Help! Want to wire fan to 12VDC in light fixture

SeattleLion

We have a 2014 Bighorn 3160 EL. I bought a cooling fan for the fridge (12 cu ft). There are quite a few wires up in the light fixture. I wonder if anyone has the color codes that will help me figure out where to tap in for the fan? The refrigerator is a Norcold 1210.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would use a meter to look for the 12 unswitched wire.
Once you find 12 volts with the door open, run your leads out the door and close it.
Just to be certain that the 12 volts remain.
Some refers switch the neutral, so that is a good thing.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

wdk450

Cookie:
I think you meant to say the 12 volt UNSWITCHED line. That would be the wire that has 12 volts even with the door closed.

I would use a meter to look for the 12 switched wire.
Once you find 12 volts with the door open, run your leads out the door and close it.
Just to be certain that the 12 volts remain.
Some refers switch the neutral, so that is a good thing.

Peace
Dave

Right or Wrong - I fished the the wire from the fan through the drain hose out to the back of the Refrig for a 12VDC connection. Have had this configuration for over a year now and have not experienced any problems with the wire restricting the flow of the drain tube. Hope this helps . . .

SeattleLion

Right or Wrong - I fished the the wire from the fan through the drain hose out to the back of the Refrig for a 12VDC connection. Have had this configuration for over a year now and have not experienced any problems with the wire restricting the flow of the drain tube. Hope this helps . . .

Thanks. That is my next option. I did manage to find the wiring diagram for the unit and this weekend I will try to wire into the light fixture. Failing that, I will attempt your solution.