Help with wire color coding

Gizzy

When I unhooked yesterday and pulled away from the coach the 12 volt electrical cord somehow got caught on the trailer hitch ball that holds the Rock Tamer. It pulled the cord completely out of the connector box on the pinbox. No damage (other than hurt feelings) but the color of the wires from the TV do not match with the ones in the connector box. Need to know what the colors are that Heartland uses and where they go. Thought I would try here before I go to HL. Any advice?

danemayer

Hi Gizzy,

Not sure if this is what you need, but I've attached a diagram from the Heartland Trailer Manual.

And here's a link to the diagram in the wiki that shows the connectors and position numbers.

Attachments

• Seven-Way Plug Wiring.pdf
    350.2 KB · Views: 49

evolvingpowercat

I can confirm that is the color code that Heartland used my 2011 Model Year Edge made in 2010. I had mine opened up to:

1. Add load resistors between the left, right, and park wires and ground since my VW SUV claimed RV bulbs were burnt out as the LED did not draw enough current out the VW trailer control module which was designed for standard 12 volt light bulbs.

2. Solder all the wire nut spliced connections.

3. Tie in to the 12 volt line for my electric tongue jack upgrade

4. Used the capped yellow wire to feed SUV ignition switch controlled 12 volts to the 12 Volt Alternator / Solar Panel 12V output Sense input on the Dometic 3 Way Refrigerator so that my Dometic 3 Way will run on 12 volts when 7 way is connected to the SUV and the the vehicle is on and running. I tied the SUV end of that "yellow wire" center pin of the connector circuit to key switched 12 volts fused down to 3 amps, all the lead does is let the fridge sense that it should prefer 12 volts to gas when there is voltage on that terminal on the back of the 3 way fridge.

Note the SUV / Truck end of the center pin of the 7 way is often normally open and 12 V when vehicle in reverse, that was the case on my VW SUV and on many Dodge trucks and I had to open up and re-wire that lead to reuse it for providing 12 V switched - ignition on instead. I know my Edge does not have backup lights or backup beeper, apparently some types of commercial trailers do and must have the beeper when in reverse.

Gizzy

Thanks Dan, but I already got those colors from another site. However, the coach wires are different colors; ie, blk/red, white/green, and other multi colors. I suppose I will just have to put power to each to track down which goes to which. Maybe I can "Ask the factory" if I can't figure it out.

Jerry

Hi Gizzy,

Not sure if this is what you need, but I've attached a diagram from the Heartland Trailer Manual.

And here's a link to the diagram in the wiki that shows the connectors and position numbers.

brianharrison

From my 2011 Landmark

All whites together (4 in total; 3 in coach, 1 in 7 way) (commons)
All blues together (3 in total; 1 in coach, 1 in 7 way, 1 from breakaway) (trailer brakes and signal from breakaway)
red 7 pin - black with red stripe in coach (LH Stop)
black 7 pin (thicker), thicker red in coach and orange/black strip (power to breakaway) (charge)
green 7 pin - white with green stripe in coach (park lights)
brown 7 pin, thinner black in coach (RH stop)

Hope this helps
Brian

Gizzy

Brian,
Thanx so much. This looks like the wires on my coach. Now I can get busy and hook them back up. Hopefully no one else will need this info, but now it is already here on the forum if they do.

Jerry

From my 2011 Landmark

All whites together (4 in total; 3 in coach, 1 in 7 way) (commons)
All blues together (3 in total; 1 in coach, 1 in 7 way, 1 from breakaway) (trailer brakes and signal from breakaway)
red 7 pin - black with red stripe in coach (LH Stop)
black 7 pin (thicker), thicker red in coach and orange/black strip (power to breakaway) (charge)
green 7 pin - white with green stripe in coach (park lights)
brown 7 pin, thinner black in coach (RH stop)

Hope this helps
Brian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gizzy, I just missed it. Brian's are the same as our 07 Bighorn. Long story short, I had to find and trace a short caused by an inadvertent drill bit. :eek:

brianharrison

You're welcome.

Remember to tape the wire nuts together - in a bundle - with electrical tape - this will help prevent them from backing off/coming loose on the road.

PS - the yellow in 7pin is not used.

Brian

Gizzy

Thanks again Brian, the tape is a good idea and you probably saved me another question by letting me know about the yellow wire.

Jerry

You're welcome.

Remember to tape the wire nuts together - in a bundle - with electrical tape - this will help prevent them from backing off/coming loose on the road.

PS - the yellow in 7pin is not used.

Brian