help again with ice maker

divedreamer

when my ice maker or supply line started leaking I got lucky got it shut down immediately with the auto shut off arm in the refer. it took me a day to find the supply line valve, but I found it. I didn't get any responses as to how to get to where the supply line hooks into the ice maker itself and was hoping someone might be able to help. The top refer vent has an aluminum cover on the inside of the vent covering most of the hole. It is screwed to the opening from the inside. Does the access to the ice maker only happen with the removal of the refrigerator? I don't want to start a warranty claim if it is just a loose fitting. I have the Norcold 121X 4 door in a 2013 Big Horn 3610RE. Thanks

Brad

DougAndJudy

Were you able to locate the leak source?

We have a similar refrigerator in our Landmark. We had a leak in the 1/4" line that goes from the cold water supply to the supply valve at the back of the fridge. The 1/4" line seems so be where most leak problems occur. Inside the lower vent is a solenoid-activated valve with 1/4" poly line going in and a 3/4" hose fitting (?) going to the icemaker itself. We didn't actually see the leak, but the thoroughly soaked carpeting in the living room suggested there was one. I replaced the 1/4" line and the leak problem was solved.

With luck the leak is in the 1/4" line and not the one from the valve to the icemaker.

Hope this helps.

divedreamer

Thanks. I still can't tell from where the water came. I thought it was from above, but like I said I can't see where the line hooks to the ice maker.

So you were in Gillette. I almost came over to meet some people. I was only home a few days and there just wasn't enough time.

Brad

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
DW found water in the drawer under the refer yesterday.
I investigated and thought it was where the 1/4" line connected to.the solenoid.
I replaced the fitting and tried it, but it was still wet.
Turns out there was a pin hole in the tubing emitting a very fine spray, about 12" back from the fitting.
It was so fine that I missed it the 1st time. IMHO, it was caused by making contact with back of the refer apparatus.
I shortened up the tubing and reconnected and all is good.
I also put a brass sleeve inside the tubing before connecting.
It is my past experience that it helps the plastic tubing retain it's shape, so the pressure washer can't crush it when tightened. Trace

Last edited:
Glad you found the leak,,,but,,,,,I used to to just shorten up the water line,and it would spring a leak from a new area in just a week or two.When I find one of these leaks ,I replace the whole line from the shut off valve to the solenoid of the ice maker.And I have found out that the new line will spring a leak (a very small pin hole,just like you found)in a year or two.What I do now is wrap the new water line with aluminum tape,specifically the area up to the water solenoid at the back of the refrigerator.Or replace it with copper,or some other material that doesn't degrade with the heat from the back of a RV refrigerator.That 1/4 inch tubing is cheap to replace,but it does not seem to last without some sort of heat protection
Rich

57chevyconvt

Ditto the information that Doug has to offered. I had to replace the 1/4" polyethylene line to the ice maker in my BH after the fist year of operation. At the suggestion of others on this forum, I went to Lowe's and purchased a reinforced hose that is specifically made for the this purpose in an residential application. It took a little effort to snake the new line into place using the original line as a fish tape. The new line will connect directly to the solenoid valve as Doug noted. I added a 1/4" needle valve prior to the solenoid valve so that I could have a way of purging the water line prior to connecting the solenoid valve. We don't use the ice maker that much since we are not full timers, therefore purging the ice make water line prevents me from having to run several cycles of ice cubes before getting good fresh ice.

divedreamer

So from this I gather that the leaking is very near where the 1/4 inch line connects to the Solenoid. The solenoid must be on the other side of what looks like a garden hose connector. I initially did not find water below that, but it was wet soon after the discovery. Never saw any sign of leaking or pin hole sprays. I guess I just assumed it would be up near the ice maker itself. I will keep looking (after a quick trip to San Francisco and Monterey this weekend (-: )
Brad