Hidden Satellite Receivers and your remote. A $50 solution

MrRvGypsy

The coolest thing is that the BH3160 is prewired in the bedroom with a LNB feed from the sat and has a HDMI cable to the bedroom tv. Most thoughtful prewire I have ever seen. Thank you Heartland!

How did you rate to get the pre-wired HDMI to the bedroom TV?? I just picked up my 2014 LM Savannah 2 weeks ago and it does not have the HDMI pre-wired from the bedroom closet to the bedroom TV location.
I've been trying to figure out where to mount the sat receiver in the TV hole. wish I could just locate in in the closet by the booster and roof sat prewire that already there?

Tallyrver

I just bought a rf remote off Amazon for $10.00 . Have been using the remote from the house ,but it's a pain changing the codes. The new one will be here Friday.

Wayne

porthole

Retired
SeattleLion - We just ordered a Landmark and was wondering about the satellite situation. Thanks

Gary521 - we have DirecTv and they only have the wireless receivers in testing with no dates when it will be released to us users. Already checked. Once released what a huge difference it will be.

Thanks so much for pointing this out. I checked my receivers, and sure enough they too work on RF. DirecTV still insists that only the Genie will do RF. Thanks to your discovery, we now know that is wrong and you have saved me work I no longer have to do. Thank you!

The DTV receiver is separate from the "Genie". The receivers have had RF and IR for awhile. The Genie system has been RF and IF since it came out.

We have been using the DTV at home and in the trailer with hidden receivers since I installed it.
In the house and trailer the Genie boxes are all hidden behind the TV's.
In the trailer the Receiver is mounted vertically behind the TV.

The addition of the Genie system has made it quite easy to get your SAT TV spread around.

I just bought a rf remote off Amazon for $10.00 . Have been using the remote from the house ,but it's a pain changing the codes. The new one will be here Friday.

Wayne

The Toshiba TV in my living room is on a lift and doesn't raise high enough to expose the infrared window which is a small pain. I'm wondering if a unit like this would help me with this problem. I've tried to adjust the lift mechanism with no success. I use the RF option on my Genie DirecTV system, but can't control volume, source, etc. I will look at this unit and try to decide. Thanks for the tip!

SeattleLion

How did you rate to get the pre-wired HDMI to the bedroom TV?? I just picked up my 2014 LM Savannah 2 weeks ago and it does not have the HDMI pre-wired from the bedroom closet to the bedroom TV location.
I've been trying to figure out where to mount the sat receiver in the TV hole. wish I could just locate in in the closet by the booster and roof sat prewire that already there?

Unfortunately, there is no prewired HDMI in the bedroom. I think that is a real oversight after all the thoughtful prewiring for the Trav'ler. The hdmi prewire in the livingroom is great.They even plugged it in to the TV. In the bedroom, I will have to do my own wiring.

Hunter11

We are having this issue with our new Landmark in trying to figure out how to make the Directv receiver work in the closet. My wife would really like to get it out of the closet because it is taking up counter space but she may have to live with that. We have two older (about 6 years old) SD receivers. I have gone into the setup as suggested in this thread but there is nothing about switching them from IF to RF. Does anyone know if the $10 remotes on Ebay or Amazon work with the older receivers? Any other suggestions?

We have also noticed that the bedroom TV picture is not as clear as the one in the living room. I am going to pull the connections plates in the closet and in the ceiling today and make sure those connections are good. I don't really know what else could be causing it.

danemayer

the bedroom TV picture is not as clear as the one in the living room.
The over-the-air antenna feed goes to the signal booster first, and then splits out to other locations. If signal is good in the other locations, the suspect area would be the short cable from the output side of the signal booster to the bedroom TV connector plate. And of course the cable attached to the TV.

Hunter11

As suspected the cable connections in the wall at the booster plate were all loose. A quick tightening and the picture on the bedroom TV is clear. Now if I can figure out how to change the channels on the bedroom Sat receiver in the closet without getting up out of bed and pointing the remote at it.

porthole

Retired
Sorry, no. That's not what we mean. You need a separate receiver for each TV for either DirecTV or Dish. We were discussing hiding the receiver in a place where your remote (if it isn't RF) won't work and fixing that problem with an IR repeater.

Have you considered calling Direct about upgrading?

The HR 34 and 44 receiver with the Genie clients makes life so much easier.
I am using he receiver from the house when we leave and I just leave one of the Genie clients in the trailer (spare bedroom at home).

I have extra cables and remotes in the trailer so the only that has to come out of the house when we leave it the actual receiver. The receiver works fine with two different remotes.

Hunter11

Will the newer receivers work with the Wingard Carryout system? I know we can upgrade the receivers but at this point we are using the Carryout which is SD only on Direct. I was under the impression that some receivers would not work with the Carryout.

porthole

Retired
No.

The carryout is convenient - but I want my HD!

Once you get accustomed to HD all the time, it is hard going backwards.

Hunter11

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the receiver work in the closet without having to get up out of bed to change channels? This seems to be a sticking point with my wife right now. In fact her words were (who would design something like this, do they not try things like this out before they put them in production). I could not argue her point.......

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that Porthole answered your question.
It would be best to upgrade equipment.

Peace
Dave

SeattleLion

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the receiver work in the closet without having to get up out of bed to change channels? This seems to be a sticking point with my wife right now. In fact her words were (who would design something like this, do they not try things like this out before they put them in production). I could not argue her point.......

in our last trailer we used a RV repeater. Very simple to install. http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-BlastI...F8&qid=1399860363&sr=1-3&keywords=ir+repeater

JanAndBill

I don't know about the bedroom closet, but I discovered by accident that our dish satellite receiver works in the living room cabinet with the door closed. Normally I leave the door up for air circulation, and I thought, it was required for the remote to work. However on the last trip I discovered that it didn't matter if the door was open or not, the remote would work on the receiver.

Hunter11

Thank you all for your responses and information. I am going to call Winegard today and see if they can recommend any DirectV receivers that are RF and will work with their Carryout. If they can I will then call DirectV and upgrade to those units.