Hitch mod this time

Pizzadigger

A while back I ordered a safety devise from 5thwheellatchkit.com . I in stalled this on my Curt Q20 hitch today. Takes a little time to ensure correct alignment but I have to say this kit contains everything you need to install but the tools. Even drill bits are included, the bits in my kit were not china junk they were high quality as were all parts included in this kit. Very reasonable less than $80 shipping included. I hope I never need this but if I ever have a fail to latch during hitching this should protect my truck and trailer from damage.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have been using one for about 2 years. "Knock on wood" I can't tell you if it works or not!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 154

GOTTOYS

I bought and installed one a year ago...then I got to thinking. If I'm dumb enough to not do a visual check and test tug on my hitch, what makes me think I'm going to latch this thing? If I was to do it again, I'd spend the extra money for the Blue Ox unit. It's always there and you never have to do anything with it...JMHO...Don

Dave49

I have one on my old Curt Hitch. Last spring I invested in the All American Hitch and never put one on it as it was a trial type of thing. After way to many problems with this hitch they sent me a new hitch. I used it the first time this last Tuesday. Hooked up to hitch. Inspected the jaws and they were closed, not high hitch or low hitch, right where they belong. I have done this 100's of times as I am a fulltimer. Lifted the hydraulic legs just off the surface and did a pull test, applying trailer brake and going ahead as it held. Released the trailer brake and pulled trailer ahead with sudden stop all is well. Put truck in reverse went back a ways and hit brakes hard. There I am certain I have it now as this was the first use of this hitch I wanted to make sure it was hooked. Pulled out of campsite went about 3 blocks made a right hand turn and yup, you guessed it, it come unhitched. Sure wish it had the device your talking about. Destroyed the tailgate but got lucky and that was the only damage. Needless to say...........not happy.

Dave

mobilcastle

Sorry to hear that story.
I have one on my old Curt Hitch. Last spring I invested in the All American Hitch and never put one on it as it was a trial type of thing. After way to many problems with this hitch they sent me a new hitch. I used it the first time this last Tuesday. Hooked up to hitch. Inspected the jaws and they were closed, not high hitch or low hitch, right where they belong. I have done this 100's of times as I am a fulltimer. Lifted the hydraulic legs just off the surface and did a pull test, applying trailer brake and going ahead as it held. Released the trailer brake and pulled trailer ahead with sudden stop all is well. Put truck in reverse went back a ways and hit brakes hard. There I am certain I have it now as this was the first use of this hitch I wanted to make sure it was hooked. Pulled out of campsite went about 3 blocks made a right hand turn and yup, you guessed it, it come unhitched. Sure wish it had the device your talking about. Destroyed the tailgate but got lucky and that was the only damage. Needless to say...........not happy.

Dave

Garypowell

From this thread I decided to order one. Came via UPS today. Really impressed with unit and its construction. Pictures on the directions are not worth anything....but it seems simple enough.

Dropped a unit once and have been super careful since. Both Linda and I check the jaws shut and then do pull test. But nice to have a little extra protection at the right price.

Not that I want to experience it but I wonder if the unit will survive its intended use. It certainly looks strong enough but the rod might bend if actually used which would mean one would have to disassemble it to get the RV free. Let's hope I never figure that one out!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I put one on my Reese 16K a while back, too. Kind of hard to forget to latch it since I have to get up there to lock the hitch handle and secure the brake cable. Installation was simple and it doesn't take up bed space like the other option. Since I remove the hitch from the truck when not towing, it makes that task simple and stores with the hitch in the garage.