heartland unit.

Jim M

jbeletti

GGG,

While there is no usable detail in it for removing the the transmitter from the RV and removing the cover to change the battery, there are a couple of documents on HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals) that relate to the product that may be useful to you down the road. You can find them here.

And here's some contact info that may help you now:

Southco Technical Support:
Phone: 303-561-4900
Email: info@southco.com
Web: www.southco.com

Added this data to the Important Contacts on the left side of the Portal as well.

wonka

Is it just me? I cannot locate the keyless entry pad on their website. all kinds of systems there, just can't find the one that's on the outside of my Bighorn. I have changed the battery, and still nothing, guess it is time to get on the phone, maybe we'll actually use it when I get it operational.

TedS

ggg911, you have to carefully pry the cover from the keypad housing. Don't pry the whole thing from the trailer sidewall. I found a notch on the right hand end of the joint between the cover and the keypad housing. Pry carefully and work the cover off. I found the cover will break if you are not very careful. With the cover and buttons removed, a push on the edge of the circuit board will help remove it from the housing. The battery is on the backside of the circuit board.

Good luck,

Hi folks! Thanks to all who have welcomed us! I just reprogrammed our Southco keypad and had zero problems. The key is to follow the guide provided but you must do this in the evening. Any daylight washes out the lights and you must complete programming when keys are lit. In the spirit of full disclosure - this thing kicked my butt during the daytime.

SGeohagan

I found I had to remove the pad from the trailer and then remove the screws to get to the battery. It then stuck right back on. Lippert's site www.lci1.com has a lot of good information. Lip Sheet #0182 shows the keypad system.

Willym

Sometimes the keypad may be working well, but the door lock will not respond. This can be due to the power contacts for the lock being dirty. These are the two spring loaded brass plungers and plates near the base of the door/door jam. They can be cleaned with a scouring pad.

gogators

I have a 2011 3070 and am also having an issue with my keyless keypad. I replaced th battery and still my button1/2 will not work took apart and does not make a circuit for that button only. will they mail a new keypad or would I have to drive 4 hours to the service place to get a taped on part replaced?
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Give SouthCo a call. They can help you and will send a new keypad. You will have to reprogram the receiver but it is not difficult.

Southco Technical Support:
Phone: 303-561-4900
Email: info@southco.com
Web: www.southco.com

Peace
Dave

SGeohagan

I just received a new keypad. Do I in fact have to take the window out of the door to reprogram the receiver? Thought I'd ask before I start taking things apart.

Thanks,
Suzy

ATLJOHN

Has anyone with 2012 receive the new Key FOB inplace of the keypad. I see in the new manuals it shows how to program them. I called Southco yesterday and they do not sell them to the public. They told me to contact Lippert. I will next week but just wondering if anyone has them yet.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just received a new keypad. Do I in fact have to take the window out of the door to reprogram the receiver? Thought I'd ask before I start taking things apart.

Thanks,
Suzy
Suzy, you should not have to remove the window. When I did mine all I did was remove the inside frame. With the door open and standing on a ladder I was able to get at the receiver do what needed to be done. I did however have to rig up a couple of jumpers for the two contacts on the door and jamb.

Peace
Dave

SGeohagan

Thanks Dave! I finally got around to programming my keypad today. I found it was easier for me to remove the screen door and work from inside. I did have to get my DH to get the screws started out of the screen door, but after that I was on my own.

Suzy

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
I also had trouble with a bad keypad. Be carefull when you take the inner frame off because those screws are what hold the glass to the outer frame.

Westwind

I haven't even used mine yet, I use the key's, after reading all these emails of people having trouble with this Southco unit, I'm beginning to believe that they are not worth the trouble. I bought this fifthwheel to enjoy not get hassled by a electronic keypad, it's funny don't remember hearing Ford had these problems. But maybe they did.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We finally got ours fixed. It has worked great since I reprogrammed it. So if it does not work give them a call and have them help troubleshoot it. I did find that one of my dip switches was in the wrong place. Maybe that was part of the problem.