Hitch heights

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
If this is the wrong forum spot then move it.....

Just bought a new F-350 with the fifth wheel prep. Dealer moved my hitch(slider) uover to new truck from one that did not have prep kit. They had to add a adapter kit to install my slider hitch.

My question is, the very top of the hitch looks like it could be to high now. I know you want at least 6'' of space between the bed rail and rig. Is there a measurement that should be close to want the total heighth
Should be or do I just hook up the 5r see what it looks like.

GOTTOYS

I had to guess at mine when I got a new truck as the trailer was in storage 600 miles away. I no longer use a Super Glide hitch and even though my new hitch is as high as it goes I found the extended Trail Air Tri-Glide I bought a few years ago at the Goshen Rally, is too long and the rear of the pin box can come into contact with my bed rails on a very sharp turn. I'm thinking the sides on my Chev are just a bit higher than my old Ram. The cure would be a Trail Air that isn't as extended quite as much but it's too late now. Just be careful when you start turning to keep an eye on what's happening back there....Don

Donhutch1800

I would hook up to coach and see what height you have above bed.About 7 inches should be about perfect.

Just bought a new F-350 with the fifth wheel prep. Dealer moved my hitch(slider) uover to new truck from one that did not have prep kit. They had to add a adapter kit to install my slider hitch.

My question is, the very top of the hitch looks like it could be to high now. I know you want at least 6'' of space between the bed rail and rig. Is there a measurement that should be close to want the total heighth
Should be or do I just hook up the 5r see what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, being you had a 2012, the bed rail height should be the same as your new one. The issue could be that the hitch mounting to the bed on the new truck might be different. If the trailer sets level you should be OK.