How many used to do it this way

Tombstonejim

Not sure how old this is looks like a state park some where. Not sure the good old days were so good.

Attachments

• thumb[11].jpg
    thumb[11].jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 224

sbuckman

Haha Oh my gosh, they all look so excited! But that was camping in luxury! We camped open air... no campers, no tents, just a bedrole and a pack and it was a blast!

Stacey

Tool958

Not sure how old this is looks like a state park some where. Not sure the good old days were so good.
That old Shasta is exactly the first camper my folks owned. We slept four in it. Needless to say, we didn't last very long with it after my brother and I got to fighting over sleeping space. LOL

StephenKatSea

My parents had the dark green, heavy canvas, "waterproof?" tent that was cold in the winter and hot as heck in the summer. We cooked on an open fire and later years a USFS fire pit and grill. Camp chairs were wood and canvas (seemed to break a lot). Taking "baths" under an ice cold faucet with a bar of soap that had sand & gravel in it. Toilets were the "real deal" 2 holer out houses. Dishes were washed and drinks were kept cold in the creek. No sun-screen, just dipped your t-shirt in the water. Coffee was perked over the fire with plenty of grounds poured into the cup. A canvas bag of water was hung on the front bumper of my Dad's old Buick. Water drank straight from that bag was always nice and cool. Later years brought "upscale" Coleman lanterns and stoves, white gas of course. Lantern mantles were lucky to last more than 1 night. AND . . . . . WE LOVED IT!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
My parents had the dark green, heavy canvas, "waterproof?" tent that was cold in the winter and hot as heck in the summer. We cooked on an open fire and later years a USFS fire pit and grill. Camp chairs were wood and canvas (seemed to break a lot). Taking "baths" under an ice cold faucet with a bar of soap that had sand & gravel in it. Toilets were the "real deal" 2 holer out houses. Dishes were washed and drinks were kept cold in the creek. No sun-screen, just dipped your t-shirt in the water. Coffee was perked over the fire with plenty of grounds poured into the cup. A canvas bag of water was hung on the front bumper of my Dad's old Buick. Water drank straight from that bag was always nice and cool. Later years brought "upscale" Coleman lanterns and stoves, white gas of course. Lantern mantles were lucky to last more than 1 night. AND . . . . . WE LOVED IT!

Sounds a lot like Elk camp last month!:cool:

Manzan

Back packing, Mother used to lead groups in the Olympic Mountains, car camping. Parents taught Family Camping at Olympic Jr. College when little brother came along (13 years younger) and my Mother designed a tent used when teaching the class. Very comfortable--was given to us when Daughter turned 5 on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, BC. She is still using it. Bought our Pop Up in '84 or '85 and first hard side in '89. Used it for 15 years then had a Trail Blazer for 7 and saw our North Trail at an RV show in February 2011. Took delivery March 1, 2011 and love it. Pulled it close to 10k and heading out Monday to play in the rain for a week on the Oregon Coast.
Lots of good memories, first backpacking trip was up in the Olympics when I was 9 years old.

jimtoo

I spent lots of time, days and nights on the beach at Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Tx., where I was raised and went through puberty. We just slept on the beach or where ever. Never had tent or anything like that,, just roughed it. About the only thing we had was a towel, (if lucky),,matches and cigarettes,,,and maybe a beer or two. Could gather up a little wood for a fire that was dry and just kick back on the sand or in the dunes. This was before I met future DW.

My first on the road camping in a tent was in 1957. Went with future wife and her parents from So. Texas to New Mex,, Colorado, Utah.. Az, North and South rims Grand Canyon and back to Texas. I think we were on the road 21 days, camped in tent 18 nights and it rained 16 or 17. Had to hot wire the 57 Ford up on top of Mesa Verde National Park... Future FIL left keys in pants after shower and clothes change, and tossed in trunk and closed it,,, just before we were to depart,,. extra keys to car were in safe place also... in future MIL"s purse,,,, in the trunk. We went down to Durango, Co and spent the night in a room to rent,,now called bed and breakfast,,, had to sleep in same bed with future FIL,,,,AND THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN,, This was before it was OK to sleep with your future wife before you were married. Borrowed some tools and from inside rear seat area removed trunk hinges to fish out pants with keys...

All in all,,, a really great trip,,, with lots of good memories.

Jimtoo

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Back when I first started camping, those were the rich folks that had real campers! We had the old heavy canvas tents, cramming mom, dad and all four of us boys in one - just enough room to sleep! Dad had the water bag hanging on the truck mirror, like has been mentioned. I can still smell the breakfast cooking in the cast iron skillet on the fire!

Traveling to and from, dad had a Datsun pickup with a camper shell and the 3 oldest of us boys would ride in the back and our little brother would sit on the armrest in front. If (When) we needed to communicate with our parents, we had a set of those military bag phones that you turned the crank to ring the other party. Mom kept hers at her feet.

We camped all around the US and with Dad in the Army, we did the same in Germany, Italy, Austria and Switzerland! Great times!

Fast forward to when we were raising our girls...we started out the same way, same type of camping gear! Great experiences but I wouldn't want to go back - I am blessed to have the Cyclone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

Memories that will last a lifetime. My grandparents had a 64 16' Cardinal. I travelled with them a lot, but we rarely stayed in state or national parks. A lot of our camping was while fishing along the Rio Grande on the Texas border. We hit the Big Bend back country on a regular basis, as well as Black Gap, Lajitas, and about every place going toward Presidio. Much of this country is now Big Bend Ranch State Park. Lajitas was merely a trading post and hadn't been discovered by the developers yet. There was a shelled out rock house sitting on the bank of the Rio Grande that we used for a staging area. We also use to camp at Devil's Lake. It was on the Devil's River near Del Rio, and is now covered over by Lake Amistad. You can still see the small dam with a fish finder. It was truly a desert oasis. There were usually 4 - 5 campers in our group, friends and family. They got those campers into places that we could never imagine taking most of our rigs these days. Things were a lot more simple back then and we were more easily entertained.