Heading to Colorado

teasac69

Heading to Colorado this summer. I know a lot of folks do the same this time of year escaping the heat and humidity. Can I get some advice on big time pitfalls of RVing Colorado? I've traveled the state pretty much end to end and side to side. Just curious about the risk of running without reservations to stay? Thinking of going from home (TX) to Rocky Mtn NP, via interesting points of course.

Just looking for your experiences on roads to avoid, parks to see, etc. We pull a 3875 BH and dually so we're not looking to cross any major passes, just stay on the good roads, no interest in dry camping, etc.

Always value your input. I have learned much from you seasoned travelers and thank you in advance for taking your time to share your thoughts.

travel safe,

danemayer

Tim,

I'd suggest you make a few calls to see if any of your possible destinations have any openings. If they do, you should probably lock them in without delay.

You can log into the State Park reservations system and check available sites. The Colorado State Parks I've been in have generally had spacious sites and nice facilities. But they may already be full for the summer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at the Winding River Campground in Grand Lake a few years back . . . awesome place!

And about a mile away from the western entrance to the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Highway 34 (Big Thompson Canyon) is closed for repairs from the floods three years ago, so if you want to get to Estes Park and RMP from I-25 (ie.- east entrance), you'll have to take Hwy 36 (north Longmont exit on I-25).

As Dan said, you'll want to check with RV parks and make reservations if possible.

Sometimes you can find campsites available during the middle of the week, but weekends are usually booked out months in advance!

That is not to say that it is impossible to get sites without reservations, but you'll have to get away from the tourist traps to find them.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Good morning hoping this would be the appropriate place for this question I will be heading north on 25 to Denver hitting Denver about 8 o'clock Friday morning what would be the best route through Denver to hit 76 up to 80 at that time of morning any suggestions

TravisG

Good morning hoping this would be the appropriate place for this question I will be heading north on 25 to Denver hitting Denver about 8 o'clock Friday morning what would be the best route through Denver to hit 76 up to 80 at that time of morning any suggestions

If you don't mind traffic just take 25 to the 76 exit and head east. Don't like traffic? E-470, but it is a toll road. Don't have to stop but they will send you a bill in the mail. It's not cheap either.

JohnD

First off . . . either try to hit Denver before 7 a.m. . . . or wait until after 9:30 a.m. (might as well enjoy the extra hour or so of sleep).

Rush hour is nuts (just got done driving it to work about a half hour ago . . . took me about an hour and a half to get to the south side of Denver (County Line Rd.) from near the I-76 exit off of I-25 on the north side.

Easiest way to get on I-76 is to just take I-25 through downtown Denver and go east at the I-76 exit.

But I'd try to miss the rush hour unless you like to move about five feet every 10 minutes.

JohnD

Don't like traffic? E-470, but it is a toll road. Don't have to stop but they will send you a bill in the mail. It's not cheap either.

Yup!

The toll road would probably cost around $30 to pull a trailer through there.

brianlajoie

Traffic is very crazy through downtown. With a big trailer, I take it slow and leave lots of room in front. Stay in a middle lane to avoid ramp traffic. I always seem to hit that stretch of road during rush hour.

Depending on where on I76 you are going, maybe consider taking 24 to Limon and then 71 to Brush (Fort Morgan). You will be on a two lane road, but there is usually little traffic. I haven't been on these roads, but have been on other two lane roads and they are usually in better shape than the highway.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Traffic is very crazy through downtown. With a big trailer, I take it slow and leave lots of room in front. Stay in a middle lane to avoid ramp traffic. I always seem to hit that stretch of road during rush hour.

Depending on where on I76 you are going, maybe consider taking 24 to Limon and then 71 to Brush (Fort Morgan). You will be on a two lane road, but there is usually little traffic. I haven't been on these roads, but have been on other two lane roads and they are usually in better shape than the highway.

I agree with Brian. We take US 24 in Colorado Springs to I-70 at Limon and then take CO 71 to Brush. It is a very good road and not much traffic from Limon to Brush. It is all 65 mph speed limit and fairly flat. This allows you to bypass Denver all together and is much more comfortable driving. We travel this route 4-5 times a year. You can also take I-70 east to Colby KS and then take 83 Northeast to Norton, KS then into NE and pick up I-80 at Elm Creek NE. This is a shorter route and all very good roads with 65 mph speeds.

JohnD

If you don't mind traffic just take 25 to the 76 exit and head east. Don't like traffic? E-470, but it is a toll road. Don't have to stop but they will send you a bill in the mail. It's not cheap either.

Where south of Denver are you coming from?

That could make a difference on which route to take . . .