Hope its not true!

GoonF250

We are comparing new units to replace our unit now that we have retired. Big Horn and Big Country are on our short list. Yesterday we stopped to look at a couple of Big Country floorplans and noticed that some of the 2016's had the fiberglass back and some did not. Asked the salesman about it and they are getting rid of the fiberglass back cap! I asked him if Big Horn was following suit, he wasn't sure but suspected they were. It sure takes away from the looks with the flat back and bumper sticking out. This would sure make me think hard on a Big Horn/Big Country. Can anyone shed any info on the Big Horn path forward on this ? Thanks

happykraut

In my opinion, getting rid of the caps on the BC's is a good move. It's about time that their is a 'major' difference between the BC and BH. I would hate to see the cap disappear on the BH. I would not buy a fiver without a rear cap. Please keep the hate mail to a minimum. LOL

Bones

whats wrong with a flat wall. It's flat on the inside. Maybe the flat wall is more reliable then the fiberglass cap. Can they spruce up the back wall some?

wehavefun

I agree with happykraut, the rear cap on the higher end units is why I just purchased a new Bighorn. The direct competitors to Heartland compare themselves to Heartland but have no rear caps, putting Heartland above the rest IMHO.

I think Big Country is being lowered a notch so Bighorn and Landmark stand out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

That will turn Big Country into just another cheap looking fifth wheel. No reason for me to ever consider another one....JMHO..Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A quick call to Heartland would answer the OP's question and eliminate all the speculations.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Dave, from my experience most dealers know very little about the products they sell. Call Heartland directly for the straight scoop. Trace

Bohemian

Caps and othe construction details are what have lead me to the BC and BH units. I would really hate to restart my unit selection and brand preferences.

jbeletti

I confirmed with Heartland that on or about Sept 1 marked the production change for Big Country where we changed from the molded fiberglass rear cap to a flat rear cap. This change was driven by our desire to reach a more competitive price point with the Big Country line and to a lesser degree, put some marketing space between Big Country and Big Horn.

For those looking at Big Country now, this means a price that's more competitive than it was 6 months ago. For those who "must have" the molded fiberglass rear cap in a Big Country, there's likely a fair amount of dealer stock of those units.

The molded fiberglass rear cap is NOT being removed from any other Heartland brand.

TxCowboy

Seems the Big County brand page on the HL website is still showing pics of the molded fiberglass rear end cap but a detailed review of the various BC floor plans mention only the front cap, not the rear.

dalspot

MSRP of the BC dropped down $5-6,000 between January 27 and July 27: Something had to go to make up the price drop.

Jan 27 pricing:

3070RE $ 62,099
3800FL $ 74,399
3150RL $ 63,299
3900FLB $ 79,199
3450TS $ 64,949
3950FB $ 71,399
3650RL $ 64,799
4010RD $ 71,999

July 27 pricing:

3070RE $ 56,849
3800FL $ 69,149
3150RL $ 58,049
3900FLP $ 73,949
3450TS $ 59,699
3950FB $ 66,149
4010RD $ 66,749
3650RL $ 59,549

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our ElkRidge has the flat back wall. I haven't really had a problem with it. Easy to clean. Also have a real metal bumper in case of an accident. In fact, it makes going up and down the ladder much easier, and it's sturdier, because the stand-offs are all the same length. Since Big Country is supposed to be a level below the Big Horn, I don't see this as a bad thing. Helps differentiate the brands.

Kbvols

I understand the product differentiation and hitting price points however in my opinion the molded rear cap is a feature that distinguishes between a luxury unit and a regular full profile unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoonF250

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear BH is continuing with the back cap. In our opinion it does look higher end.
I confirmed with Heartland that on or about Sept 1 marked the production change for Big Country where we changed from the molded fiberglass rear cap to a flat rear cap. This change was driven by our desire to reach a more competitive price point with the Big Country line and to a lesser degree, put some marketing space between Big Country and Big Horn.

For those looking at Big Country now, this means a price that's more competitive than it was 6 months ago. For those who "must have" the molded fiberglass rear cap in a Big Country, there's likely a fair amount of dealer stock of those units.

The molded fiberglass rear cap is NOT being removed from any other Heartland brand.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well this news sux. We bought our '14 in May of '13 and had the option to add the rear cap. Would not have bought if could not have done that. Oh well I guess when we do upgrade we will be forced to a BH now. Sure do hate that cause we have a great relationship with Joel E as the brand mgr for BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk