Hello from new member

1979w72

Just want to say hi. We (self, wife, and two boys) bought our first camper last winter - a Jayco 308RETS. While we really like the TT, I can tell that I want to move to a FW in the next year or so. That's why I joined your group, to help get familiar with the Heartland brand in general and the Big Horn/Landmark in particular. Those models are on the research list along with the Jayco Pinnacle and the Keystone Alpine, although I'm sure some others will be added as we go. It looks like this site is a great resource for the type of information I'll be looking for as we plan the next move.

Tom

jimtoo

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and someday soon to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You will see lots of comments, both good and bad. The factory does monitor a few of the areas for ideas of what the people want and also to help out with questions and service.

We also have a Heartland Owners Club that is inexpensive to join when you own a Heartland unit and has great benefits.

Enjoy the forum and join our family.

Jim M

1979w72

Jim,

Thanks for the welcome. I have no idea yet where we will end up, but this site definitely has the information will help us get there. I've seen lots of sub-forums here specific to the kind of data I'm wanting to watch for a while.

I've seen numerous positive posts on brand neutral forums regarding Heardland products and some of the floorplans are just what we're looking for.

Brian,

It's pretty rare when someone understands that tag. I've got three sitting in one of the barns waiting on some TLC. They may end being projects for the boys to finish if I don't get around to them.

They haven't seen the light of day in many years, so the pics are pretty bad. The 1981 charcoal one was my first, got it in high school. It came with the 301 engine which lasted a year and was replaced by a warmed over Pontiac 455. The 1979 gold and 1978 blue ones I got in the early 90's, both 400 4-speed models.

Too many projects, not enough time.

IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0005.jpg BlueFront.jpg

Last edited:

brianharrison

Tom,

The available time will come - just a lot later than we think. I was 16 in 1979 and an older friend had a blue 79 TA 400 4 speed, t-roof snowflake rims. I loved that car but alas was only 16 and no money and the parents said "you want what!?!".

Fast forward to early 90s and I started to collect older cars to restore. Was pretty slow as life got in the way.

I landed on big block fords (FEs) and currently are working on a number of 69/70 cougars - they made quite an impression on me when I was younger with the hide-a-way headlights, sequential tail-lights, etc. My youngest is 18 and off to university this fall - the resto time has picked up again.

There is hope!!!

Anyhow - welcome aboard. I used this forum for a while before I bought my Landmark. Great site with great members and info......

Brian

Attachments

• 69 428SCJ.jpg
    69 428SCJ.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 21
  • 70 Eliminator.JPG
    70 Eliminator.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 69 390 Vert_May 03.jpg
    69 390 Vert_May 03.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 21

CliffP

Welcome Tom! My brother had a twin to your Gold '79 which I borrowed for my Junior Prom. I had an 81 with the 4.9 liter turbo. They were known for weak cranks, was that what killed your 4.9?

1979w72

Brian - those are some really nice looking examples you have there.

CliffP - In my case, it was actually the 160HP rating that did in the normally aspirated 301. It came out along with the Turbo 200 so I could be competitive when the need arose ;)

Last edited:

dave10a

Tom, I love you objectivity and method of evaluation. I would wish you good luck in you search, but I don't think I don't think luck has anything to do with proper research. BTY I bought cars like that when they were new--- oops I just dated myself :eek: