Holy Porposing Batman! Your Experienced Needed

2010augusta

Hi Charlie -- I was wondering about that also and will check it. However, I am using a B&W Companion and I am pretty sure it was installed with the correct kit for my Dodge Ram -- I think it can only go one place.

Thanks!

ONe thing to check is if the top part of the hitch can be reversed with respect to the the base. I know on our reese select plus hitch there are different settings for fords and dodges.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Charlie and Alan -- you are right -- the hitch is sitting behind the rear axle! I feel silly not checking this myself, but I assumed the hitch "experts" that installed the BW Companion put it in the right place. It is about 1 1/2 inch behind the axle -- looks like I can move it about that much in front of the axle. No doubt that will help with the porpoising.

Thanks for the idea!

Rrloren

I too was getting a little "chucking" that I never experienced when towing a Travel Trailer weighing 10m lbs. Not real bad but noticeable at times. Just installed a set of Firestone Ride/Rite air bags that I hope will solve the problem but haven't tested yet. By the way I thought air bags were very expensive but I found them on e-bay for under $250 . Less than I thought and installation was pretty easy with simple tools.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had mine forward of the rear wheels but I had no room at the back of the tailgate when opened, I cannot hitch with the tail gate open because if the truck is a bit sideways the gate would hit the trailer. So I am back at the 1" in front of the axle. These trailers are close for long wheelbase trucks.

I have an F250 6.0 Diesel long bed crew cab with a B&W 5th wheel hitch and I have plenty of room to have my tailgate down and not hit the front of the trailer. I did not install the hitch but it is properly installed. I do not get the bounce or chucking. I had a Trailair pinbox installed a year ago and it did help what little bounce I would get from rough roads and such.

I also have plenty of room between my trailer and the bed rails...

BC