Help getting surround sound from TV

Gizzy

Help ya'll. A while back, thanks to help from the forum, I ordered the needed items and got the surround sound to work great thru the TV. Today I called DISH to activate the Pay-As-You-Go with the Tailgater and all went well until I attempted to use the surround sound and got nothing. Switched back to normal (cable) TV and the surround sound worked great. Anyone had the same experience and if so, is there an easy fix. I would sure love to be able to use it with both regular AND satellite. Any good advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Jerry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I like to use the digital audio output from the dish receiver into the surround receiver. You'll need a special digital audio cable to do this. You can still use phono cables from the TV to the surround for cable viewing, switch audio inputs on the surround using the remote when watching dish. DVD's will be as always, through the surround.

Gizzy

I like to use the digital audio output from the dish receiver into the surround receiver. You'll need a special digital audio cable to do this. You can still use phono cables from the TV to the surround for cable viewing, switch audio inputs on the surround using the remote when watching dish. DVD's will be as always, through the surround.

Thanx Ray. As usual the forum always comes through. Guess I'm off to wally World tomorrow to do some shopping. Hope it will be as easy as it sounds.

danemayer

Jerry,

Before shopping, take a look at the audio output connections on the Satellite Receiver and the available audio input connections on the surround sound. We have an Illustrated Guide to Audio Connections that shows which cables and additional devices get used to bridge different connector situations, as well as links to low price sources.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanx Ray. As usual the forum always comes through. Guess I'm off to wally World tomorrow to do some shopping. Hope it will be as easy as it sounds.
Jerry, as Dan mentioned, check your equipment but I'm pretty sure you'll find the Optical audio available on both the surround receiver and dish receiver.

wdk450

I went shopping for a Toslink (Optical Digital Audio) connection cable for my system at my local WalMart a few weeks ago - they didn't have it. I could of probably gotten it locally at Best Buy or Radio Shack, but bought it online.

Eddhuy

Just as well, WalMart is expensive for cables. I go to Fry's for cables, usually best prices around.