Hidden Satellite Receivers and your remote. A $50 solution

SeattleLion

I just thought I would pass on a tip that makes locating sat receivers and other remote-controlled electronics out of sight. For example, in our new BH3160, the bedroom tv is hanging above a window. Getting a sat receiver located to feed it can be a problem. Fortunately, Heartland locates a jumpered sat feed inside the bedroom closet along with the wiring for a Trav'ler. The receiver is easy to place securely there.

That creates a problem. How do you use your remote with a receiver in the closet? The answer is inexpensive and very easy to install: a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 IR repeater. This is really easy to install and it allows you to control all of your hidden equipment as though it is out in front of you. The receiver is a very small pod that has double stick tape on it and can go anywhere it can "see" your remote. The transmitters are tiny pods that also have double faced tape on them. Just stick one on the IR receiver on your devices. You can easily find this by using your remote very close to the receiver. You will find a little window that receives the IR signal from your remote. Stick the pod on it and you are done. In our old trailer we had two TV's; one in the bedroom and one in the living room. We wanted to watch the same programs from either and be able to control DVD playing, Audio, and Sat from bed or the LR. The manufacturer of the repeater sells additional IR receivers for a very low price. That way we had an IR receiver in each room.

Just thought I would share this tip. Now you don't have to put your electronics out in the open.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We used a similar procedure to route our satellite signal to the basement. We ran a dedicated sat wire off the bedroom sat box to an A/B switch in the basement. We can use the remote from the bedroom sat box to change the channels on the basement TV. Works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

SeattleLion

We used a similar procedure to route out satellite signal to the basement. We ran a dedicated sat wire off the bedroom sat box to an A/B switch in the basement. We can use the remote from the bedroom sat box to change the channels on the basement TV. Works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The coolest thing is that the BH3160 is prewired in the bedroom with a LNB feed from the sat and has a HDMI cable to the bedroom tv. Most thoughtful prewire I have ever seen. Thank you Heartland!

Gary521

Another fix is to get a receiver that operates by radio signals from remote and not IR.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
SeattleLion - We just ordered a Landmark and was wondering about the satellite situation. Thanks

Gary521 - we have DirecTv and they only have the wireless receivers in testing with no dates when it will be released to us users. Already checked. Once released what a huge difference it will be.

SeattleLion

Gary521 - we have DirecTv and they only have the wireless receivers in testing with no dates when it will be released to us users. Already checked. Once released what a huge difference it will be.[/QUOTE]

The IR repeater is so inexpensive and reliable, there is really no reason for a RF solution.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
So I can put my Dish receiver in the closet and it will feed the living room and bedroom tv? And in the future the basement tv?

danemayer

I'm a little confused by the comments re: Directv receivers and wireless remotes.

Our Directv remotes and receivers operate on either infrared or RF. Originally we used them on IR but switched to RF several years ago. This is selected in the setup menu.

The receivers in the living rooms at home and in the RV are both HR24-500 DVR models. Our home bedroom receiver is an H24-100 and the RV bedroom receiver is an H25-100.

SeattleLion

So I can put my Dish receiver in the closet and it will feed the living room and bedroom tv? And in the future the basement tv?

Sorry, no. That's not what we mean. You need a separate receiver for each TV for either DirecTV or Dish. We were discussing hiding the receiver in a place where your remote (if it isn't RF) won't work and fixing that problem with an IR repeater.

SeattleLion

I'm a little confused by the comments re: Directv receivers and wireless remotes.

Our Directv remotes and receivers operate on either infrared or RF. Originally we used them on IR but switched to RF several years ago. This is selected in the setup menu.

The receivers in the living rooms at home and in the RV are both HR24-500 DVR models. Our home bedroom receiver is an H24-100 and the RV bedroom receiver is an H25-100.

Those are very new DVR's. According to DirecTV, only the Genie and it's satellites are RF equipped. The rest are like mine, IR

TXTiger

I am in the process of getting Dish now. My local Dish guy is setting me up with a Pathway X2 dish and a 211k receiver. I am also purchasing a IR remote that plugs into the USB on the 211k. I then can run a RG6 out of the 211k receiver in the living room to my bedroom television. With this set up I only need one receiver and can use the 211k in the living room to change channels on the bedroom television. I am also getting an external USB hard drive for DVR and can play recordings on either location.

Sorry, no. That's not what we mean. You need a separate receiver for each TV for either DirecTV or Dish. We were discussing hiding the receiver in a place where your remote (if it isn't RF) won't work and fixing that problem with an IR repeater.

SeattleLion

There are two of us and we had the same setup with a Tailgater that you have. Now we are going to use 2 of our home DVR's in the new camper.

SeattleLion

Interesting indeed. The DirecTV site claims that only the Genie is RF. I will go look at my receivers to see if there is RF available. I already have the IR repeater from my old trailer, but it would be nice to avoid another bit of hardware to install. How did you find the RF option? Did you order the DirecTV RF remote?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can find the RF/IR selection in your receiver by clicking, Menu, Settings then Remote Control. Then you should see IR/RV Setup.
Your menu might be slightly different, but it will be close.
Your remote should have an 'R' designation in the model number located on the top left face of the remote.
Remotes can be found on Ebay for around $10 including shipping. LOOK HERE.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

SeattleLion

Thanks so much for pointing this out. I checked my receivers, and sure enough they too work on RF. DirecTV still insists that only the Genie will do RF. Thanks to your discovery, we now know that is wrong and you have saved me work I no longer have to do. Thank you!