Holding tanks monitors

porthole

Retired
My preference is to not keep my tanks with an open conduit to campground sewer.

I do leave a "flush king" valve on all the time and keep the gray tank valves open, so they self level. Less dumping events because of the shower.

danemayer

If you want to keep your gray tank valves open all the time, allow your sewer hose to droop down, forming a p-trap that holds water and blocks sewer gas from going up through your vents. I think someone posted about this a few weeks ago and I just saw it again as a tip from RVGeeks (I think).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have seen people handle there tanks differently. Some leave bedroom open all the time and some leave both grays open all the time. If you camp all the time what do you think is the best way to handle tanks when you are on full hookups?
Thanks
Steve

I like to let my tanks fill up to at least 3/4 before I dump them, especially the black tank.

Less likely to have solids build-up in the tank, plus I can use the water from the bathroom gray tank to back flush the black tank.

pcardoza

We took delivery of our Cyclone 4100 King in May. The tank monitors worked perfectly, for the first cycle. Since that first fill/dump, they have been useless, regardless of whether or not I use the black tank flush after dumping. You can spend (a.k.a. waste) a LOT of time doing battle with tank monitors.

The "burp" method works perfectly for determining when one's black tank is full, so I choose to rely on that and spend my time enjoying camping instead.

Lynn1130

I was told by someone who cleans RV tanks for a living that black tank flush systems are great at getting water into the tank but do little to nothing for cleaning top, sides and bottom. I then asked about the cleaning tools that connect to a hose that you put down the toilet and he said they are not much good either. This is especially true in my case as it is not a straight shot from the toilet to the tank. He then pulled out a tool that he had made, and I have since duplicated, that has a garden hose shut off, a reduction to a 3/8 hose fitting and a 3/8 stiff flex hose that is about 4' long. This can be put down the toilet and moved around to spray the side, including the monitor connections. I think I spent under $10 at Home Depot.

Grey Ghost

Hey, I had the very same problem as you are having with false sensor readings. I read somewhere that putting a mixture of dry water softener and water takes care of that problem. I've used this for years and no more problems! I use White King water softener about a cup to 2 gallons of water, put it down the stool, kitchen sink and shower drain before leaving on a trip. Let it slosh around for a while and then drain after you get to your destination. Seems to work for us and the tanks all smell good also. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Much cheaper than changing all our sensors! Good luck:cool:

wdk450

Hey, I had the very same problem as you are having with false sensor readings. I read somewhere that putting a mixture of dry water softener and water takes care of that problem. I've used this for years and no more problems! I use White King water softener about a cup to 2 gallons of water, put it down the stool, kitchen sink and shower drain before leaving on a trip. Let it slosh around for a while and then drain after you get to your destination. Seems to work for us and the tanks all smell good also. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Much cheaper than changing all our sensors! Good luck:cool:

I was interested in the White King Water Softener product, and started looking for it on the net. I came across this webpage that says the product mixed in water is VERY TOXIC, and now I wonder how safe this is to add to the wastewater stream:
http://housekeeping.answers.com/cleaning-products/white-king-water-softener-review

I know that some of the RV Parks are becoming very particular about the chemicals being added to their sewage systems. Jackson Rancheria in California has an attendant to dump your tanks, and they supply you with their approved holding tank treatment, before you are allowed to go to your site.

Bohemian

Before I drive down the road I put a few gallons of water, a bag of ice, and some dawn into the black tank. I drive down the road. I arrive. I empty the tank. The tank reading is zero.

That's good enough for me.

Grey Ghost

Hey Bill, thanks for the heads up, but I never put this mixture into my Fresh water holding tank! I dump it down my grey and black water tanks only. The guy that was telling me said he heard that you were supposed to use Calgon Water Softener, but he couldn't find that so he started using White King which he found at Walmart. I don't think dumping this mixture down the grey and black holding tanks is going to hurt you. I would not dump it down the fresh water holding tank and then drink the water. I use a mixture of white vinegar and water to clean that tank. Hope that clears things up a bit. The White King mixture has helped me in the past and the tanks do not smell bad any more so I will continue to use this mixture in those tanks ONLY! However, thanks again for making me ck this out and now I feel more comfortable too!:cool:
I was interested in the White King Water Softener product, and started looking for it on the net. I came across this webpage that says the product mixed in water is VERY TOXIC, and now I wonder how safe this is to add to the wastewater stream:
http://housekeeping.answers.com/cleaning-products/white-king-water-softener-review

I know that some of the RV Parks are becoming very particular about the chemicals being added to their sewage systems. Jackson Rancheria in California has an attendant to dump your tanks, and they supply you with their approved holding tank treatment, before you are allowed to go to your site.

SeattleLion

I have the opposite problem. It just happened for the second time today. After our weekend, I drained the black tank and used the built-in rinser. After it had worked for about 15 minutes, the black tank read empty. I didn't add any water this time before leaving. Last time I added a few gallons. In both cases when I got home the tank read "Full". Now I can understand gunk getting on sensors, but if they are clean leaving the campground and the water was running pretty clear out of the black tank, how does this happen?

duane224

It happens with Stuvites. When you add the chemicals to your holding tanks the gases that are released from the breakdown of waste creates mineralize cement-hard crystals. These crystals (Stuvites) coat the tank and lines over time. If your tank has a shelf where it is holding extra sewage, it becomes dislodged during your travel. The only thing on the market to solve this problem is TankTechs Rx; it is all natural. I dump my tanks in my yard and there is hardly or if any solids. I've been using it and have not had any problems. Go to the website and check it out. If you have any questions send me a message. Also I am a Tank Technician.

JanAndBill

I have the opposite problem. It just happened for the second time today. After our weekend, I drained the black tank and used the built-in rinser. After it had worked for about 15 minutes, the black tank read empty. I didn't add any water this time before leaving. Last time I added a few gallons. In both cases when I got home the tank read "Full". Now I can understand gunk getting on sensors, but if they are clean leaving the campground and the water was running pretty clear out of the black tank, how does this happen?

Don't know if the same thing, but my black tank valve has leaked a little for the past year. Apparently the constant lack of sufficient water in the tank allowed a build up of solids, that just wouldn't completely wash out. I could drain the tank, flush it for an hour and the sensors would still read wrong. Finally able to fix the valve, and within the first trip the solids dislodged, the tank flushes like it's supposed to and the sensors are working.

sengli

We never put any solids in our black tank. We use the bathrooms at the campgrounds for the heavy jobs. And the sensors still read as if its nearly full all the time. I always use the black tank flush as well.

wdk450

I have been reading up on the Happy Camper tank products. They say that most treatments cause the generation of sulfite gasses (stinky) - theirs supposedly causes the generation of Nitrogen (no odor, 75% of normal air).

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

We never put any solids in our black tank. We use the bathrooms at the campgrounds for the heavy jobs. And the sensors still read as if its nearly full all the time. I always use the black tank flush as well.
Why have it if you don't use it? One of my reasons for having an RV is so I can take it with me. Don't pay any attention to those little sensor lights. Never had a problem dumping mine out and all I use is lots of water, no chemicals, no special toilet paper. I'm not going to use some stinky campground bathroom if I don't need to....Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why have it if you don't use it? One of my reasons for having an RV is so I can take it with me. Don't pay any attention to those little sensor lights. Never had a problem dumping mine out and all I use is lots of water, no chemicals, no special toilet paper. I'm not going to use some stinky campground bathroom if I don't need to....Don

I agree. When it's raining at 2:00 AM and the public restrooms (clean as they may be) are at the other end of the campground...

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Ditto. If I was going to use the onsite facilities I'd have stayed with car camping and sleeping in my tent!!!!!