Hooray, I am now legal!!!!

pjones1969

I went to the Carrollton location yesterday, I was told I would have to take the Texas Commercial Rules test and the Combonation Vehicles test. I had studied Chapter 14 and passed it without issue but the Combonation Vehicles test covers so many things I have zero experience with so I failed that one.

Bound and determined, I went home and studied Chapter 6, it refers you back to Chapter 5 in section 6.2 and I found that indeed some of the questions I had are from Chapter 5, so I studied both of them, went back today and passed it........ Driving test scheduled for next week.

I spoke with an examiner about what is required on the driving test day, he said I would need truck and trailer registrations, proof of insurance for both and the original inspection reports with a hard signature, no photocopies, I found this odd since they require the inspection in order to get the registration but nothing they may require will surprise me now..... not sure what red tape I’ll have to cross on driving day, I’ll be prepared for a full walk around.

On the CDL-2 form at the bottom it says that the only written test required is the Texas Commercial Rules, no mention of the other test so I called Texas DPS in Austin today and after a few transfers I was told it is a new requirement. Whatever, hey at least their stories add up so far. I actually ran into the supervisor from yesterday again today and asked him about it again, he said it’s required and even if I was to get past it the CDL examiners would turn me away on the driving day since I had not taken it, it was worth a try.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf
https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

So if you are thinking about pursuing this endorsement in Texas. Download the form and handbook above, fill out the CDL-2 form and have it notarized, study up on Chapter 5, 6 and 14, learn the air brake system terminology they use if you are not familiar with them, gladhands and the different lines and what happens if one fails, air pressures, parking brakes, spring brakes, pay attention to the coupling and uncoupling procedures they describe, read all about rearward amplification, mudflaps, clearance and marker lights, rollover risks, dates when certain items became a requirement, what stops better......loaded or unloaded, there’s a whole lot of question combinations they can put together for a 20 question quiz....... a large dose of patience is required as well since they will look very puzzled when you tell them what you are there for.

Your experience will most likely vary from mine. Good Luck

TexasTraveler2017

I went to the Carrollton location yesterday, I was told I would have to take the Texas Commercial Rules test and the Combonation Vehicles test. I had studied Chapter 14 and passed it without issue but the Combonation Vehicles test covers so many things I have zero experience with so I failed that one.

Bound and determined, I went home and studied Chapter 6, it refers you back to Chapter 5 in section 6.2 and I found that indeed some of the questions I had are from Chapter 5, so I studied both of them, went back today and passed it........ Driving test scheduled for next week.

I spoke with an examiner about what is required on the driving test day, he said I would need truck and trailer registrations, proof of insurance for both and the original inspection reports with a hard signature, no photocopies, I found this odd since they require the inspection in order to get the registration but nothing they may require will surprise me now..... not sure what red tape I’ll have to cross on driving day, I’ll be prepared for a full walk around.

On the CDL-2 form at the bottom it says that the only written test required is the Texas Commercial Rules, no mention of the other test so I called Texas DPS in Austin today and after a few transfers I was told it is a new requirement. Whatever, hey at least their stories add up so far. I actually ran into the supervisor from yesterday again today and asked him about it again, he said it’s required and even if I was to get past it the CDL examiners would turn me away on the driving day since I had not taken it, it was worth a try.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf
https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

So if you are thinking about pursuing this endorsement in Texas. Download the form and handbook above, fill out the CDL-2 form and have it notarized, study up on Chapter 5, 6 and 14, learn the air brake system terminology they use if you are not familiar with them, gladhands and the different lines and what happens if one fails, air pressures, parking brakes, spring brakes, pay attention to the coupling and uncoupling procedures they describe, read all about rearward amplification, mudflaps, clearance and marker lights, rollover risks, dates when certain items became a requirement, what stops better......loaded or unloaded, there’s a whole lot of question combinations they can put together for a 20 question quiz....... a large dose of patience is required as well since they will look very puzzled when you tell them what you are there for.

Your experience will most likely vary from mine. Good Luck

Thanks for all of these details. I need to go in there and get this done when we get back from Lake Brownwood SP in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjones1969

Thanks for all of these details. I need to go in there and get this done when we get back from Lake Brownwood SP in a couple of weeks.

I do have to admit that it is a very nice facility and the lines seem to move pretty quickly! They have a lot of staff there. Good Luck and post back on your adventure.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Now I ask for all you legals to circle l back and be honest as to how many time you been asked by a LIFO for that pacific license welling to show him with out him asking doesn't count

Chippendale

Now I ask for all you legals to circle l back and be honest as to how many time you been asked by a LIFO for that pacific license welling to show him with out him asking doesn't count

If you were stopped for speeding while towing, I doubt most troopers would even pay any attention to whether you had a Class A or Class C license, but I guarantee you if you were involved in a traffic accident, the insurance company lawyers sure would, they will grasp at any excuse to get out of paying a claim. I towed for 10 years with a Texas Class C license and luckily never had a problem, never even thought anything about the fact I did not have a proper license. It took a friend who started full timing and moved his state of residence from California to Texas to mention that he had to get a "Class A Exempt" license to get us "legals" thinking about it. This doesn't guarantee that the insurance company lawyers won't find some reason (like maybe being over weight) to not honor a claim, but at least now maybe it won't be because of an improper license.

danemayer

Some people want to comply with the law, even if not enforced.

pjones1969

Test went well, had a 8:05 Drive time, I arrived early and got in the staging area, at 8:00 they come out and pull you in to anpther set of cones, then move you up again, it was about an hour and a half before the examiner came out, the CDL examiners did not conduct the test, it was one that does passenger vehicles.

They checked the insurance for the truck and trailer, turn signal check, brake light check, blow the horn.

They had me pull through about 80 foot of cones until the rear of the trailer was past the last one, then back up until the rear of trailer is even with the last one on the other end.

Then we go for the drive, usually stuff, “when it’s safe to get over move into the left lane”..... “make a left at the next light”, etc.

One thing I did that he dinged me on was: When turning from a single left turn lane into a 2 or 3 lane road, he wanted to see me go to the left lane, I’ve made a habit of shooting for the middle and if it’s a dual turning lane I position myself on the outside and go for the far outside lane, I’m not sure if I could make that turn like he wanted, he said no big deal and I passed.

Shoot for an early drive time, that place was a zoo when I got back there around 9:45am.

ksucats

I posted earlier but when I took my driving test here in Kansas I had to do the whole walk around explaining to the examiner what I was checking. Some things she told me to just explain what I would check for and why but most were physically looked at again. Then the driving test. Took a little over an hour for the whole thing.

Now, that said, I had an experience I've never had before. Driving down I-35 towards Oklahoma City and at the weight station I got the overhead sign that said something to the effect of "Truck, Pull in". As I was the only 'truck' on that section of highway (no Semi's anywhere near me at that time), I pulled in. Gave the weigh station police man a shrug to ask 'what was going on', he gave me a shrug and waved me on. Did find out that my coach was only 15900 of 17500 gross but, again, have never had that happen before.

pjones1969

They didn't make you do a walk around after the safety check?

No walk around at all, as a matter of fact I was waiting outside the truck and they told me I needed to wait IN the truck, never got out again after that.

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just found something interesting for us upgrading our licence to class A in Texas. If you have access to any type of trailer that has a gross of 14k you can use it instead of having to unhook and drag our rigs out for the driving test.

PondSkum

I was curious about this. The law is for any trailer over a certain GROSS weight. So why would we NEED to bring the big giant 5th wheel for the test when we can just pull up with an empty HD equipment trailer that only weighs about 4-5k lbs empty. The stuff that I've read just states that you have to take the driving test using a truck and trailer combo that qualifies as Class A.

Oldelevatorman

Do you think you couldn't pass the test pulling your 5th wheel? That's the reason for the test isn't it?

PondSkum

Do you think you couldn't pass the test pulling your 5th wheel? That's the reason for the test isn't it?

No the reason for the test is formality.. I have no problem pulling the trailer when I am going on a trip, but to get it out of where it's parked and put it back up just to go drive for a driving test is a waste of time. If I can just snatch up a smaller trailer that's easier to deal with for the testing, why not. What difference does it make which trailer you take, if it's qualified as a Class A it shouldn't matter. It's all to prove that you've taken the time to read all the rules, take the tests to prove that you know the rules, and go drive with some guy/gal at the dmv and prove to them that you know how to maneuver a trailer without causing an accident.

Oldelevatorman

The reason for the test is to show you can drive your rig that's over a certain weight. In my case it was an 18k fifth wheel. I guess if it's inconvenient, so be it! In CA you have to bring the trailer/RV you're going to be using the license for.

Jim.Allison

I was curious about this. The law is for any trailer over a certain GROSS weight. So why would we NEED to bring the big giant 5th wheel for the test when we can just pull up with an empty HD equipment trailer that only weighs about 4-5k lbs empty. The stuff that I've read just states that you have to take the driving test using a truck and trailer combo that qualifies as Class A.

The only TX. CDL exempt class A is an RV exemption, some military, firefighter, and farm exemption, I cannot find where you can pull a 40-foot gooseneck float with an exempt class A.

gslabbert5119

This is most interesting to me, seeing as i am considering leaving Florida and making Texas my home.

Thanks all for the insight.

In Florida if you can physically make it to your rig and you still have a pulse you are good to go...

humor folks, humor ������

avvidclif

The only TX. CDL exempt class A is an RV exemption, some military, firefighter, and farm exemption, I cannot find where you can pull a 40-foot gooseneck float with an exempt class A.

I have a Class A Tx license. With it I can pull anything up to a GCVW of 80k lbs. Just not commercially, IE: for money. If I buy a 45' trailer and it's mine and not used commercially I'm good. I don't know anything about the testing end as I converted my Class A CDL to a Class A, no test involved.

ksucats

Resurrecting this old thread I guess. See a few questions on what is having to be done to get the Class A, non-commercial, license. A LOT of confusion at the DMV as well.

When I went to get my Class-A non-commercial license I had to retake the written test but it included stuff on the trailer (checking lights, brakes, hitch, etc.) Simple questions but there all the same. Then the driving test included checking all the normal things to include lights (turn, brake and running) on the truck and trailer, explaining the 'emergency' breakaway switch and showing it to the examiner, checking tires, did not have a lug wrench with me but answered her questions about tire pressure and torque on the lug nuts. Then went for the driving test - normal driving in traffic, residential area, backing straight, backing up and then 90 degree turn into a lane, and parallel parking truck and trailer (which I had never done before). Passed all but really worried about the 90 degree and parallel parking. She wasn't impressed at all when I commented that both would probably be easier with a Semi-Trailer with the wheels so much further back than my RV's were. In any case, got back and she told me I had passed but that I'd have to go to Junction City Kansas, with medical exam paperwork, to get my actual CDL.

HUHHHH - asked her why since I was simply getting a Class A non-commercial license. A different examiner who had been watching me then asked why she had me do all of the stuff I had done (90 degree, parallel, air brakes discussion) as I was not getting a CDL. Bottom line to this long story -- she gave me the commercial CDL driving exam (which did pass). She apologized for the long test drive (I thanked her for passing me :D ) and after that I got my picture taken and license (non-CDL) mailed to me within a few days.