Hot Skin And Grounding

We had a few lighting strikes the last few days.A house away the flag pole was hit.The house is not in the open just wondering if anyone grounds their trailer frame to the ground using a small rod and cable?I have seen people with tall flag poles attached to their trailer.Seeing some RV Parks sit in the open or along the ocean I wonder if it would be a wise Idea to ground the whole unit?

Just wondering if anyone else has thought about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

Lightning is both strange AND POWERFUL, so while you may try to hide it's determined to do what it wants, wherever it wants.

Years ago it hit a pine tree (wood = a good insulator) in my yard, the outer tree exploded.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you’re going to drive a heavy copper rod or steel pipe deep (like several feet) into the ground, you won’t be doing much. Even with a lightning rod, there is no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
I have never seen a lighning rod on a RV. You are likely better being a poor conductor rather than becoming a good conductor. Working in broadcast engineering on tall towers much money is spent on cad welding 6 O cables and ground rods 50 ft in the ground and in one case we did 20 of theses. Still got hit by lightning still blew up transmitters.

My RV Flag pole is fibreglass non-conductive so I am not worried. I would be more worried about high EMF or Surge damage on the AC line. I have a Progressive systems and the built in TRC system on my Landmark. As others are said not much you can do except be aware. Not to mention hitting unground services with a 6 ft ground rod without calling Wally Watchout Locate.

Last edited:

danemayer

One of the risks associated with lightning is damage to electronics caused by the high electrostatic charge of a near strike. If you make the pole a conductor with a good ground, you may just end up grounding the lightning strike, but suffering electrostatic damage to everything in the trailer.

WillyBill

I grew up in the South in an area with LOTS of lightening. We were taught to turn everything that used A/C power off, and unplug, during lightening storms. Most folks in our area employed this successfully so Sherry and I still practice this to this day - At home as well as camping.

WB

GK2018

I grew up in the South in an area with LOTS of lightening. We were taught to turn everything that used A/C power off, and unplug, during lightening storms. Most folks in our area employed this successfully so Sherry and I still practice this to this day - At home as well as camping.

WB
That's how I grew up as well, I remember one year we forgot to unplug the tv and when lightening hit you could hear the tv pop like a bottle rocket! Just last year I had lightning hit my Ram 2500 on the rear bumper and surprisingly the only thing it did was left a nasty looking burnt spot, got lucky it didn't cook all the electronics!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk