How much Negotiation should I do off the MSRP.

I'm about ready to go into the dealer tomorrow and purchase a Wilderness TT. I know what trailer I want to purchase. It is marked 20% off MSRP. How much Negotiation should I do off the MSRP.

danemayer

Hi aztrailerguy,

I think the last time this came up, several people were suggestings 30% discount would be reasonable. One of the difficulties is that none of us knows how much negotiating room the dealer has on each type of rig. I think on the higher-end 5th wheels, some of the options have big markups so there might be more negotiating room on larger trailers with a lot of options.

You might want to visit a couple of online sellers like RV Capital Wholesalers. You can shop their site for the exact model/options you want and request a quote. You'll probably have it later today or tomorrow morning. They have pretty aggressive pricing, so you can get an idea of what's possible.

Remember that the internet quote won't include your local tax or the delivery charges.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I would try for 30% or 35% and go from there. Keep in mind transportation cost needs to be added to whatever discount you end up getting. You might try getting a quote from one of the internet wholesalers and use that as a basis ( and again add transportation cost, unless you are willing to drive to the wholesaler and pick it up yourself / about $1.50 per mile from Elkhart, Indiana to your dealer). Of course it's always supply and demand, so good luck!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
70 percent give or take is what I offered the dealer in Gillette last June at the rally and they jumped right on it. First offer. I wish I would have started lower.

tmcran

I'm sure with the economic situation and high fuel prices any dealer would love to give ya 20%. I'm more stating at 40% and stop about 35% . Good suggestions of checking on line for prices. Good luck.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
When I was guiding in the back country occasionally a client would ask how much he/she should tip. My response was always the same... "reach into your pocket and keep taking out money until it hurts...then take a little bit more and that should be about right"

I think when buying the approach should be the same in reverse. In other words keep discounting until it hurts,then take off a little bit more.

macjj

Just my 2 cents worth. I attempted that negotiation and the wife was not satisfied (to be honest I was not also) - too much stress. I went back to the Internet (as noted previously addressed) and found through RV Trader a dealer in Virginia that listed 30 percent less than MSRP. We live in California. After calling and discussing with the Wife, we elected a $2k investment in going back to review and subsequent driving back with the truck would be well worth a $20K savings. RV outlet USA was great and was everything they said they were. They did no major upgrades, this was as is - but it was exactly what we were interested in. Your call, but consider the Return on Investment when deciding to reach beyond your area to get what you want. Warranty dealers are everywhere - you do not have to go back to the original dealer (which may not be the best - case in point La Mesa RV in San Diego).

Well maybe 3 cents

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Try rvstobuy.com and check what he's got. The owner's name is Dave and he is noted for selling at 30% plus off of msrp. He is located in North Arkansas. He does sell all over the US and some in Canada. Great guy to deal with. Worth checking out.

FiremanBill

Just my 2 cents worth. I attempted that negotiation and the wife was not satisfied (to be honest I was not also) - too much stress. I went back to the Internet (as noted previously addressed) and found through RV Trader a dealer in Virginia that listed 30 percent less than MSRP. We live in California. After calling and discussing with the Wife, we elected a $2k investment in going back to review and subsequent driving back with the truck would be well worth a $20K savings. RV outlet USA was great and was everything they said they were. They did no major upgrades, this was as is - but it was exactly what we were interested in. Your call, but consider the Return on Investment when deciding to reach beyond your area to get what you want. Warranty dealers are everywhere - you do not have to go back to the original dealer (which may not be the best - case in point La Mesa RV in San Diego).

Well maybe 3 cents

Ditto! That's where we got ours and it was without a doubt the best deal we could find anywhere and just like you, they did exactly as they said they would, no surprises and the deal was as smooth and painless as it could be. They even went so far as to still give us what we agreed on for our trade, sight unseen, even though we had a small incident on the way over that tore off the brackets for the rear leg of our awning and bent the main support as well as punching a hole in the side of the trailer. When I got there I showed it to him right away, told him what happened and he said no problem. Deal went down as planned anyway. Gave us more on aur trade than anyone else and had a substantially lower price than anyone else either!

Very happy with our purchase from RVoutlet, rv007.com

and here I though our 3 hour drive was a long way to go! LOL

scottyb

Try Holman Motors in Elkhart, IN. They had some outstanding internet prices and also have a A+ BBB rating. I took theirs and another internet dealer's quote to my local dealer and he met their price after shipping. This was about 5K less than their initial offer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Here's something to ponder and I have not seen on this thread yet. HL has their MSRP and dealers put up their own. Dealers are normally 25-30% over what HL says it should be. Look in the WIKI and see if there is a HL MSRP for the coach you are looking at. Download it, then build the coach on paper with all the options. That way you know what the dealer is asking over HL's price. Then go even lower than HL's price. Note, there is not a MSRP sticker on any coach like on new cars. Its what the dealer makes up and they are not regulated as to what they can ask for.

Go to SeeDealerCost.com

This website will tell you the invoice prices of most RV's based on zipcode.

I let my dealership make $5,000.00 off of me. I thought that was a reasonable and fare amount. I want a great price, but at the same time I don't want to be taken to the cleaners. I also want the dealership to be around for service, parts and for when I do an upgrade.

fcbella

My husband and I are considering buying our first trailer.. the MPG 182. Being in Ontario, there aren't as many for sale as there are in the US. We don't quite know where to start when offering lower than their asking price as I'm sure they may have paid taxes/duty when bringing the trailer into Ontario.

Should we consider the additional fee's the dealer may have had to pay when purchasing the trailer, or offer appx. 10-20% off their asking price?

Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi fcbella,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully soon to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers soon and I do know there are some added taxes or duties added when bringing a unit into Canada. My offer would be to include all taxes and fees, bottom line.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Theresau

We have a new one on order and just sold our current. Our current experience is that the "internet" dealers give the best price at the start and you can typically negotiate from there. There are websites that you can select your options for a price off MSRP.

But it has to be recognized that there are limitations to this type of order...purchase. Firstly, they don't typically provide a good trade price - they deal with low prices and that is the same for their used units. I ran into some that don't take trades at all. Secondly, you may have to pick up the unit yourself.

We took the risk with a low trade price but were able to get a "decent" private sale price so overall we got a good deal because it was still considerably above the trade (but lower than NADA). In a case like this you need to be prepared to take the lower price so that you can sell and recognize the great deal you got on your new unit more than offsets this...

We have always gotten much nore than 10-20% off MSRP. I strongly suggest you shop around the internet.

Regards,
Theresa

Best of luck.

Gaffer

I am not WIKI savy. I looked around there and even did a search for"MSRP" with no luck. Is it really there? If so, how do you get there?
Here's something to ponder and I have not seen on this thread yet. HL has their MSRP and dealers put up their own. Dealers are normally 25-30% over what HL says it should be. Look in the WIKI and see if there is a HL MSRP for the coach you are looking at. Download it, then build the coach on paper with all the options. That way you know what the dealer is asking over HL's price. Then go even lower than HL's price. Note, there is not a MSRP sticker on any coach like on new cars. Its what the dealer makes up and they are not regulated as to what they can ask for.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
PJ, there are some MSRP listed or posted on the forum for HL brands. When all else fails, call HL and ask for the brand mananger for that coach and ask them to email you one. You can build a coach from there and that is what HL says it should sell for. Then discount that 25-30%.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not WIKI savy. I looked around there and even did a search for"MSRP" with no luck. Is it really there? If so, how do you get there?
Ok, here is the path to the MSRP for Bighorn. Others, if available will be in a similar path for that brand.
Click on 'Forum' at the top of the page.
Then click on 'Heartland Brand Communities'.
Find your brand, in this case click on 'Bighorn Community'.
Finally click on 'Bighorn Prospective - Owners'.
You will find a post with the MSRP there.

Peace
Dave