Highway 1 in Northern California

gasman

Camp Socializer
I am considering traveling Highway 1 from Leggett south to Jenner and I am wondering how suitable this route is for towing the fifth wheel. Thanks to all who take the time to chime in.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I am considering traveling Highway 1 from Leggett south to Jenner and I am wondering how suitable this route is for towing the fifth wheel. Thanks to all who take the time to chime in.

Mike

I have never traveled this route , but I can tell you that after looking at Google maps I would only drive that with a
motorcycle. Looks like a lot of switch backs all along this route.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mike,
I like traveling byways, but I have never driven this route.

Look on this map; http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/truck-length-routes.htm#step-2

I "think" it says yellow routes, (A lot of info on these maps) which you are asking about, are legal, but not usually advised over 30 feet KPRA. I believe mine is about 22' KPRA.

With me being adventurous, I would probably try it.Trace

Last edited:

Lynn1130

PCH also known as Pacific Coast Highway. A great route for a convertible (did that) or a motorcycle (did not do that) but I don't think you want to try it with a 5th wheel. Not that it cannot be done but it is not going to be a quick route nor will you as the driver get to see much. You will be busy driving the turns and curves. It will also have a very large volume of traffic and some of them probably will not be happy that they are stuck behind a 5th wheel.

Dean-Pam

We have driven the PCH in a car and it was awesome! I wouldn't drive it with my 5er, but I am also cautious on my RV routes.

avvidclif

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
KPRA is "King Pin To Rear Axle". That's the acronym used by CalDot. Trace

wdk450

There are a couple of RV parks between Jenner and Gualala, in Manchester, and Ft. Bragg, so RV's DO drive it, but that part is windy, narrow, and has a drop-off side of the road culvert along the East (away from ocean) side most of the way which makes you VERY nervous about driving it North with a big rig. I did drive my old Itasca 22 foot class A North and South over that part, but again I was gripping the wheel pretty tightly until we arrived at the campground. The rest of the route has a mix of pretty windy and not too bad (but scenic). Going to the South Leggett to the Coast is VERY winding (15 mph curves) through redwood forests.

Manzan

I have driven from Leggett to Fr. Bragg and back in a car. I traveled the speed limit and was being 'pushed' both directions and there are very few turnouts. First time ever that I started to get carsick while driving. Lots of tight corners. I agree that it would be a lot of fun with a motor cycle!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well been there done that. DON'T DO IT........ We did it heading north with a 40' toy hauler loaded down with toys, and lost a wheel bearing on a Saturday night and had to spend the night on the side of a cliff about 200' above the ocean. DW was a wreck !!!! I pulled it apart Saturday and hauled a$@ to Santa Rosa to get parts, only found 1/2 of what I needed before everything was closed. headed back to the rig sitting on the side of HWY 1 still full of Toys "WE HOPE" spent the night and had to head back to Santa Rosa on Sunday to try and find the rest of parts. Fixed the spindle and bearings and headed north. WHAT A TRIP !!!
Going back and forth on all of those turns our roller slide try went flying out the side basement door and dumped my tubs out on the Hwy right before I noticed the wheel bearing was out.
Just came through there in the car last week heading south from Legget to Bodega Bay and relived it all over again. Its a beautiful drive everyone should do at least once.. In a CAR!!!!!!!!!!