hitching problem

Snow

have a problem hitching up now that I have a tri fold bed cover , when folded up it is still about 24" from the front of the bed and I cannot see the hitch anymore it takes 2 people now , so I guess I need to put a mirror on my BC and really didn want to do that but its better then taking the cover off every time , any thoughts on some kind of decorative piece of stanless steel ? ,and also how to install ,and where do I want it positioned ? does this make since , PS thanks heartland for the birthday wish thanks Jeff

porthole

Retired
I have a toolbox that blocks my view. I use a simple "pencil" type magnet, the kind the extends 20-30 inches. I stick that on the hitch saddle, centered just forward of the opening.

It allows perfect alignment of the pin and hitch using the rear view mirror.

If you have the trailer at the correct height as you back in, the pin box will hit the magnet and roll it forward off the hitch.
If to high you may crunch the magnet.

I have yet to damage one of the several magnets I have had. Although I have lost a few as I have given several to fellow campers. Cheap item at harbor freight.

VMooreSR

I have a tri fold cover also, I just put a piece of white tape on it inline with hitch, works for me.

pegmikef

My aux fuel tank/toolbox combo also blocks mine. I just put a piece of white tape on the pin box right above the pin and another on my back window in line with the hitch and back up just using the rear view mirror (I had to remove the center head rest from the back seat to see the tape, but Molly, our adopted Beagle hasn't complained).

jnbhobe

My aux fuel tank/toolbox combo also blocks mine. I just put a piece of white tape on the pin box right above the pin and another on my back window in line with the hitch and back up just using the rear view mirror (I had to remove the center head rest from the back seat to see the tape, but Molly, our adopted Beagle hasn't complained).

X-2 I just put white tape on the pin box and the cover.

TXTiger

I just line up the rear seat middle head rest to the center of the pin box as I back up. Just have to make sure the hight of the pin is correct.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I put a small unit decal on the nose of the rig, aligned with the pin. On my rear window is an outline decal of my favorite Disney character, Grumpy. Line them up in the mirror and back up. Stop short, check pin height and final alignment correction needed.

Another trick is to use a piece of PVC attached to the hitch with magnets as a guide.

Snow

I just line up the rear seat middle head rest to the center of the pin box as I back up. Just have to make sure the hight of the pin is correct.

thanks for all the ideas keep them comeing . I like the magnet and the tape , and for the life of me two toes ,for some reason have a hard time lineing up just by using the headrest I don't know what it is but I have to try a couple more times when I do that I guess not enough experience yet ive hitched up maybe close to 20 times is all so iam still learning .thanks jeff

Rrloren

I have a tri fold cover also, I just put a piece of white tape on it inline with hitch, works for me.

I too have a folding cover, I found after awhile the tape loosen up so I spray painted a small arrow on the center spot on the underside of my cover. I do have to check the height just before hitching but now I can center it every time.

Jim.Allison

I just line up the rear seat middle headrest to the center of the pin box as I back up. Just have to make sure the height of the pin is correct.
Funny, I do the same thing. But I might add that on the automatic leveling system there is a procedure that puts the kingpin back to the height it originated, its not guaranteed, but I have never seen it off/wrong on my rig.