Help me make a decision: Big Horn or Oakmont

stew0720

I'm trying to decide between a BigHorn 3970RD and the Oakmont 392RD. They are basically the same floor plan, but Oakmont is around 15k cheaper. Full Disclosure: this is for a deer lease camper for me and the family, will be used for a few other trips throughout the year (not for full time use). I'm assuming most would say the Big Horn (or the Oakmont for that matter) is way overkill for a deer lease camper, but my wife likes nice things and she wants to stay in a nice place when she brings the young kiddos (we use the lease year-round for glamping etc)

That being said: i've got the MSRP sheets side by side, can somebody help me with the differences? On paper there's not that much, but there has to be more, like maybe less insulation or something else construction-wise.

any help would be appreciated. again, looking for what makes the Oakmont so much cheaper, while being the same floorplan.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Ok here we go, the Oakmont is lighter, shorter, has less water and waste capacity, has a much lower insulation r value in the walls and floor, smaller water heater, smaller oven. It also sleeps more people and has one more slide than the BH. Other than that the tires that come on the BH are rated higher I bet.

Aandaar

As a new owner of a 3970RD, we love it. However if you are going to be using this for deer camp and will have more than two people sleeping in it. I would look else where. Both of them are really only set up for two sleeping comfortable. Yes the two couches fold out for the occasional guest. But I would not wish that nights sleep on my worst enemy.

IMO the BHs are more in line for fulltime RVing for two. Based on what you describe I would look at the Oakmont 375QB or 395QB.

Just my .02

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree, the Bighorn may be overkill for occasional use. It's geared toward fulltime living. You may not need all those bells and whistles for your intended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk