Headwind

WilmanJim

I don't know if it's just us or what, but it sure seems like no matter which way we head when we travel it's always a Headwind.
We are setting in Weatherford, TX right now and the winds sure are a changing. It went from 76 yesterday to 50's today and the North wind has it feeling COLD.
Talk about Cold.
We had a Texan pass us with a Saint Bernard, or a small Horse, in the back of his truck and we got hit with some Slobber and it froze on the windshield. Had to turn on the defroster to thaw it out and then it smeared all over the place. :(
A word of advice. Don't turn on wipers after dog slobber, pull over and scrape it off. :eek:
We will be heading toward Van Horn Thursday and it looks like more 30 mph headwinds.
I'm sure once we leave San Diego in the middle of January we will be hitting headwinds heading back Eastward into Southern Texan.
Sure Glad this Bighorn travels well in Headwinds.

Safe Travels Everyone,

Jim and Wilma

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We traveled through Texas for about three weeks in May. It was always windy in the north and west parts of the state. Usually 40+ MPH. Like you said, quite often it was in our face. In fact it was very windy all the way back west through New Mexico. At one point I was down to about 35 MPH on the Interstate through New Mexico for hours, pushing a headwind. Not great for fuel mileage.
Once I hit Arizona, the wind stopped.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Yeah we have been having ridiculous amounts of wind this year that just blows your junk everywhere. Can't do anything outside, sucks driving in, etc. I would gladly exchange it for more rain throughout the year.
Even though it seems 80% of drivers completely freak out when water falls from the sky and they either drive extremely too fast in it or do 10 in a 45mph zone. As long as you have decent tires and windshield wipers, the speed limit to 10-15below you should be fine and for goodness sakes turn on your headlights, especially those in grey vehicles in a downpour. Lol off soap box.

TandT

JD,
I agree with you on many peoples driving skills.
We spend much of our winter in a small town in the desert. Very laid back, very slow pace.
Then many city slickers show up when the weather cools down. Everyone is in a hurry! Everytime I go out, there is someone right on my rear end! I'm wondering to myself, where are they in a hurry to get to? The town is only 4 blocks long! (A little off topic, sorry)

HappyKayakers

Jim and Wilma, It's definitely not just you. When I headed up to northern MN for the sugar beet harvest, the wind started kicking out of the north as soon as I got on I-29. One of my RV friends up there assured me the winds would change when I left. Well, they did for a few states. But I elected to sit in a Flying J parking lot in KS for several hours waiting for the wind to switch. Got hammered again after hitting TX but by then I was too close to San Antonio to stop.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we travel West out of Dallas toward Amarillo on our way to SW Colorado, it always seems like an uphill battle to get there. Really bad wind, and the elevation is continuing to slowly rise. New Mexico always has bad crosswinds. Seems like we're stopping to fill up every two hours! Going home, we are always surprised when we make it from Amarillo to Dallas (395 miles) with only one stop for gas.

WilmanJim

I don't believe it. The winds today when we leave Deming NM is only supposed to be 20-30 mph headwinds. That's going to feel like nothing after leaving Guadalupe Mountains with 55-60 mph headwinds. I had to keep the foot on the throttle going down the hills on SR180. Mother Natures Exhaust Brake.
Had a little rain here last night but they sure could use a lot more. It sure is dry.
Next stop is another long 200 mile day to Tucson. Sure is nice to be Full Timers and not have to be in a hurry.
Safe Travels Everyone.

Jim

TandT

Wilmanjim, Just curious, where do you stay in east San diego county?

WilmanJim

Well, Finally made it into Santee Lakes in Santee, CA. Had my doubts for a while with 40+ knott headwinds coming up over Ocotillo. Was able to keep it at 45mph and sure glad it was downhill to Santee to get fuel. :)
Will be at Santee Lakes until Jan 18th if anyone is in the area stop in. If you stop at the gate and let them know you are here to see Jim and Wilma they should let you in for nothing.
Safe Travels Everyone and good luck with the winds.

Jim

Gizzy

We recently got back from a 4 1/2 month, 8,000 mile trip. On travel days we always plan to leave early in the AM and plan our stops for early afternoon. We found the wind is usually not too bad earlier in the day. We only planned for 200-300 miles per day, depending on where we were traveling. We did this primarily to try and save on fuel costs, but we have learned to enjoy the shorter travel days. It works for us.