How Strong Is Your Truck Frame

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Re: How Strong Is Your Frame

owning a Ford I would like to hear Ford response, I think that would be interesting

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
IMO I'd rather not have a boxed frame and feel the Ford engineers know what they're doing with safety in mind.
I live where if snows and roads are treated with salts and corrosives. Plus our cabin is a dozen miles back dirt roads that often are muddy roads. Several times a year I'm under my truck flushing the frame rails etc removing debris. In my travel environment I'm guessing that a boxed frame would only facilitate corrosion of the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

The design criteria for things like trucks, cars, bicycles is to have as stiff a frame as possible and provide flex in the suspension. This gives greater contril in design and maximum performance. Performance being load carrying, towing, cornering,, or speed. In all manufactured products there are many significant compromises and many ways to come to the required overall performance. None of these companies will spend money like a F1 designer will.

porthole

Retired

Video is just a new version of the one a few years ago showing the Ford's tailgate crumpling once up on the ramp.

I'm sure some flex is good and to much is bad and somewhere in between those two extremes you have Ford, GM and Ram, each with their own concept of what is best.

I experience the flex with my F-350 every time I park on the side of my driveway, one side on concrete, one side 4" lower on dirt - and I can't open my tailgate.
Doesn't bother me to much, I'm well aware of it and make accommodations for it. Don't know how the current Rams are, but back in the day when I was dealer "A" tech, the Dodge's rode mush harsher then the Fords.

That said, the 2017 Super Duty apparently addresses this internet issue and fully boxes the frame sand increases rigidity.

caissiel

After reinforcing my wimpy 5th wheel front frame, and installed my 5th wheel hitch, I have no doubt that my truck frame is much stronger then my unit. It even assured me that the trailer frame will fall apart in an accident.