Hitch and unhitching tips, on a slight slope.

Booch

I'm having a heck of a time unhitching my rig when I drop it off in storage, and I'm thinking it's because the spot slops down towards the back. It's a battle to get the hitch to come off the ball most of the time.

I need some tips. I've tried removing the pin from the hitch thinking it'd give it some play, rocking the truck, and sometimes jumping up and down in the bed of the truck.

Oregon_Camper

Have you tried chocking the tires then rolling back just a bit, in order to remove the pressure on the ball?

Are you using a power tongue jack?

Have you tried putting some wood down in order to level the trailer, so it no longer slopes toward the rear?

Crumgater

We nearly always have to chock the tires, then roll the truck back a bit to release the pressure on the hitch and get it to release.

Sometimes raising/lowering the trailer helps, too.

What about rolling the truck on some boards on the front tires, so it's at the same slope as the trailer? (we've never tried this... I'm just brainstorming)

Last ditch - leave the hitch attached to the trailer, and just pull the pins holding the hitch in the truck... leave the hitch hanging? I've heard some people do that on purpose when storing their units. (we don't)

'Lil Guy'

We also had trouble unhitching our WDH from our NT. The problem I had was getting the release to slide all the way back to release the ball. You could pull the release up and back but not far enough. I started carrying a small rubber hammer to help it. Worked for me. If the release slides all the way back, you shouldn't have a problem.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In all the years I've pulled a bumper pull trailer I never had these issues.

Now, before you unhook the WD stuff, are you taking the weight off of the ball by cranking up the trailer to relieve the pressure?

Booch

Getting the WD stuff off is no problem. This is just the hitch coming off the ball. On level surfaces it gives me a little trouble sometimes, but the storage lot gives me a lot of trouble because of the slope (I'm guessing). I've got the wheels chocked, and usually take the parking break off the truck hoping it'll give it a little play. No issues with the latch, I can see light through it when it's open.

I'm gonna try rolling the truck back a bit, because it looks like the front lip of the hitch just doesn't want to let go. I've had these troubles on older boats and trailers occasionally, but a bit surprised it's happening on a new one so frequently.

GWRam

Getting the WD stuff off is no problem. This is just the hitch coming off the ball. On level surfaces it gives me a little trouble sometimes, but the storage lot gives me a lot of trouble because of the slope (I'm guessing). I've got the wheels chocked, and usually take the parking break off the truck hoping it'll give it a little play. No issues with the latch, I can see light through it when it's open.

I'm gonna try rolling the truck back a bit, because it looks like the front lip of the hitch just doesn't want to let go. I've had these troubles on older boats and trailers occasionally, but a bit surprised it's happening on a new one so frequently.

Just a thought since you mentioned some past issues. Have you checked the condition of the ball? Could a rough area or cut in the ball be catching inside the hitch.

hoefler

When parking the rig, chock the trailer wheels, release the parking brake, put the truck in neutral, and foot off the brake. This will release any rolling load off the ball. Then apply the parking brake and put back in park.

brianlajoie

When parking the rig, chock the trailer wheels, release the parking brake, put the truck in neutral, and foot off the brake. This will release any rolling load off the ball. Then apply the parking brake and put back in park.

As an extension of these tips, I've also chocked the wheels and grabbing the integrated brake controller, back the truck a smidge to realease any tension on the hitch. My slider hitch requires me to release the king pin with all the weight on the truck, so I some times have to relieve the tension on the hitch.

Oregon_Camper

As an extension of these tips, I've also chocked the wheels and grabbing the integrated brake controller, back the truck a smidge to realease any tension on the hitch. My slider hitch requires me to release the king pin with all the weight on the truck, so I some times have to relieve the tension on the hitch.

Great suggestion, but the OP is asking about a non-5th wheel hitch. (ball mount)