Hello from Philadelphia

ziggysun

Hello,

My husband and I are new to the Heartland family, currently have SOB Travel Trailer that isn't even a year old yet and decided to upgrade to a 5th wheel.

This past Monday we put down a deposit on a 2016 Big Country 3650RL. We're pretty sure it's a leftover Show Model that's been sitting at the Dealer's for awhile now. They need to prep it so our PDI has not been scheduled yet, we're hoping for next week sometime.

Judy

jimtoo

Hi Judy and your husband,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Just do a really good PDI. Hopefully the dealer will take good care of you and anything you find not to your liking.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the HL forum and family. Don't be a stranger. Lots of great info and people here. Make sure to check out the Heartland Owners Club. That is one of the best reasons to purchase a HL product. By attending rallies you can begin to put faces to the people you meet on this forum. Really great group of HOC members in your state. We just returned from a rally in Pa. and NY..
Again congrats on your new rig and hope to meet you down the road. Enjoy.

Oregon_Camper

Hello,

My husband and I are new to the Heartland family, currently have SOB Travel Trailer that isn't even a year old yet and decided to upgrade to a 5th wheel.

This past Monday we put down a deposit on a 2016 Big Country 3650RL. We're pretty sure it's a leftover Show Model that's been sitting at the Dealer's for awhile now. They need to prep it so our PDI has not been scheduled yet, we're hoping for next week sometime.

Judy

The PDI is something you should be doing, perferably without the sales guy there. I created a PDI document that I share to anyone that wants it. You can get from the link in my signature below. Plan on spending around 4 hours to complete. Do no sign the paperwork (ie..pay for trailer) until they complete all the items you find during the PDI.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congrats on your soon to be condo on wheels. We had a 2012 Big Country 3650 and loved it. Yes the PDi is very important and will be your best friend in the long run. Document, document, document.

Bones

I know everyone is saying to check your PDI and they are correct but make sure you have a strong enough truck to pull that fiver as well. That is a big jump on weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and welcome to the club. :cool:

ziggysun

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome! Sorry, I just realized that I didn't state my husband's name, which is Mike.

Great advice from everyone regarding the PDI and making sure we have the right tow vehicle, thank you! We have a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab, DRW with 4.10 rears, Aisin trans and factory air bag thing (beyond my skill set what the air bag thing is or how it works, that's hubby's department LOL)

Since this unit is sitting on the dealer's lot we had the ability to go over all the cosmetic things before we put down a deposit, but since there were no batteries and it wasn't connected to any type of power source we weren't able to check out anything mechanical yet, which we realize are the more important items.

ziggysun

Welcome, that floor plan is similar to our BH3575el which we love. Installing a surge protector is very important. I installed a hard wired one with remove panel. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-HW50C-Electrical-Management/dp/B003AN1UA8

With 50amp service loosing AC neutral will burn up all your AC applances. Chris

Thank you for the advice. We already purchased the Progressive Industries 50 amp portable one (EMS-PT50C) when we bought our current Travel Trailer, we have 2 A/C's in that so we have a 50 amp service and thought that a 5th wheel may be in our future one day so opted for portable vs. hardwired.

ziggysun

The PDI is something you should be doing, perferably without the sales guy there. I created a PDI document that I share to anyone that wants it. You can get from the link in my signature below. Plan on spending around 4 hours to complete. Do no sign the paperwork (ie..pay for trailer) until they complete all the items you find during the PDI.

I printed out your document...Thank you!

ziggysun

I'll be sure to check out the Heartland Owner's Club.

We recently were returning from a trip a few weeks back and while stopped at a rest area in Delaware met a Heartland Owner's Club member and his wife that have a Big Country. Unfortunately we did not get their names, we were interested in their opinion of their 5th wheel. While chatting we told them that we were just at the Hershey RV Show and they told us about the rally they attended in Lake George, NY. Sounds like they are great events.