How many Heartlands on the road?

jbeletti

Congratulations Tom! Woohoo - another Landmark owner and the Mt. Rushmore layout as well!

You'll have yours before I will. We don't need ours until April 1 so that's the date we set for a delivery.

Can't wait to see a picture of your entire rig - all connected.

Enjoy!

Jim

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ditto the congrats Tom!

That is going to be one fantastic looking rig. And what a great Valentines gift for the DW! I'll bet you haven't had a good nights sleep since making the decision just cause you keep dreaming about getting out in it! I think it is going to be really cool the first time we meet up with a fellow owner out in some CG as we start seeing more and more of the Heartlands on the road. Now go get that rig loaded up and head south for some warm weather!:)

Phil

slideout

I'VE JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT Heatlands! I've been looking at Alpenlites, Newmars & or Carriages? I hear rumors that Carriges QC have gone down hill.... a bit? Maybe a rumor? I called Alpenlites, they make about 3 1/2 units a day. Yakima, WA FYI The more you know befor buying IS important. Oh, anyone heard about Doubletrees RV, Mobile Suites? Just curious.

Attachments

• Custom Graphics Left.jpg
    Custom Graphics Left.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Custom Graphics Cyclone closeup.jpg
    Custom Graphics Cyclone closeup.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Custom Graphics Right.jpg
    Custom Graphics Right.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Custom Graphics front.jpg
    Custom Graphics front.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Custom Graphics Left2.jpg
    Custom Graphics Left2.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Custom Graphics Right all.jpg
    Custom Graphics Right all.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 0

jbeletti

Hi Slideout and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Glad you stumbled across us.

How did you end up finding out about Heartland RVs? Also, how did you find this forum?

To answer your question about Mobile Suites by Double Tree RVs, they are a decent coach. In my estimation, the Mobile Suites and the Heartland Landmark are on par for luxury.

While it is debatable, some feel the Mobile Suites has s slight edge in fit and finish. I feel Heartland has closed this gap.

While I have not priced Mobile Suites recently, 6 months ago, I pursued them and Heartland aggressively and found Heartland's Landmark to cost less.

In addition to the cost difference, there are some things unique to the Landmark that really made the difference for me. Rather than list a bunch of features and differences and such, I invite you to visit the Heartland RVs factory website. Once there, click on Landmark from the left menu bar. Download the 8 page brochure. Tons of great information.

Not sure the price point you are looking at but Heartland now has the Bighorn line. Quite a value - take a look at it too. I'd characterize the Bighorn in the Montana price range but with a better build and feature set. You be the judge though.

Best of luck to you,

Jim

Attachments

• Tampa Trip 050.JPG
    Tampa Trip 050.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1

Susan

New Heartland Owner!

Jim and I just bought a Landmark Golden Gate #008! We're really excited. We are getting our house ready to sell and will hopefully be on the road by Jan. 06. We're really excited. But, we don't have a truck yet. We're looking at the F-450 and am wondering if that is more truck than we really need. Any feedback from you veterans would be appreciated. This is our first adventure with a 5th wheel. Susan

Tom of Ypsi

Congratulations on your new purchase. You should be able to get all of your answers on your GG on this forum. In my opinion there is never too much truck. The F-450 on the other hand will let you add much more to your truck and GG. Now you will be able to add an extra 100 gal fuel tank, buy fuel were it is cheaper, without worry of weight plus anything else you may want to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 30

jbeletti

Susan,

Congratulations on your GG purchase and welcome to the family!

For me, I would not prefer to pull the GG with the F450 unless as Tom mentions, you plan on loading up on cargo, like diesel, a very heavy tool box full of stuff or your GG basement loaded up to the max.

That said, if I had my druthers (and a large budget) and was full-timing it like you may plan to do, I would opt for an MDT. Chariot Vans out of Elkhart makes some sweet units.

Look for Jeff's post on this forum for more information on Chariot.

Jim

Fordsd250

I know this is the middle of April, but just read your post and wanted to put my two cents worth in. I took delivery of a Bighorn 3500RL 10 days ago and the last three numbers in the Vin are 393. I don't know if that means its rig 393 or not. We have not taken it out of the driveway yet, but we have tested everything we could and the only problem we have is the TV in the living room won't work. Talked to Scott at the factory about it and it is being taken care of. Our 3500RL seems to be built very well. We traded in a Montana 3555RL we loved, but this seems so much nicer. looking foreward to our first outing.

Roger.

Attachments

• Spring hanger.JPG
    Spring hanger.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
  • spring hanger 2.JPG
    spring hanger 2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 30

jbeletti

Roger,

You are correct - 393 at the end of your VIN indicates that you own Heartland trailer number 393. You could consider that a serial number. Mine is 378 so they were made within a couple weeks of each other but at 2 different plants.

Heartland's headquarters building on Paul Drive has their original plant in it and is now (since about mid-March) exclusive to the Landmark line where their new building a mile or 2 away (the former Palmaire plant) is now the Bighorn plant.

If you get a chance to stop in Elkhart, you should give the Bighorn factory a visit. Just contact the factory first - they've been happy to host Jeff and I a couple of times already.

Happy camping!

Jim

A

AbNormal

We're looking at the F-450
Just in case you were not aware, the F450 is a "chassis-only" vehicle. That means no box. You need to factor in a custom fifth wheel rear deck ($$), to finish the truck purchase.

Otherwise, look at the F350 with the "TowBoss" option, that provides a 4.30 rear end, and 26,000 pound GCVWR.

Good luck...

Attachments

• Closet Flange.jpg
    Closet Flange.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Closet Flange Repair Kit.jpg
    Closet Flange Repair Kit.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Fernco Coupling.jpg
    Fernco Coupling.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 1

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Fordsd250 said:
I know this is the middle of April, but just read your post and wanted to put my two cents worth in. I took delivery of a Bighorn 3500RL 10 days ago and the last three numbers in the Vin are 393. I don't know if that means its rig 393 or not. We have not taken it out of the driveway yet, but we have tested everything we could and the only problem we have is the TV in the living room won't work. Talked to Scott at the factory about it and it is being taken care of. Our 3500RL seems to be built very well. We traded in a Montana 3555RL we loved, but this seems so much nicer. looking foreward to our first outing.

Roger.

Roger,

A note about your TV. Check to see if it is set up to receive cable or air signal. To do so, press the menu button then go to options. You will see a screen to program your channels for air or cable. Just went through this myself thinking I had a problem but my tv was set for cable. Changed it to air and reprogrammed and it works fine.

Phil

Susan

looking at the F-450

Thanks for the reply. We know that the box would be additional $$ on the 450. We've also been offered a 2003 F-350 SD, CC, with a BRAND NEW 6.0 V8 Powerstroke Diesel with about 200 miles on it, 4WD for $31,000. The body has 47,000 mi on it. It's a one owner truck and was used to pull a 5th wheel, but I don't know the GVWR of the 5er. Do you think this would be adequate for the Golden Gate:confused: Susan

I forgot to add that this truck has a 3.73 rear end.

Last edited:
A

AbNormal

More truck stuff...

Susan,

If the pre-owned F350 has the "new" motor, then it should be rated at 23,000 lbs GCVWR.

The best bet would be to weigh the truck at a public scale, to get an accurate figure for towing. Let's say the truck in it's normal configuration weighs 7500 lbs (2 people, tool box, golf clubs, trailer hitch, full fuel, etc), then 23,000 - 7500 would yield a "towing" capacity of 15,500 lbs.

The Golden Gate has a nominal Dry Weight of 12,500 lbs. Plus, you need to add in the weight of any additional options. Then food, clothing, other goodies. Maybe a couple of bikes, hiking gear, boots, "stuff" in the basement storage, like barbeque, extra propane tank, chairs, table, ladder, spare this 'n-that, and now your current weight sits around 14,500 lbs.

We haven't talked about water yet, but this is one item that can easily be managed. And, it should be, as with all tanks full, you would suddenly weigh 1500 lbs more. Right at the 16,000 lb "rating". But if your grey/black water tanks were flushed before travelling, you could still carry an almost full tank of fresh water, if you wanted (or needed).

But, I've been wrong before, so the safest thing would be to know your actual numbers.

Hope this helps...

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Grand Canyon

Hi Papaw
I have owned a Grand Canyon since Nov. of last lear, number 29. Have had some problems still trying to resolve a couple. All in all they are a well made fiver with better components than most of the other ones out there. I plan on seeing the factory in June. Good luck and let us know how things go wiht your rig.
P.S. I have heard that the Big Horns are made in a seperate facility. maybe the factory guys will answer that question for you.

Paul & Nan

New owners-almost

None We signed the purchase agreement today, April 30 on a Bighorn 3500-will take delivery next Friday-Have to wait to get a spray in bedliner done on the truck and have a day off work to pick it up. We will be towing with a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. Have owned numerous RV's over time. The last 3 digits on the VIN is 275.

Paul and Nancy Decatur, Illinois

DJGood

Hey Paul and Nan

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Bighorn. We pick ours up next Saturday, providing the dealer has it all prep in time. Our vin number is 452 according to our dealer, so they seem to be moving right along with their new builds.
Let us know how you like your new Bighorn.

Chris and Debi

Paul & Nan

Good Luck

We will be only one day ahed of you Chris and Debi-We will be taking our rig out for the weekend. Paul is taking Friday off work, I work 1-9 so will go to dealers 50 miles away for walk thru and paper work, then drive back for work. Paul will take unit to a local county park where I will meet him after work-then more work moving in. That will be fun though. We are really looking forward to the new 5th. Our last 5th was a Holiday Rambler in 92. We have had other RV's in the interim.

We did not order, it was on dealers lot, loved it immediatley, after rejecting many others due to poor craftmanship, to many $, etc. Let us know how you do with yours. Nancy

J

Jeff

Dealer?

Hi Paul & Nan:

What dealer did you get your Big Horn from?

Appreciate the info on the Forum.

Look forward to talking with you.

Happy Camping!

Jeff

jbeletti

Hi Paul and Nancy,

Congratulations on your Bighorn purchase and welcome to the Heartland family. Another Illinois Heartland owner - cool. We live in in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Jim

Paul & Nan

We got the Bighorn from Colemans Country Campers in Springfield, IL. They just had their grand opening two weeks ago. Very nice folks. They only had one Bighorn on the lot and we bought it. They had another come in on Friday and someone bought it while it was still hooked to the transport truck. Very popular items it seems.

Nancy