HELP-Water Pump Change Over

Lynn1130

I have a new Shurflow 4048 that will be replacing the 5900-0201 that was installed by the factory. The problem I have is that the 5900 has a B+ and ground wire and the 4048 has two B+ connections. I am not sure exactly how the second positive wire that is on the front of the pump is supposed to be wired into the system. I did a pump change out on one of my previous trailers where there were the two positive wires but for the life of me cannot recall how I did that. Any direction would be appreciated. The manual is silent on this wire.

Attachments

• pump5900.JPG
    pump5900.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 50
  • pump4048.JPG
    pump4048.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 69

scottyb

I replaced mine with a 4048 last month. Check out the 4048 Spec Sheet. It shows the red wire to be "+" and the black wire to be "-" If I remember correctly, the white wire just loops from one end to the other and plugs into a prong on the end facing us in your photo. I thing mine was already plugged-in when I pulled it out of the box or maybe I would have been as confused as you are.

Lynn1130

Thanks? It will be easier to call Shurflo on Monday but with all the experts here this might save me some time if someone has already done this wiring.

After looking at them I think the B+ on the back of the 4048 clips to the clip just behind the B+ on the front and then the front B+ connects to the trailer positive and the black to the trailer negative but I need to be sure.

Lynn1130

Scotty, White or did you mean red? I think you may be correct from my observations (above).

And after looking more closely at your sheet (and the one in my box LOL) that appears to be the way it should go. Mine was not connected when it came to me.

scottyb

OK, I needed to check my black tank flush connection anyway, so I took a look at my water pump. My 4100's "+" is purple. It is connected to the pumps Red with a in-line fuse. My rig's " - " is White. It is connected to the pump's Black. The pump's white wire loops from one end to the other. Hope that helps.

Lynn1130

It does, somewhat. My trailer positive is blue and negative is white. The connection from one end to the other on my pump is red (it is positive). I wonder why they used white on the 4100? In any event the manual has the red from the rear of the pump going to the clip (red) at the front so that's the way I hooked mine up.

Really, sometimes I think they use whatever color wire is available at the time :)

porthole

Retired
Use to be simple when positive was always red and negative was always black.

Then we started mixing 12 volts DC and 110 volts AC in trailers and boats

Then the NFPA, ABYC and RIVA all popped out of the sand and we now have:

Red
Black (hot on AC, negative on DC so we now use yellow on boats for negative)
Blue
White
Yellow
Green