Houston Campgrounds

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
DW and I have to be in Houston on the 18th. Any suggestions for a camp ground in and around the Huston Community College?

Thanks in advance.

EandJ

It does help, because HCC has several campus all over the Houston area. I used to live in Stafford about 12 years ago. There are no RV parks/campgrounds in Stafford. However, there are some not too far (by Houston standards) away.

Just up Highway 90 (also known as South Main) is Lakeview RV Park. It's big, well lit, very nice and secure. A lot of people use it for the Medical Center. Highway 90 cuts throught the middle of Stafford so it's a fairly straight shot. And since they redid the road a few years back to semi-freeway, there are not near as many lights. Probably about 10 miles - 15 minutes or so.

Closer is All Star RV Resort. Don't know anything about it except its tucked away behind PPL Motorhomes which is at the intersection of Beltway 8 and Highway 59. Might be a little more convoluted to get get to, but less miles as the crow flies.

There are a couple more out in the Richmond area which is past Sugarland. Riverbend RV Park and Shiloh RV Park. I think they both are fairly small and probably 15-20 miles away.

Then a little farther than that is Brazos Bend State Park. We've been there several times (never camped as its only about 10 minutes from our house) and its fun. Trees, fish, gators, and observatory - what more do you need?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Rex, sorry for the late posting, but EandJ gave you some good advice on parks. There is nothing in Stafford. Brazos Bend is a nice state park but watch out for the gators! Arnie needs protection.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Rex, sorry for the late posting, but EandJ gave you some good advice on parks. There is nothing in Stafford. Brazos Bend is a nice state park but watch out for the gators! Arnie needs protection.

Great! Now I have to buy Arnie a gun to. LOL! It's spring break so I may have to take what I can get. Plus we won't know exactly which campus until tomorrow. Stacy has a presentation to do and we are just assuming its at the main campus @ stafford.

EandJ

Do double check on your campus. The main campus for Houston Community College in NOT in Stafford - FYI. It's in mid-town Houston. I think it's street address is on San Jacinto. It takes up several blocks.

That would alter your travel arrangements as Brazos Bend SPis probably 50 miles from that campus and not so good traffic.

If the seminar is at the main campus on San Jacinto - your best bet might be the Lakeview RV Park. It's a lot nearer to central Houston than any of the others that I know of.

EandJ

One other thing - next week is Spring Break. State Park has a good chance of being full. And if the seminar is at the main HCC campus in mid-town Houston, chances are you will be driving on either Fannin or South Main to get there. They both go by Hermann Park which traffic will be terrible next week.

Kids are out - zoo, science museum, outdoor theatre, etc. = gridlock around Hermann Park, so be aware of it if you have to go that way.

We homeschool - and our kids are doing extra school next week during spring break. Instead of trying to fight our way through the crowds, we are catching up for when they missed a day here or there. They can always go to the zoo on a nice day when everybody else is back at schoool.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
The website gave a stafford address. We should know today after Stacy talks to McGraw Hill rep.