HELP Plugged 220 volt in plug and noticed gray/white smoke

wdk450

okay all were right took it to local rv expert he knew right away said NO WAY 220 should be going into rv ,, so now the process of repairing all equiment and a note had I used my surge protector on cord I proably wouldnt of blown equiment so now I am unwraping protect and will use... Electrcian is making good on damage

Actually, on 50 amp RV service, 220 volts IS going into the RV, but in most all RV's it is never used that way. I have heard that some high end Class A diesel pushers use the 220 volts on a few appliances. On all Heartlands, the two opposite 50 amp phases are only used as separate 110 volt sources. See "50 Amp Service" on this link:
http://www.myrv.us/electric/index.htm

Aristakat

Wow, I would be interesting what it all cost, once its fixed. Good thing he has insurance, or at least I hope he does. That's got to be at least $6,000 or more in repairs, I would thinks.

Not exactly on all BUT once done will give you breakdown,

microwave checking to see if has internal breaker
Fridge can be fixed 110 elements replaced
converter replaced
Tv's much cheaper theses days two of them :( one brand new just replaced since last use in Jan....

electrcian is a childhood friend going thru tough time long story side job so he knows he screwed up spliting cost with him money cane be replaced long tern friends irreplaceable in my thoughs I am sure others have opinions on that but we all have made mistakes and I am learning as well.

I am more upset on vacation I had planned that got canceled was planned 11 months ago with family canceled reservations once I figured out it would be fixed fast check on res and already filled got to love fla keys :(

Aristakat

cost breakdown

fixed fridge,replaced converter, $650
micro was fryed $$ 533 from homedepot
waiting to buy tv on black Friday I hope approx 600 for both at most

so around $1800 split in half each of us 900 learned alot now will have surge protector on plug for now on and 110 only juice/elect going into rv

tough year 2013 got to be better

evolvingpowercat

Unless you have a hard wired surge protection system in your RV, a surge protector won't protect you against a mis-wired 50 Amp shore cable. A mis-wired shore cable will put 240 volts where only 120 volts should be, or perhaps worse could hot skin your RV if really mis-wired! So make sure if you make a home made shore cable or replace plug or receptacle on either end its done right !

I have a hard wired Surge Guard protector. This brand has a contactor inside that won't apply power to the breaker box in the RV unless it senses less than 130 volts between L1 and neutral and also less than 130 volts between L2 and neutral. It will still connect if the shore power ground is not perfect, in that case it will light a check ground warning light. This is because so many shore power grounds are not perfect. Some surge guards don't have a contactor inside and may not protect against a total mis-wire so read the information carefully if you consider a cheap one.

Aristakat

Unless you have a hard wired surge protection system in your RV, a surge protector won't protect you against a mis-wired 50 Amp shore cable. A mis-wired shore cable will put 240 volts where only 120 volts should be, or perhaps worse could hot skin your RV if really mis-wired! So make sure if you make a home made shore cable or replace plug or receptacle on either end its done right !

I have a hard wired Surge Guard protector. This brand has a contactor inside that won't apply power to the breaker box in the RV unless it senses less than 130 volts between L1 and neutral and also less than 130 volts between L2 and neutral. It will still connect if the shore power ground is not perfect, in that case it will light a check ground warning light. This is because so many shore power grounds are not perfect. Some surge guards don't have a contactor inside and may not protect against a total mis-wire so read the information carefully if you consider a cheap one.

Randy,

I read over box with rv tech on new surge protector it stated just what yours does has light to show to much power or ground etc,,,,,, I asked tech about inline protector so we read exactly what mine does says should work ... I will attemp to post link to mine later thanks appreciate imput