Hot Water Hot on water pump, warm on shore water

8amps

We have been in a campground on shore power. Hot water using electric water heater on shore power was medium hot (not really hot enough to take a shower or properly wash dishes, but more than just warm). Hadn't had a chance to figure out the problem, when it turned very cold here (Las Vegas) and to deal with at or near freezing temps, we filled our fresh water tank and are running off the water pump. Without changing anything else, water is piping hot. Any ideas as to why that could be? Propane water heater is still off. In the past, to get the water to the proper temperature I have used both propane and electric, which works good. Been using the shower at the campground in the meantime, so it wasn't urgent. I was thinking that the electric element - or whatever its called :) - might be going out, but it heating very hot under the water pump seems to nix that theory.

danemayer

The more common causes of tepid hot water are a partially open hot water heater bypass valve, or hot & cold water mixing at the outside faucet if the handles haven't been shut. It's not clear why it would be better on the pump, but I'd check those first.

If the water flow/pressure from the pump is better than the city water pressure, the tepid hot water might indicate a bad check valve on the hot water output of the water heater. If so, on city water I would expect that water flow on hot faucets would be less than on cold faucets, leading to a cooler mix.

8amps

We are using a brass regulator $10 +/- from Wal-mart, not an adjustable one. On a side note, we have switched from shore water to water tank/pump due to cold temps in Las Vegas. Noticed occassional bursts of the water pump going on while not using any water anywhere. I've always heard to investigate this, which we did, but couldn't find anything. Today, we discovered slight amount of water on the basement floor (under plastic bins). Someone who shall not be named (cough cough) thinks the maybe tcomhe outdoor shower was not completely turned off hence the occasional pumps and water on the basement floor. Very minor amount. Never thought the two things (poor hot water) might be related. Once it warms up and can get back on shore water, it will be interesting to see. In the meantime, I'll double check bypass too. Thanks for everyone's input!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Using one of the $10 water pressure regulators will most likely restrict the flow.
You would be best served to get a good adjustable regulator that does not restrict the flow rate.
Toward the bottom of this page (Link) there is a little comparison of water pressure regulators.

Peace
Dave

Wharton

Best place to buy hoses and anything regarding water for the RV is the RVwaterfilterstore.com. He is very knowledgeable and answers all your questions. We love his hoses and they can be made in any length.

olcoon

When we first got our Elk Ridge, I'd have water in the basement numerous times. Finally traced it down to the outside shower, I guess from vibration going down the road they'd get turned on. Did everything I could think of & couldn't get it to stop. Finally put shut off valves behind the UDC & leave them off. Haven't had a problem since!