hello folks, i have a equalizer wd hitch trying set it up correctly

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What I like about the chain system is that it is easy to hookup no matter how much stuff you put in the back of the truck.

Just have the stuff in the truck when you hitch up!

No spacers to screw around with depending on what you are taking with you.

I drop the trailer on the ball with the stuff I plan on carrying in the back of the truck (plus always fill the gas tank before I hitch up), then crank the trailer and truck up until they both are slightly above level (after you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it) . . . put the torsion bars on, then crank down the trailer.

This generally is the perfect setup.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The only time I have had to mess with spacers is when I changed trucks and once when I made a major change in the setup. Otherwise, I rarely, have to change the settings and don't have to mess with added anti-sway bars or noise. My hitch is usually very quiet, too.

JohnD

When I get my trailer back from getting both axles replaced, we'll have to readjust my hitch setups all over again.

Ironically, it looks as though I'll be able to go back to the old drop-down I had for my old truck as the trailer will be back at the height it is supposed to be.

That $500 I spent on all the new hitch setup when I bought my new truck was wasted, as it turns out . . .

nostrokin

well I set it up and pulled it over the weekend . felt better not as much bounce,,,, but on the return trip it was raining and when I was pulling from a stop light , well the back tires want to spin on wet pavement. I might want some more weight to the rear tires of truck. do you guys agree with that?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
well I set it up and pulled it over the weekend . felt better not as much bounce,,,, but on the return trip it was raining and when I was pulling from a stop light , well the back tires want to spin on wet pavement. I might want some more weight to the rear tires of truck. do you guys agree with that?

You could accomdate those conditions by several methods.

1. add weight to truck bed or tongue
2. adjust the L brackets
3. Add/ remove spacer to adjust

You probably are a bit over adjusted at this point so you probably want to try adjusting the L bracket as this is the easiest way to change the adjustment. If you want this to be pretty temporary then add weight to the truck bed.

'Lil Guy'

Sounds like to much tension on the bars. You're actually trying to lift the rear of the truck with your WDH. You need more tongue weight. Sounds like you don't have your hitch anywhere near right. You need to measure your wheel well height before trailer is hitched. Try to keep those same ratios after hitching front to rear on the TV. Without pics, it's haard to guess your problem. At this point, I'd take it to a dealer and have them set it up for you.

JohnD

Sounds like to much tension on the bars. You're actually trying to lift the rear of the truck with your WDH. You need more tongue weight. Sounds like you don't have your hitch anywhere near right. You need to measure your wheel well height before trailer is hitched. Try to keep those same ratios after hitching front to rear on the TV. Without pics, it's haard to guess your problem. At this point, I'd take it to a dealer and have them set it up for you.

This sounds exactly right.

I agree that if one doesn't know how to correctly get the truck and trailer set up right that it should be done by someone that knows how to do it correctly, then show you how to hitch it up correctly.

I was told by my hitch shop when I got my new truck that I wouldn't need the WD stuff as the truck is more than enough truck for our trailer due to it's built-in sway control . . . plus the fact that it is a 2500HD monster compared to my old Dodge 1500..

However, I prefer to have it hitched up with the torsion bars just for the added safety!

I don't know . . . there is just something scary about a trailer that big hooked up with just the ball and a couple of chains.

Anyway, when I hook up my torsion bars I really don't have to raise the new truck very much . . . just enough so that when I lower the crank it puts some pressure (trailer weight through to the frame of the truck).

Now, on my old Dodge Ram 1500, I had to put a lot more weight through the WD setup.

When I get my trailer back from the shop after getting both axles and spring sets replaced (plus new, larger wheels and tires), my trailer should be about six inches high than it sits right now, so will have to get my hitch stuff all readjusted again!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Since the back of your truck seems like the tires slip you probably have too much weight shifted to the front. You can remove a spacer washer or lower the L-Bracket.

Page 19 of instructions details the issue and how to correct it. Over-Adjustment.
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/e2_trunnion_instructions_0212.pdf

Once you have the hitch adjusted for the proper weight distribution, Then follow on Step 7 Trailer Angle Adjustment, Page 20. To fine tune how level your setup appears.