Heartland is curious. What do you think about this?

What do you think of this design feature?

• We like it.

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • We don't care for it at all.

Votes: 108 81.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Floor plan is interesting however do not like the stairs the way they are stored. Also I agree with some post that it may be difficult having the door in slide with campgrounds usually set up for it in the middle of the unit and alot of campgrounds I've been to would have been a problem getting into the unit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am wondering if you can get to anything if you can't open the slide where the door is. I didn't read, can you open the slides from outside the trailer, or do you have to go in, first? I thought it wasn't a good idea to walk on the slides when they are pulled in.

We have very little room between spaces at our storage yard. This coach would not be easy to get into in that location!

Another thing to consider, how much more movement will be felt inside the rig as people go up and down these stairs?

I like the open feel and the design of the front bath. But this door on the slide doesn't seem like a "must have".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Instead of the latest and greatest floorplans like the competition, how about some quality tires as standard equipment and quality furniture and mattresses like some of the competitors have? JMHO...Don

Aside from the stairs, there are a lot of neat features on the brand, the roof (pricey, but I would get it), the UDC, room for four batteries etc
How about the macerator toilet? I would opt for those in any floor plan, would probably "eliminate" many little issues (and add one or two). As to upgrades, the higher end models has MOR/ryde IS listed, as well as disc brakes and 17.5" tires - all options I added to urs post purchase.

Not without the cost though, I priced out the highest end model with options I would choose, lists out at $150K.

The Stair inside airplane style idea makes a lot of sense though, then it could be added to the slide sidewall. That would be more interesting for all of the reasons above.

B

BouseBill

Personally I like the idea, BUT as others have already pointed out the downsides I'll add two I did not see. Slide stabilizers? With the added weight of the stairs and people entering and exiting the rig how long before you start having slide problems? And no hand rail(s) that I can see for ease of entry and exit other than the small one by the door.

dalspot

I think the door opens backwards. I don't like that it won't go past 90 degrees. Reverse it, with the customary 180-degree latch. I had always read that one should not stabilize a slide. Which is what the steps are doing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I first read this and was not able to see the video, I was skeptical about the whole thing. But after seeing the video, the amenities, and the interior, if I was looking for a new rig, I'd be seriously considering this one. Some minor things I might like optioned differently could be the half-bath (we don't need it), which could become a large closet/pantry. Not keen about the entertainment center, since I really like the desk in my BH3670, but I could deal with it. I'd loose the four dining chairs and keep our two Windsor (?) chairs we now have. The Rhino roof looks like a great innovation over the standard rubber one. I wonder if it were somehow damaged if the repair might just be having the coating reapplied over the repair. Very interesting.

tcbrady

Thanks to all for your feedback! General response has not been so great on the entrance door in the slideroom. We will still consider this concept on a floorplan that is unique to Heartland and we would like to get even more feedback from you after this is complete. Stay tuned and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Best regards, Coley

porthole

Retired
Thanks to all for your feedback! General response has not been so great on the entrance door in the slideroom. We will still consider this concept on a floorplan that is unique to Heartland and we would like to get even more feedback from you after this is complete. Stay tuned and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Best regards, Coley

A
The Stair inside airplane style idea makes a lot of sense though, then it could be added to the slide sidewall. That would be more interesting.

John, Rhino is fairly easy to repair. It just is a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. I can't imagine what it would cost for a roof, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

I have a 12'x6.5' with a V-nose motorcycle trailer with a 6'x6' ramp. When I had the interior rhino lined is was a by the square foot price, $6 per square for 1/8" and $9 for 1/4"

Niles

We were curious as what the price for the roof would be, so called a local Rhino dealer. He knew exactly what we were talking about, said he had just done some tram car roofs for the railway system. Hold on to your shorts to do a roof it is $16 per square foot. Maybe someone else might do better getting it priced out, but that's what the guy in Kokomo,IN wants. I was sold till then. Just guessing on our 3670 with four slides,maybe 400 sq foot, that means about $6400 for the project. Maybe NOT.

Mizmary

Thread jack: you aren't supposed to stabilize the slides? You aren't supposed to lift them up, but with two kids bouncing around in here we would be seasick constantly without the slide jacks?

Lance & Jo

We have only been full timing/traveling in our 4 slide rig for little over 3 years now but I can think of several RV parks where we have stayed that the trailer extended the full width of the site. We would not have been able to stay in those places with this arrangement. The other thought would depend on interior design. We often stop for lunch (pit stop) in places where we cannot extend a slide so need a floor plan that allows access to fridge and head and bedroom area for short nap.

Greengas

Agree!! Rhino roof coating is a MUST (being one that has damaged the rubber roof scraping a tree limb). Also REALLY LIKE the water manifold. So many water issues would be non-events IF you had the ability to shut-off the offending problem. I know for the manufacturer it is all about costs, however me, from a buyer standpoint, I would trade some of the "poofy" decorative items for these essentials (in my humble opinion).
As for the entry door in the slide, I really do like the floor-plan. I DO NOT however like the appearance of the steps when stowed for travel. Maybe the steps could be vynal coated to match the rig color, and also eliminate the ugly faded look and rusty hardware after a few years of age. Also this type of configuration may limit campground sites as many sites do not have the necessary width.

X2 to everything the Flying Dutchman said.

Thats_Ok

I could see doing the entry door if 5th wheels go to the full wall slides.
The way the steps stow on the trailer kind of puts me off with the Petersen design.

ParkIt

As others have mentioned, it looks like a good option with a few changes interior and some way to hide the steps instead of them being outside. Stabilizing on that slide is an issue of course so you don't feel like you are in a bouncy house and full opening of the door is another.

Parks are gradually widening what they can but not by much, I'm thinking it may take a few years to get that caught up, we are pretty jammed in most of them for now without a door and steps extending the slide area.
It's a good idea to move forward with and get the market to consider those that travel to really open places, it would probably fit the needs like the Gateway does.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We were curious as what the price for the roof would be, so called a local Rhino dealer. He knew exactly what we were talking about, said he had just done some tram car roofs for the railway system. Hold on to your shorts to do a roof it is $16 per square foot. Maybe someone else might do better getting it priced out, but that's what the guy in Kokomo,IN wants. I was sold till then. Just guessing on our 3670 with four slides,maybe 400 sq foot, that means about $6400 for the project. Maybe NOT.

That is not really all that bad of a price considering you'll ave that much or possibly more to replace with the same rubber roof.

bwc1950

I am a YES, I like it. I think the concept is intriguing. It definitely allows for a longer curb side slideout and I'm always in favor of bigger/longer slides (full wall would be terrific). Didn't care for the step storage, but isn't that an issue that RV design engineers can solve. Putting the door between the dining table and the recliners certainly defines and separates the areas. Make the kitchen area bigger. Your designers could probably make this work and several of your floor plans and probably a few new ones.

Westwind

I watched the video the day they introduced this new feature, definitely not something I would be interested in. Campground sites are tight enough as it is and this not something that would work because of the width of the rig once the stairs were down and the awning which would also be a problem. The awning would be limited in width also unless you had two on that side of the Fifth Wheel.

Niles

Hey Mark you're right I did ask what it would take to replace the rubber roof, and surprising enough it isn't that much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.