How do you hook up satellite dish (tailgater)?

etcmss

So I got a Tailgater and DISH receiver to use in our Big Horn but continue to have trouble getting reception using the trailer wiring.
I connected the antenna/dish unit to the Living Room coax on the UDC and then in the LR compartment connect the receiver in to the lower coax and then search for satellites-------doesn't work.
When hooking up directly it works.
Tried to understand the Big Horn drawing FEL-5112 and seem confused on the cable routing----the LR goes to the booster plate??????
Am still searching cable routing looking for bad connection.
The UDC has 4 satellite connections--2 for roof--which I don't have---and 2 for satellite inputs--1 to bedroom (which seems to work ok) and 1 to LR that seems to be broke....
So if some (or any) one has the secret handshake to make this work ----would you share?

also posted in Big Horn section

pegmikef

If yours is like mine, the correct cable connector for the living room is the third from the left in the UDC. I think the diagram shows a different one. I also have a 2014 BH

etcmss

I'm using the third from the left connection in the UDC.
the attached 5112 drawing shows somewhat confusing connections for the LR satellite input ---why does the satellite appear to go to the booster in the bedroom and then to the upper coax? and the path through the splitter seems odd?

Attachments

• 2013.5_LM-BH_Coax_Layout.pdf
    161 KB · Views: 53

danemayer

I'm using the third from the left connection in the UDC.
the attached 5112 drawing shows somewhat confusing connections for the LR satellite input ---why does the satellite appear to go to the booster in the bedroom and then to the upper coax? and the path through the splitter seems odd?

Some labels in the engineering drawing appear to be pointing to the wrong coax connectors. The important point is that one of the coax connectors in the UDC terminates at one of the coax connectors in the living room. Another terminates in the bedroom.

During assembly, the wires on the backside of the UDC can get screwed onto the wrong connectors. Same thing can easily happen in the living room or bedroom. And although it happens a lot less lately, the coax connectors are not always installed perfectly.

The signal booster plate in the bedroom probably has 2 coax connectors. One for antenna/cable and the other for satellite. The living room should also have those 2, but no button or light for the signal booster.

Now that you've got the direct connection working, I'd suggest trying each of the 8 possible UDC satellite and living room room connection combinations. Or as previously suggested, get a signal toner/tracer to find the correct path. Inspect the connectors for stray ground wires shorting to the center pin, and for loose connectors.

etcmss

the picture shows the entertainment cabinet in the LR. The dual coax plate and the single coax plate are my question.
The FEL drawing shows the upper coax on the double to be the antenna-cable and the lower to be the satellite receiver in----the single coax with the jumper seems to be the TV cable-antenna in that I will prove this morning.
So for those with satellite receivers ----"Do you use the lower coax to the receiver in the LR?" like the drawing seems to imply.
The HDMI connection I used for the satellite receiver out and it works good (HDMI2 on Sources
Gary

Attachments

• img_6590 (Medium).jpg
    img_6590 (Medium).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 75

osims

bsims
Check underneath slide where coax goes into underbelly, you should be able to pull coax out a little and get to the connector. Our previous unit had a bad connection there. They pre wire the slides and then connect when they install.This may or may not solve your problem but it's worth a try.

etcmss

so with substitution and restarts I found the problem in the wire to the LR plate from below the slide going up.
The wiring for the satellite goes from the UDC connection across the basement and then goes back (in the under belly) to just inside the frame in the middle of the slide. There is a connector (a feed through male to male coax) that connects the main wire to the one that goes up the slide wall to the entertainment cabinet. Somehow the connectors or the wires kept dropping part or all of the signal---so I ran new wire (that's a whole story by itself). after new wire the test went OK and got all three satellites then I quit for the day--reassembly tomorrow.
So the FEL 5112 drawing is right and wrong.
The LR satellite wire goes from the 3rd connection (from the left-just like the label) in the UDC to the LR cabinet. In this model the dual plate has the upper being the cable/antenna (from the bedroom booster) and the lower is a wire for the LR satellite receiver input (from the belly with a connector just inside the frame beam and covered.) The original satellite is white coax. The drawing is incorrect in the LR dual coax box.
The upper has a wire from the UDC and this is wrong. The upper is the antenna/cable from the booster and is used to jumper to the TV coax input on the single coax plate closeby.
The lower coax on the drawing is wrong----this one shows the wire form the bedroom booster (and it is not)---it is actually the white coax from the UDC with one connection below.
The drawing and actual could be either way by swapping the wires or the labels.........so look for the cable/antenna jumper and that should tell you.
Hope this is clear enough.
Thanks to Bill pointing to the below connection to the slide.

Dennyha

the picture shows the entertainment cabinet in the LR. The dual coax plate and the single coax plate are my question.
The FEL drawing shows the upper coax on the double to be the antenna-cable and the lower to be the satellite receiver in----the single coax with the jumper seems to be the TV cable-antenna in that I will prove this morning.
So for those with satellite receivers ----"Do you use the lower coax to the receiver in the LR?" like the drawing seems to imply.
The HDMI connection I used for the satellite receiver out and it works good (HDMI2 on Sources
Gary
I believe you have the correct impression of the double coax plate. The upper should be the Antenna/Cable In connection. The lower should be the SAT In connection. The single coax plate, I believe, is the SAT OUT to the other TV areas. Some Satellite receivers have a Coax out so that you can use a single receiver on the TV where the receiver is located, and on another TV. In this case, you would connect the jumper from the receiver to the SAT OUT to feed the receiver signal to another TV. My unit does not have this single coax plate, but it is on the drawing for my unit.