Horn is in the shop :(

Paul & Nan

And when all else fails put a bunch of ice in the crispers in the bottom of fridge and use it as an expensive ice chest. We did that when going to Sedalia, the ----- fridge fixed itself quickly. Guess it didn't like the ugly names it was called. Nan

Rickhansen

Ken (CrazyScotsman) asked "On the fan that is at the back of the fridge, does anyone know how HOT it has to get back there before the fan kicks on ?"

Pretty hot. I knew the answer to your question when I added the extra condensor fan in mine, but don't recall the temperature now. The thermostat control (clicks-on) is screwed to a cooling fin up high on the right side of the condenser. I think it was somewhere between 115 and 130 degrees. The temperature setpoint should be stamped on the side of it. It should be easy for you to test it with a voltmeter and a hair dryer. Also make sure it has a good mechanical connection to the cooling fin to sense the temperature properly.

Good Luck.

CrazyScotsman

Rick, I was Googling about this problem earlier, I found a post on the Mobile suites web site from 3/08, it stated that fan kicks on at 150, and turns off at 130, that's seems a bit high, but what do i know, I think the temps that you stated would be more believable.
Fridge is at 36 as of 7.30 am, it is set on level 4, we shall see what it does today, outside temp is meant to be close to 90 and humidity going to be higher.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is the main problem with having the fridge on the slideout, it is hard to get the heat out. If I were in your shoes I would add a 12 volt fan or two to help it out. Others have done so with good success.

ChopperBill

BEER! OK now you got my attention! I haven't seen an RV fridge that will get my beer cold enough for my satisfaction. Our Bighorn refer works good enough for the grocery's but I always have my Coleman near by with beer on ice. :D

wdk450

Blue Ice Backup

Over the years I have accumulated about 10 blue ice packs and bags. I keep as many as the frozen food will allow in the freezers (both in the trailer and at home) for loss of refrigeration back ups, and misc. ice chest needs.

CrazyScotsman

Yesterday was warm and humid, I had the fridge set on level 4, it got as high as 40 degrees, maybe I have found a cure.
My neighbour and I, installed a toggle switch,and ran the wires from the fan to the switch, so I can turn the fan behind the fridge on and off. So I had fan running all afternoon, and I as I said temp in fridge didn't go over 40, now it was a different story after I loaded up the fridge, with all the opening and closing of the door the temp got up to 45. Thats not to bad considering it would get into the 50's before.
Now my question is, why in the world didn't CW do something like this, they are the so called experts, but there again they didn't know if it had a fan behind it or not.
Anyhoo this is just a temporary fix for now. I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that it'll stay working till we get back home from Goshen.
Thanks for all your suggestions. see you in Goshen..........Ken

Rickhansen

Ken,
Congrats for taking it on yourself. Why didn't CW do something like this? A couple thoughts (in no particular order):
1. They didn't care, their beer was cold.
2. Liability.
3. The book didn't say so.
4. They didn't know enough to try it.
5. Why bother, they got paid to do nothing.

I think you're on the right track.

CrazyScotsman

Rick, your guess is as good as mine why CW didn't put more air to the fridge. they themselves were certainly full of air, the , " Hot air " variety. I know the DW and I were not impressed with their tall tales they were telling us.
Anyhoo with that temporary fan switch I installed, the warmest the fridge has got inside was 45 during the day, and that was after opening and closing the door on it throughout the day as I loaded the fridge up.
I may have caused another problem though by doing what I done, the fins inside the fridge are frosting over at times. OH well, live and learn.
Cheers Ken.
PS> Watch out Goshen, I,m heading that way. There goes the neighbourhood when I get there. :)

blackfin

I have a 2009 3950 on the second trip my fridge would not cool, Dometic actually provided a new unit. On the 4th trip with the new fridge the same thing started happening all over again (camper level). I now have a new cooling unit installed, still will not cool, Dometic is upgrading the compartment to two fans vise one, having insulation installed, sheet metal to direct flow... oh yea it's only 54 here this morning and has been for the most of the week...sounds like a plan...not The fans run on a thermostatic controller and would never come on... From my understanding Dometic is saying that due to the units being placed in the bump outs that the needed air exchange is not taking place. I am quickly running out of patience with this brand all together. Has anyone used a Norcold unit?

CrazyScotsman

blackfin.... After the Heartland ( at the rally ) factory guys installed a piece of sheet metal to divert the air and put more insulation above the fridge, I haven't had anywhere close to the problems I had before, about the warmest the fridge has got was about 46, but that was caused by warm items being placed in it,and outside temp was in mid 90's, plus you know how humid it can get here in lovely old MO

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Adding a fan to remove the heat works well. While it didnt do much on mine for making the fridge colder it did make recovery alot faster.
We are not afraid to open the fridge door in the summer now.

HPIM0952.jpg

and the switch and light to let us know we (I) forgot to turn it off

HPIM0953.jpg

houg301

3580rl Big Horn Fridge issues

Hello,I have read that there are problems with 3580rl Big horn fridges.Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed.We are considering purchasing this model and certainly do not want to go through the major issues that have been mentioned.From what was stated the fridge area was worked on...no relief from problem then owner eventually did some work with extra fan(I am not good at self fixes)...etc but eventually had Heartland fix by some sheet metal etc
I assume that if different design wasn't implemented then any of these units could possibly have same issues.

Thanks!

John T Bettencourt

Ray, Is he fridge on a slide. I had a Cedar Creek that was on a slide and the only way I could keep it cool in the day was to run a small elec. fan between the two vents. My new Landmark has it on a slide and had no problem this summer. Maybe you could try that. John

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am very curious why this problem is happening.

I must be very lucky but my Refer is doing very well. I don't get ice on the inside of the fridge. Frost in the freezer is never bad. I defrost every 3 to 6 months. I never had a problem with my Refer getting hot and some of the days have been as high as 105*. If I turn the temp down it will get cold enough to freeze water bottles in the fridge.

Mine is not in a slide. Other than that what is so different in yours and mine???

Now if I start having problems with mine, I am going to blame some of youse guys.. LOL

BC