How important would an outside kitchen be to you?

Bigk

We just purchased our current trailer (2012 Sundance-3000CK). We were not looking for an outdoor camping kitchen before the purchase, but liked the features and felt it was a good idea since we have grand-children. We haven't camped with our current 5th wheel yet but look forward to using the outdoor features. I will say I do miss the under-sink storage space we had with our last 5th.

Rhonda

After using our camper and our outside kitchen all last summer and getting prepared to use it again this summer, I can safely say that we love it! it was so handy to keep the drinks and condiments in the fridge as well as just being extra fridge space for other stuff. Very handy when you are entertaining and for all those evening bonfires and treats.
The T.V is a waste outside, we would be better off having a microwave outside than the fridge. I still find that it is a little too high, need a stool to be comfortable working at the counter , we made a platform.
I still think that the entire outside kitchen could be made a bit lower so that the top bunk in the bunk room has more head space. There is more than enough room under the door for even my husband when standing on the platform. Our outside kitchen seems to be the highest one that I have seen.
But all in all, we love it!

EandJ

I could see how an outside kitchen would be a neat idea, but for us, when we were looking at getting a new travel trailer, I came to hate them. We have a lot of kids. And so many bunkhouse models we had to exclude because the space was used for an outside kitchen. Unfortunately, no manufacturer would offer a outside kitchen delete either and replace it with a full set of bunks.

sengli

Guess I am old school. DW and I have seen these on many of the models out there. Doesn't interest us at all.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Personally, no interest here either, but I can see how they would be great if you entertained with lots of people/family outside a lot.

I like the option to have it, or not, on the models that could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gebills

It's interesting to see the different ideas and uses or lack of need for some of the different pieces of an outdoor kitchen. DW and I considered the outdoor kitchen, but being near/at retirement age and considering we are routinely traveling and do not have the grandkids RV'ing with us, we decided not to consider models with outside kitchens. Contrary to several who have expressed their thoughts, I have on several occasions taken the bedroom TV outside to watch sports programs while DW is watching Dancing with the Stars or something else that I have 0 interest in. On several occasions, I've grabbed a small 110V refer and thrown in the basement for extra capacity and particularly when the grandkids are RV'ing with us. Weight is minimal, maybe 25-30 pounds with drinks for the kids and it keeps the inside refer door closed more.

Cooking wise, if its sunny, I grab the grill from the front basement and grill. If its raining and warm, I put the awning down and grab the grill. We live in the great Northwest which equates to many cooler, rainy days when we are out RV'ing. This all means that, as previously eluded to, its nice to set indoors, with the umteenth cup of jo, setting in the recliner, starring out the large picture window and watch the world go by.

It seems like outdoor kitchens are more for those those with kids who are RV'ing in warm sunny weather, which, we don't always have that luxuary; and as well, the older we get, the easier it is to pull somewhere, put out the slides, get another cup of jo and set there looking out the window from the recliner. Happy Trails, gebills

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Personally, no interest here either, but I can see how they would be great if you entertained with lots of people/family outside a lot.

I like the option to have it, or not, on the models that could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I tailgate at football games a lot and cook outside almost exclusively while out there and I would not have one of them either as they are cheap looking and would not be able to do much with them. I have a lot of cooking equipment and I just set up on a table to do what I need too. Also carry drinks in an ice chest so no need for outdoor fridge either. It may be for someone else but certainly not us.

mzcummins

As this thread has revealed it is personal preference and all in how you use the camper, we have never had a outdoor kitchen until the 3400qb but am very excited to use it (still snow in mn), we will still bring the big charcoal grill for big meals but the propane will be nice for quick meals for the kids and morning breakfast, I'm just thinking that it will bring the camping back outside with the family and friends.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Most, if not all, of the outside kitchens I have seen are located at the side, rear of the trailer. It would be interesting to have an outside kitchen on the front side. Many of the sites I stay do not have level sites and the rear of the camper is usually located in a place where the kitchen would be difficult to use.

ParkIt

It would have been really handy in our old RV but we did a lot of entertaining back then and all our kids have grown up since that time, a kitchen outside would have been pure bliss. Full timing now we have a small dorm refer in the basement with the huge BBQ on the non-entry side and use the shower head in the UDC, it works quite well but we don't move but twice a year.

The only part they should have figured out was how to get a kitchen on the roof. That's where we were most of the time and it wasn't amusing to have someone pass up food from the entry door and make sure someone had a good grip on my belt loops while I grabbed it... ;)

MCTalley

We love our outdoor kitchen. The biggest thing we've found is that the outdoor refer is great for putting lunch materials in. When spending the day driving, we can stop, walk to the outside of the unit and fix lunch. We also keep a lot of drinks out there, too. When we stop for fuel we aren't tempted to spend $3.50 on soft drinks.

We do use it when stopped, as well. In nice weather, it is great to grill up some meat outside. To be honest, however, we could probably do without the TV outside. We're not big TV people. I'm tossing around ideas to put a small microwave out there somehow.

DonnyB007

I read through all the replies and interesting views. For us, we are retired with no grand kids. We will be going on the road for 4 months starting this May. We would seldom have use for an outside kitchen - too high up, attracts bugs, at the back of the trailer with back in sites is usually crappy, and if we do cook outside, we use barbecue/ campfire type deals. Certainly, is not our preference.

GoinNorth

Our Caliber doesn't have an outside kitchen, but we have no need for it as we made our own lol. We grill & cook outside anyway, bring along a mini fridge, and the outside shower w/ the bike rack is our cleaning station. Works well for us!