Heartland 39500 Junk

2BWIRED

Bought my 39500 used, was a year old. It sat on a dealers lot for a year before sold. Original owner owned it less than a year. I purchased it and have owned it a year. Now the frame is rusted all over and leaf spring bolts are breaking. This thing is JUNK, I understand I bought it used and after calling them about the rust issues I know I'm hosed. But seriously, I have had to fix so many things on this, that it is getting ridicules. I mean an $80k camper isn't built better than this. The sink is now falling out of the counter top. This thing doesn't get pulled more than 100 miles a year. All of our campgrounds are close to us. I'm not sure I could take this on a long trip as I do not think it would make it. I have heard of other complaining about rust issues as well. The factory told me that the dealership must not have washed it down when getting it delivered like the were supposed to. I really thought Heartland had a quality product and have recommended it to my other friends who bought a brand new one for $80k. They have the warranty for life through there dealer and have already had a whole laundry list of problems fixed. They also find ways out of replacing or fixing anything the can, Never is it their problem or Junk they sell. :(

danemayer

Hi 2BWIRED,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, and based on where you chose to post, I'm guessing the rust is your primary concern. If the unit was originally transported to the dealer during the winter, it's very possible that the frame and suspension was coated with corrosive road treatments that have taken their toll over the past 3 years.

I think some other owners have used readily available treatments to remove the rust and protect the frame. Perhaps someone will chime in with the name and source of those treatments.

Let me add that if you're just noticing these issues, you may be overdue for repacking of the bearings and maintenance on the brakes. Even if you don't have a lot of towing miles, the lubricants can break down leading to parts failure. Also, the bushings and shackle links on the suspension need to be checked and maintained on a frequent basis. You may have deteriorated bushings or shackle links contributing to the bolt(s) breaking.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Letting a rig sit unmaintained can be much harder on it than using it and doing the routine maintenance. Rust can happen if you travel anywhere roads are treated for ice/snow, or near the cost line.

We travel from TX to Colorado a few times a year and had pretty rusty running gear in our nearly 6 years of ownership of our ElkRidge. Had a shackle snap due to backing into a chock, but upon checking, they were all wearing and had elongated holes. We put 8-10k miles on ours -- and yes, always fixing something -- But that was the opportunity to upgrade, to improve, to make it better and make it our own. All RVs are like that. Even high-end $600k units, none are bulletproof.

Hope you find a way to treat your rust and work through the issues, and get out there and enjoy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes, we have had some rusting of the frame and had to spot spray paint it a couple of times over the last couple of years which isn't uncommon for frame. This is our 5th camper over the last 14 years and have had to do the same preventive maintenance on each one. I agree that having the coach sitting is not good at all. With the sitting and having the weather extremes, alot of the caulking dries up, therefore attentions needs to be given. Not sure how much predelivery inspection your dealer did, or not do, might have caught some of your problems. Good luck.

2BWIRED

I can appreciate what everyone is saying, but I don't think you can get a true understanding of the problem. This thing is less than 3 years old and it is rusted out. I know all about preventive maintenance and maintenance. I have close to a dozen trailers that I service and inspect annually. I have a belshe trailer that I have pulled all over the place in bad weather. I wash it religiously after being exposed to salt exposed roads. It is over 15 years old and it still has paint on the axles and leaf springs. This camper has not been exposed to the elements like all my other trailers. It gets used so it does not just sit. This thing is a rust bucket, there is no excuses for this being in the condition it is in. It is rusting from the inside out, there are chunks of paint falling off from rust pieces. This has to be a prep problem, it looks to me they just shot a single coat of paint on it. I just bought an Imperial car hauler and they use two coats of primer and two coats of paint. It has one small scratch on the deck which was showing the primer. I took a can and sprayed over it so it doesn't rust. The Heartland cyclone will need all the axles removed, sandblast the entire frame and cross braces. New springs and all mounting hardware, new backing plates and drums. It might be cheaper to just replace the axles. I had to drop the belly to replace all valves because all of them had excess glue in them that caused the gaskets to leak. That is when I got to see the true extent of the rust.

I had a very high opinion of Heartland until I got to own one. I am letting anyone who reads this understand what they could be getting into. I have seen other threads and talked to others that have had this same problem. For those of you that do not have a rusting problem be very thankful.

There is very little any one can say that justifies a 3 year old anything rusting out to the point of being unusable. The shackle bolt broke while I was parking it back on the pad. Luckily I seen it laying on the ground and it did not happen going down the road. I have never in the history of towing trailers have I ever had a shackle bolt break. I have had worn shackles before that I replaced with all new parts. I used to work at Ditch Witch and serviced trailers for them and never came across a trailer in this condition.

SNOKING

You do not know the history of what the first owner did with it. Maybe he took it to Texas and got stuck on a beach and had the tide come in on it. Not knowing such things it seems a little unfair to dump on Heartland? Chris

2BWIRED

mfg date of 2013, sold in 2014. Heartland may not manufacture the frame but there name is tied to it. If your going to put your name to it you better make sure the quality is there. If those are the standards that they allow, then that doesn't help your argument about them not manufacturing it. I know I'm out of luck and will have to fix and repair this at my own expense. I just hope I can educate a single soul on their next purchase. Ask how many coats of paint are used and there process. What is the warranty on the frame from rust.

- - - Updated - - -

You do not know the history of what the first owner did with it. Maybe he took it to Texas and got stuck on a beach and had the tide come in on it. Not knowing such things it seems a little unfair to dump on Heartland? Chris
Actually I do know the history of it and who I bought it from. He is a trust worthy and stand up guy. He said he never had it on winter roads or used it over the winter. This is rusting from the inside out. There is a prep problem in there process before paint or lack of paint.

SNOKING

mfg date of 2013, sold in 2014. Heartland may not manufacture the frame but there name is tied to it. If your going to put your name to it you better make sure the quality is there. If those are the standards that they allow, then that doesn't help your argument about them not manufacturing it. I know I'm out of luck and will have to fix and repair this at my own expense. I just hope I can educate a single soul on their next purchase. Ask how many coats of paint are used and there process. What is the warranty on the frame from rust.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I do know the history of it and who I bought it from. He is a trust worthy and stand up guy. He said he never had it on winter roads or used it over the winter. This is rusting from the inside out. There is a prep problem in there process before paint or lack of paint.

So have you talked to Lippert about this?

danemayer

It's telling that you have rust on both the frame and the axles and suspension components. Even if they all came from Lippert, the materials, sourcing, and painting of the various parts are different. That strongly points to environmental causes rather than manufacturing defects.

But your axles and suspension may have come from Dexter. If so, and if both the Lippert frame and Dexter axles/suspension have similar problems, that would be a very strong indicator that the cause is environmental.

Could throwing more paint at the parts prevent environmental damage (at additional cost and a higher price to everyone)? Probably. But the vast majority of trailers don't share the problem you're having, so it's probably not going to happen.

2BWIRED

I would totally agree it's an environment problem. The dexter axles are in way better shape than the frame. The drums are rusty, the backing plates are rusty. The bare metal hardware is way rusty. Maybe you can tell me there manufacturing process. How are the frames delivered to paint. What steps are taken before paint to prevent rust. Do the sandblast before paint? Is it bare metal before paint? How long does a frame sit before paint? Something happened to this before it was purchased.

Maybe the original dealer took to the beach in Texas and parked it in the Ocean.

I like the camper and all of it features, but I think Heartlands quality has something to be desired.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen other post about the rust problem. I would agree it not a wide spread problem, but at 3 years old I would think it should raise some concern. I guess if you enjoy paying premium prices for inferior product, one coat of paint will do.

Jim.Allison

The major paint manufacturers have an industrial/professional primer that comes in red, grey, and black. I have used the Krylon professional primer on some different rebuilds that I have done. One of their claims/benefits is that it stops surface rust, it is self leveling, and can be painted.

I rebuilt a utility trailer that was "rust" (Fe2O3) over black. I painted it with the Krylon Professional primer, I never applied anything but the primer, and I never cleaned the rust off either except for a little hit with a wire brush here and there, that was over 5 years ago. The primer is hanging in there and shows no sign of giving up anytime soon, and there is no visible rust. This does not apply to flaking type rust. But I did apply it over thick surface rust.

If I was having a problem with rust on my frame, axles, etc. I would get in there with a wire brush, and a can of Krylon (or other brand name) professional primer and at least hit the problem areas.

But in the end when you buy used, you are not buying from the manufacturer, you are buying from an individual, buyer beware. I have rarely bought anything used that I did not discover later why it was such a good deal. By definition, buying used is buying from someone who does not want it anymore.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So you are saying the frame up above the coroplast underbelly had rust as well? Maybe the unit was flooded at some point? If enough water was trapped inside the coroplast....?

Can you post pictures?

Here's some of ours, while we replaced our shackles, bolts, bushings and suspension.

Everything has rust. And many of the components were not from the factory-- we upgraded axles, springs and suspension in 2011, and this was 2014.

So I guess that's 3 years of rust on those. The unit itself was built in Sept. 2009.

9feb5ebeb1bece21ea28b1626bf9d833.jpg

fd65cd6a8760d35ad0bae29e0ab2dba8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is what our 2015 Heartland Prowler looked like on the bottom four months after the date of manufacture:

ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg

So I understand your frustration.

Our dealership sprayed some stuff on it and gave it an undercoating that seems to be holding.

However, we are having to replace the rear axle (the one pictured) already in roughly 5000 miles and not quite a year and a half since the purchase.

That being said . . . we love our Prowler and can't wait for our next trip!

Capt7383

Look into a product called fluid film. My big country has alot of rust also and I cant remember parking it in the ocean. It has never been towed in the winter. But boy is it rusty. Fluid film is a great product, look it up

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, Lippert frames are powder coated.
And yes Fluid Film is a good product used in northern states and Canada. Kinda messy though.

Peace
Dave

LBR

Generally one can anticipate a new build hitting highways shortly after it's build date, so am curious to that date OP? If during certain times thru cold country, it may have gotten a couple days of deicer tossed up onto it....maybe the receiving dealer didn't drop coroplast and spray entire underside/underbelly?

Here on the west coast, there is a play area called Pismo Beach that has swamped many TH victims with salt water...heaven forbid it had seen such abuse as those I-dots!!.....lol

carl.swoyer

I keep a quart of Rustoleum satin black water clean up in my 2012 landmark. I wipe the metal frame down with mineral spirits then apply the rustoleum. It lays out nice and the finish is smooth. I spend alot of the time in Keywest it's just maintenance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I live in road salt rust heaven - upstate NY. We store the stuff in huge mountains along the sides of the road. I know what salt can do, so here's what I can add to this thread:

• never park your RV in the ocean :rolleyes:
  • obviously, RV frames and undercarriages are not treated nearly as well as automotive chassis (I can say this because although auto frames do rust up here, it's nothing compared to the pictures that are being posted here, especially after such a short period of time). The interesting thing about this is that RV's aren't exactly cheap. so why aren't the frames treated similarly to automotive frames?
  • I can't help but wonder if getting the coach into Ziebart (or some similar establishment) before it rusts out would be good idea. It seems that if you have a new coach, it might be worth a couple of hundred up front to prevent this mess.
  • Regarding painting over the rust, that certainly will help but you'll never get into those spaces between the metal and other surfaces where rust thrives and weakens the structure.

Just opining.