Hitch Ajustment

mobilcastle

I am trying to level out my 5ver-I am running slightly nose down. The question I have is as you move the hitch toward the cab will the truck squat less when hooked up or stay the same? My hitch can be moved up to 4". It is presently all the way back toward the gate which gives more gate clearance when you unhook. I need to raise the nose very little to get level. Before I move it I thought someone here might know.
Thanks, Steve

jnbhobe

If your hitch doesn't have an up and down adjustment you should drop the pin box one set of holes. That will raise the front of the coach and still leave you with tail gate space.

mobilcastle

Hitch is at the top notch and pin box cannot be dropped-in lowest holes.
If your hitch doesn't have an up and down adjustment you should drop the pin box one set of holes. That will raise the front of the coach and still leave you with tail gate space.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, what hitch do you have? You say the hitch can be moved to the front. Is it a slider hitch? If so, it should be forward during travel. I'm also curious about the pin not being able to be lowered in the box. Is it already in the lowest set of holes?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I am kinda wondering why you are having this issue. A 2011 3500 should not have an issue with dropping when hooked up to make your 3670 set nose down. I cant believe that your hitch needs to be back 4" so your pinbox wont hit your tailgate when unhooking. Something does not seem right. Yes, the front of the truck will drop if you slide the hitch forward.

Can you post some pix?? I'm X2 with Ray.

I personally would never tow with the hitch slid all the way back. It takes too much weight off the front axle. I have never had any problems with the tailgate with the slider all the way forward. Same hitch...3 different GM trucks. I'm not sure why you needed a slider with a L/B truck unless you have one of the VERY VERY rare 3500 S/B.

caissiel

I always setup my hitch height so that when I unhook the trailer is level.
It will drop a bit for travel but hardly notice it.
The roads are never level, but CG sites usually are. Enough for us, for the pass 22 years never a problem. Makes for easier setup once at CG.
Works for us. Never need complex leveling setup.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

Ray,
I have a companion hitch and it is at its highest setting. If I drop the king pin I will only have 4 bolts on each side instead of 5-I won' do that.

I have plenty of room when I drop the my gate to move the hitch foreward toward the cab.

My question is if I move the hitch forward will the bed raise up some since I am putting more weight on the front axle.
Thanks
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

The kingpin should be about an inch in front of the axle centerline. My pin box only had three bolts in each side when it came from the factory.

mobilcastle

Jon,
That is very interesting. I thought all similar unit king pins would have the same number of bolts on them. My GVW is 16K and I am assuming yours is the same. My pin box from the factory was 1621HD and I switched it to a Mor/ryde. I wonder if anyone else is using three or 4 bolts on each side instead of 5? I don't have a problem with it if it works. If I drop the box one set of holes how much will the nose go up? 1"? Is it figured by measuring the center of the bolt where it is now to the center of the new bolt hole?
The kingpin should be about an inch in front of the axle centerline. My pin box only had three bolts in each side when it came from the factory.

mobilcastle

AS I think about the Companion hitch it does ride right on top of the axle because the connection point where the square tube mounts to the turn over ball slot is right on top of the axle. I also thought about putting on air bags. If anyone has air bags do you think they improve the ride?
Thanks for all your comments.
Steve

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,
I have a companion hitch and it is at its highest setting. If I drop the king pin I will only have 4 bolts on each side instead of 5-I won' do that.

I have plenty of room when I drop the my gate to move the hitch foreward toward the cab.

My question is if I move the hitch forward will the bed raise up some since I am putting more weight on the front axle.
Thanks
Steve

Steve, I think moving the hitch forward is not a good plan. You would lose clearance on the rear window during tight maneuvers. Lowering the pin is the best bet. If you're not to happy with only having 4 holes per side, you may be able to drill the pin using one of the pin box holes as a guide.

jnbhobe

Air bags will keep the truck level and do improve the ride in most cases. Dropping the pinbox will raise the front about an inch to 1 1/2 inches.

alex00

AS I think about the Companion hitch it does ride right on top of the axle because the connection point where the square tube mounts to the turn over ball slot is right on top of the axle. I also thought about putting on air bags. If anyone has air bags do you think they improve the ride?
Thanks for all your comments.
Steve

The ride in my truck is noticeably better when the air bags are filled properly. Even if I didn't need them for leveling, I would get them for the ride.

donr827

I was in a similar situation with my Pullrite slider and Mor/ryde pin box. I was told that there should be 5 bolts used by Mor/ryde. Said I might get by with 4 but not a good idea. Found out that Pullrite sells a rail extension that mounts to the rail and raises the hitch two inches. Do not know if your hitch company sells something like that.
Don

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Trailair pinbox ordered with the trailer in '06 and mine only has 4 bolts each side. The pinbox is a lot heavier weight wise than what you have and no problems. I would move the pinbox and not worry about the 5th bolt.

mobilcastle

Thanks for all the answers-I moved the hitch foreward 2" (toward cab) and I think that will do it-it was not off by much.