Horrible service

I just wanted to share a horrible experience with Camping World in Kingston NY regarding my 2015 prowler 30lx that I had purchased in July 26th 2014( sorry in advance it is a very long post).
I dropped my camper off on Monday July 13th for a state inspection and warranty work ( the cable tv in back bedroom wasn't working the panel in front bedroom wall ,on the slideout side, had come loose and the front DVD player wasn't working right).
When I got to camping world we did the walk around of my unit for any damages and I explained that I wasn't sure what was wrong with the cable. I told them I took the plate off the wall to check to see if the cable was loose and when it wasn't I decided to have them fix it.
I was told it would be about a week and if I don't here anything in 5 days to call.
I called a week later on the 20th and was told they didn't have any info to leave my name and number and someone would call back. When I didn't hear from anyone by the next day I called again ,and again same response : leave your name and number and we'll call you back. I called everyday for a week straight and always the same answer. I even spoke to the service manager Michael and he told me the same thing and again no call back.
Finally fed up, I emailed corporate and the next day got a call from Camping World in regards to my email, and was told that the reason it took so long was because the person who wrote it up initially had been fired. So any way they said it would be ready the next day except for the DVD player which they had to order.
So the next day which was the 30th I go to Camping World to get my camper when I get there I see the person who wrote up my camper working.( lie #1) I pay for my inspection and go check out my camper. I wasn't able to inspect it like I had wanted cause it was parked right next to another camper and I couldn't open the slide. So I decide to hook it up to pull it out. I go to raise my power jack and it doesn't work and the lights don't work ( the battery was dead). So I go back inside to the assistant service manager and ask her why is my battery dead ?he asks my to wait so she could ask the tech. She comes back out a few minutes later and says " the tech said he might have left something on, just hook it up and the battery will charge". I was stunned by this answer and asked to speak to the General Manager. She goes to the back and comes out with the service manager Michael. I explain to him her telling me to just hook it up. He says that was a dumb thing for her to say. I then explain to him about no one calling me back. He then asks, who did I talk to? I told him I spoke to you for one and he laughs and says your name is familiar. So after no apology or nothing and just seeming not to care I ask to speak to the General Manager. He tells me he isn't in ,that he'll be there tomorrow.
So finally after they hook up my battery to a booster pack so I can hook up I leave.

The next morning, Friday, I try calling the GM and was told that he was in a meeting and was transferred to his voice mail. I left message and waited.
That afternoon around 4p.m I call back and get a different receptionist. I ask to speak to the GM she then informs me that she can not connect me directly to him or transfer me to his voice mail. Shocked by this I tell her I was already transferred this morning . She tells me that I shouldn't have been and that he left orders that he doesn't want customers to contact him directly. She then tells me she will email him and he'll get back to me. I told her this is unacceptable and if anything give me his email .She refused. Now I'm angry, and tell her I can have the email to the CEO but not the GM? She must've got his attention because he then decided to take my call.
So the GM ,David Dandurand, finally gets
on the phone. I start explaining everything that happened. I get to the part with my dead battery and he stops me and says oh you're the one with the battery, and then proceeds to tell me when he heard the tech say what he did ,that he told Michael the service manager to go out and fix it. When he said that, I got angry . I asked him so you where there yesterday and he says yeah I'm there 6 days a week( lie #2). I then tell him about what the service manager said about him not being there and how angry I was. He tells me that he doesn't know why I was told that and he would take care of it internally and when I come in for my DVD player to see him he'll make it right.

Wait, there's more(again I apologize for the length). So we go camping this last weekend and when we set up I turn the tv on in the back bedroom and nothing no channels and the panel is still loose with just tape over the seem. So I call Yesterday and this time I got transferred to voicemail. He finally calls me back this afternoon with the service manager ,Mike.
Now I'm angry and I'm explaining about everything and how this is ridiculous and I'm not happy and that this is unacceptable. He then tells me and I quote "that calling and telling him how much they suck" doesn't help and what do I want him to do? I then tell him that word never came out of my mouth and even though I am extremely angry I haven't been rude. He then says bring back and we'll fix it. I tell him that's it that's all you're going to do? He then says well what do you want I've already apologized? I think I deserve something some kind of compensation. He says oh you just want something well we don't compensate for that and Michael chimed in that they don't warranty life( whatever that means).

This is the worst customer service I have ever received. I love my Prowler but because of them I can sadly say since they are the closest Heartland dealer I don't think we will be buying another heartland. So if anyone is thinking about going to Camping World in Kingston NY....don't buy from someone else it will save you a huge head ache.....thank you for letting me rant .....

Last edited by a moderator:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree with Camping World's reputation. Lots of folks have had terrible experiences with them, us included. I would not let Camping World put air in my tires.

Please don't let a bad experience with them sour you on purchasing another Heartland product. Call Heartland to get another service location. They will allow other service providers with prior approval. Good luck.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We use a local independent RV service station. They go through Heartland for all warranty repairs. They do not sell any campers, just service and repairs. Maybe look into something like that.

Hopefully you can get out and enjoy that new Prowler. Join us at a rally in the Northeast somewhere. Love to have ya!!

GOTTOYS

Send a copy of you story to Marcus and see if he really does look into complaints about CW...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Sorry to hear about your issues with CW.

Don't let it get you down . . . find another dealer or RV repair shop to fix you up!

We just bought a new 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel two months ago, and while I haven't yet taken it in for any warranty repairs, we have a small list of items that we will be having our dealership fix.

I've fixed several small things myself, but most of the rest involve replacing stuff (bad window shade and possible window replacement) . . . so I will let them do that!

We had a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner before that, and the dealership we bought that from was great . . . until we signed on the dotted line!

Without getting into the complete story, I'll just say that the way they treated us during the warranty period cost them a future sale from us!

The first few months they were OK, but after that they went down hill.

I've informed our new dealership of the issues we had with the first dealer, and they promised us that they will not be like that!

I'll let you know in a few weeks . . . got a trip planned in two weeks so will not be taking the Prowler in until we get back!

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg

Bogie

I don't blame you for being irate. I had a bad experience with camping world and their personnel early on when I first bought my rig (did not buy from them). I was also irate. I would suggest you do two things. First, write a letter to Mr. Lemonis. It will certainly make you feel better, but all it will get you is a response from and underling and a $10 certificate for your trouble. Then I would find another place to have your rig serviced.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry for your troubles with CW. Based on these and many others, I won't ever take a trailer there for service.

Unfortunately, our selling dealer and 2 other dealers owned by the same company delivered a similar pattern--blame it on the fired guy/guy who left. Don't know, will call you back. Manager isn't here right now, he'll get back with you. Etc etc etc.

Find an independent repair facility and call Heartland for approval. An independent (not a dealer) will get it fixed, their reputation depends on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to posting your bad experience on rvservicereviews.com, you should check them for local independent service facilities in your area with good reviews and see if Heartland will approve any of them for your service work.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with everybody else on CW. I don.t even buy RV related stuff from them. Heck, Wally World has the same stuff and it's cheaper. As far as blaming HL, why would you do that?? HL had nothing to do with CW's bad service. RV dealers are not the same as car dealers.

hriker

We own a Heartland Landmark and use Diederich's RV Mart in Coxsackie NY. They are wonderful people and do great work. They will do warranty work and work with heartland. We have used them for over 4 years for our service work with no complaints.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Burnsze15

Been in market for purchasing a new Cyclone. Came pretty close to picking a stock unit up from Kingston, its closest to us here in New England. When I had to leave several messages for the sales rep to return my call, I knew combined with the reputation of the company I was looking for trouble. So glad I've moved on and am working with a new dealer. Thanks for the great report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why don't all of those who have had bad service experience with Camping World write a letter detailing your experience to the CEO of Camping World. Problems cannot be fixed by corporate if they are unknown. Just a thought.

Last edited:

maddog

Huhmina ! Huhmina!
Have had great service from my dealer,,great people,,,prompt,helpful..

Harolds Rv Bath Pa.

avvidclif

Why doesn't all of those who have had bad service experience with Camping World write a letter detailing your experience to the CEO of Camping World. Problems cannot be fixed by corporate if they are unknown. Just a thought.

Trust me, corporate knows. Think RV.NET, Camping World, and Good Sam. Marcus Lemonis CEO of them all.

jmgratz

Trust me, corporate knows. Think RV.NET, Camping World, and Good Sam. Marcus Lemonis CEO of them all.

He might know but he cannot ignore hundreds of personal letters written to him. It could also help to send the letter to the local newspaper and also to Trailer Life Magazine.

Mike-n-Justina

We had a horrible experience with Camping World in Akron Ohio on our Big Country. We sent an email to Marcus and never heard anything back. I sent the same email several times and never heard from Marcus or any of HIS people. Good luck!

jmgratz

We had a horrible experience with Camping World in Akron Ohio on our Big Country. We sent an email to Marcus and never heard anything back. I sent the same email several times and never heard from Marcus or any of HIS people. Good luck!

Emails sometimes end up in the junk file box. A handwritten letter today gains attention because executives know someone has taken the time to sit down and take the time and effort to compose and mail. It has worked for me much better than email. It gets a response too.