Hooking Up to Shore Power

porthole

Retired
Upgrade from what?
With my first trailer I just used the outside wall plug which was 30 amps. I decided to run a 30 amp circuit. Had the wire only had to bu a breaker (dual pole) and an RV box. At the tom 50 amp wasn't a consideration. Now that I have a trailer with 50 amp service I thought about upgrading. Even with living in a ranch with a completely accessible basement I am still thinking long and hard. I have the wire for that too, but it is big and cumbersome and a lot of work to run it.

If you don't have a 30 or 50 now it could be a nice convenience, depending on the cost. If you have 30 now I would consider continue using it, but get a 30 amp cord and put a 50 amp connector on it (wired correctly of course).

Live near a marina? Seems someone is always throwing away 30 amp cord sets with burnt connectors. Typically 50 feet long. Get one, cut 5-10 off each end and put new connectors on. That is what I am using, cut to be just long enough to go from the outlet to the trailer when parked farthest away from the house (about 20 feet).

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Upgrade from what?

I currently have 30 amp service. Had the electrican, years ago when I had a SOB travel trailer, pull 220 line and put one side 30 amp RV box on the house and the other side 30 amp service on the shed out back. That way, I can actually run two trailers at one time both using 30 amp. After this last fisaco I was thinking better to upgrade to 50 amp service. I really don't want to though. I've got a 50 to 30 dog bone and a 25' 30 amp cord to plug the Landmark in. It's worked well so, maybe I'll just leave well enough alone and keep the 30 amp service at both boxes.