Heated under belly

The_Toads

We are getting fresh water (cold) to the bathroom sink and shower only. The hot water is frozen as well as the fresh water to the kitchen. We have a 29 RSKA the with the kitchen at the reat there is a lot of piping. But the weather has only been 17 degrees at night, so I suspect that the "heated under belly" is not working.

Suggestions please

B

bwwalczak

This sounds like a heat routing issue. Envionmental conditions vary, but you are right, something does not sound correct. Have you been able to follow the heat lines after removing the access panel in compartment? One heat line may be blocked or crimped.

This is a rare occurance, but I have heard of heat line blockages before.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Crank up the thermostat setting on your propane forced air furnace and stop using an electric heater if in use.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Toads,

We had similar issues when the temps got below 10 degrees. We had a 100-watt bulb in the access area behind the basement, and it stayed a nice 40-50 degrees, even when the temps got below zero at night! Hooked up to city water, we got water everywhere except the kitchen. Running off freshwater tank, nothing, no where. I suspect it is either the low-point drains freezing up the lines (even though we had them wrapped with pipe insulation). OR the heat in the underbelly is not sufficient to keep things from freezing. I'm open to suggestions/solutions as well. I have 1 month till my warranty is up.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you take it to dealer...have them check to see if any hot or cold water lines are against the frame. You could drop (not cut) the underbelly and check yourself and also make sure that the heat duct from the heater is directed the correct way. How far away is the hot water heater from the kitchen??

TravelTiger

I was considering dropping the underbelly, but I know it is a pain. May have to wait till Spring. When I take anything to the dealer we are looking at a month or more down-time. :( The distance from the water heater to the kitchen in our case is only about 6-7 feet. The water heater is located just below the shower.
34QSRL.jpg

TT

The_Toads

Thank you for the info. The water heater is at the left rear, the kitchen is on the opposite side. We have a 29 RSKA. The pipes finally opened up yesterday when the weather got above 32 degrees. It is now raining. The trailer will go in next week and the dealer is going to do a pressure check (???) and check the tank heaters to see if they are working. I intend to ask them to check the heater ducts because just after we got the trailer (should have been caught at the dealer before we took ownership) the #2 grey tank sprung a leak, the clamp connection between tank and dump valve broke. So they were under the trailer (cut a hole out of the under belly) to fix it so they may have move something that was in the way?

The_Toads

This sounds like a heat routing issue. Envionmental conditions vary, but you are right, something does not sound correct. Have you been able to follow the heat lines after removing the access panel in compartment? One heat line may be blocked or crimped.

This is a rare occurance, but I have heard of heat line blockages before.

Thank you Brian, but I am not sure that I understand the part about "removing the access panel in the compartment"????.. What and where is the compartment?

irvin56

Travel tiger.
nice layout. Quite a difference to the NT 21fbs, A few more feet and lots of room to enjoy.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thank you for the info. The water heater is at the left rear, the kitchen is on the opposite side. We have a 29 RSKA. The pipes finally opened up yesterday when the weather got above 32 degrees. It is now raining. The trailer will go in next week and the dealer is going to do a pressure check (???) and check the tank heaters to see if they are working. I intend to ask them to check the heater ducts because just after we got the trailer (should have been caught at the dealer before we took ownership) the #2 grey tank sprung a leak, the clamp connection between tank and dump valve broke. So they were under the trailer (cut a hole out of the under belly) to fix it so they may have move something that was in the way?

Just to be clear here, your rig does NOT have electric tank heaters unless your dealer installed them as an after-market product. They are not a factory option.

The_Toads

Well we have been told that the trailer has tank heaters along with a switch in the main control closet. If they are after market, that I am not sure, but thank you for asking.

Toads: we have the EXACT same problem, with the same exact model: 2010 RKSA29

Basically, between 17 to 20 degrees, the bathroom cold water works. Bathroom hot water and kitchen hot & cold does NOT work.

Below 17 degrees, (it was 14 the otherday) nothing works- the water pump wont even go on or make the sound when i flick the switch.

I have the furnace running all day and all night at 72. It burns 3.4 gallons of propane for a 24 hour period, all for naught.

The only time all the water works is when it goes above 20 degrees.

Gray 2 i couldnt pull a lever til i stuck a 60w lightbulb on the lever handle and poured 10 gallons of boiling water down the kitchen sink and let it sit for 1/2 hour. I think this is the south pole area.

I bought the ElkRidge after telling the dealer i needed a winter-capable rig because I ski and travel during winter. The brochure says "Comfortable at zero degrees, tested!"

I think taking a warm shower and not having to smell the toilet because it cant flush is within the realms of COMFORTABLE. I brought it to the dealer yesterday, and they didnt even bother looking if the underbelly heat vent was directly properly or whatever - they just said that Heartland told them it should have a skirt to be "comfortable at zero". Well, it doesnt say that on the brochure or website nor did the salesman tell me that a skirt was even an option. I will call them tomorrow and complain. Please let me knwo if you find a fix.

Opening the underbelly to install a heating pad on the tank and other electric/heating tape on the pipes will cost a minimum of 2 working hours, with additional 1.5 hours per tank. At $110/hour its gonna cost a ton to get it working right!

Does anyone have experience with stock configuration , just add a skirt and everything doesnt freeze?

Thanks

Called Heartland, and they said YES, freezing water pipes/tanks is within the realm of COMFORTABLE. when they say COMFORTABLE in their advertising it means you are sitting in the cabin and warm, but not using any water. wow..they should put a big asterisk there.

We asked if they thought perhaps our hot air ducting to the underbelly has a kink and not blowing hot air all the way through to the pipes, she said NO, its all correct and we just need to go buy a skirt which they do not provide nor sell.

Pretty crazy..its like BMW advertising "This car can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds" and you buy it and when you find out it doesnt, they say..you have to buy an after market turbo to do that which we dont offer.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Called Heartland, and they said YES, freezing water pipes/tanks is within the realm of COMFORTABLE. when they say COMFORTABLE in their advertising it means you are sitting in the cabin and warm, but not using any water. wow..they should put a big asterisk there.

We asked if they thought perhaps our hot air ducting to the underbelly has a kink and not blowing hot air all the way through to the pipes, she said NO, its all correct and we just need to go buy a skirt which they do not provide nor sell.

Pretty crazy..its like BMW advertising "This car can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds" and you buy it and when you find out it doesnt, they say..you have to buy an after market turbo to do that which we dont offer.

You might want to try a few more things to improve the heat loss. I insulated the cargo doors and propane box with foil bubble wrap and seal every crack of the underbelly covering. The foil bubble wrap (4' x 25' @ Lowe's) can also be applied to the side of the exposed frame with hard as nails adhesive. I had to use pipe heat wrap on the exposed underbelly drain piping, also added a work type light near the water pump and piping.

The_Toads

Well thank you very much for the information. I have contacted both the local Heartland service department and the salesman that sold us our unit. The trailer is schedule for a visit to the service department on the 13th of this month. We do have tank heaters and they will be checked out at that time, but from your description we may be at a loss to get any satisfaction.

I agree that is extremely leading and inappropriate advertising on Heartlands part, but we will see what will happen in the upcomiing weeks.

Thank you for your time.
Dean & Judy
The_Toads

TravelTiger

Do not under estimate what Heartland will do. I would recommend you print out the forum threads where others have similar problems to show your dealer, and be clear that this was not what you expected when you purchased the unit. I would ask the dealer to confirm that there are no manufacturing defects. Then you can accept that this is the limitation of the unit as constructed, and then go about trying to add insulation, etc. as others have done.