Heater System

TheWolfes

We have looked at the manuals and still don't understand about our heating system. We have a LM365 Newport. Can we put the controls on Furnace set it to the temp we want and it will come on? I guess what I am asking is will it run on electric or do we have to have propane to run the furnace? Thanks

Bones

Re: ATF: Landmark - Heater System

Furnace needs propane but I understand some landmarks have heat-pumps in them too so check your AC units.

TheWolfes

We had to use the 2nd thermostat in order for the heat to come on. We are running it on Propane.... Sure thought we had a heat pump but the thermostat didn't give the HP option so I guess we don't. We wonder if a heat pump can be added to the existing system. Thanks for the help.

GregP

It is my understanding that heat pumps are not designed to heat efficiently when outside temps drop into the 40's and have a low temperature cut-off that prevents them from operating when the temperatures are too low. The propane furnace would be the primary heat source in cold weather, but could be supplemented by using electric heaters if power is available.

danemayer

A heat pump is not an add on feature to an air conditioner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ksucats

On our Key West there are two Dometic controllers in the hallway, one above the other. With the top one you turn it on and then using Mode you can step through its features (fan, AC, HP, Furn); the lower one has the same set up less the HP (Heat Pump). I had the heat pump on first and the furnace never came on. Turned the top Dometic controller off and the furnace fired right up and heated very well.

Greg brought up an interesting point; just like a B&S heat pump unit, the colder the outside air gets, the less efficient the heat pump gets. I'm not sure of the point when the Dometic stops but on my American Standard home unit, it will run at -10F (belief is that even at that cold of a temperature that there is still some heat that can be pulled from the air -- scientifically, possibly, personally -- it is too dang cold to even worry about it). The inside auxiliary heat kicks on at 20 or so degrees regardless.

Now, if you are planning any forays into temperatures below freezing, you MUST have the furnace running to get heat into the belly. I've seen a lot of posts over the years where people use ceramic space heaters in the coach (even the fireplace heater at times ;) ) but those do nothing for heating the belly and keeping the tanks and water lines a bit warmer. Their later posts describe some of the fun that they have had thawing things out. Personal experience - it does not take long at minus anything to freeze up water lines and fresh water tank. Seemed to take a whole lot longer to thaw than to freeze. Rough lesson learned. :eek:

Last edited: