How to remove AC duct covers in the ceiling

This is probably a dumb question but I need to remove the AC register covers (round covers with vent fins) in the ceiling and can't figure out how to get them off without breaking them. Some genius at the factory left pieces of styrofoam in the duct work nd it is blocking the airflow out of two of the vents.

Dumb question number 2: I read about Timk's diverter. Since I already keep the vent on the AC closed so no air is coming out of the unit, how will this mod increase the flow of air into the ducts? This comes from a nurse who knows almost nothing about HVAC related issues so humor me please.
Thanks,
Carol :confused:

Snow

Carol you should be able to just pull the vents straight down and out that's how mine comes out and they may be the same .as far as the Timsks mod I did it and it helped a little ,the way it works is you now have all square corners when you do this mod it makes the air flow better ,think of it like drawing blood from a patient it flows through the round hose good if that hose was square the blood wouldn't flow as good , I guess ? Good luck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
This is probably a dumb question but I need to remove the AC register covers (round covers with vent fins) in the ceiling and can't figure out how to get them off without breaking them. Some genius at the factory left pieces of styrofoam in the duct work nd it is blocking the airflow out of two of the vents.

Dumb question number 2: I read about Timk's diverter. Since I already keep the vent on the AC closed so no air is coming out of the unit, how will this mod increase the flow of air into the ducts? This comes from a nurse who knows almost nothing about HVAC related issues so humor me please.
Thanks,
Carol :confused:

We replaced ours with adjustable vents in the hallway and bedroom. The vents are two pieces with a inside piece that just pulls out with enough force. The outside piece is screwed in and does not need to be removed. Our new vents popped right into the outside piece.

We also removed a lot of saw dust and foam so it is a good thing to open each one and make sure everything is clear.