How to Stop Dirt Getting into Floor Vents

rxbristol

After replacing my flooring I wanted to upgrade the floor registers, but after looking at all the fancy ones I decided on a plain floor register which have internal vents that close off. This prevents dirt from getting into the tubes and looks better during the warmer months. Here's an Amazon link, but Lowes and Home Depot both have these registers. I did not screw these into the floor--they sit nicely by themselves, but if someone wanted to prevent any movement I thought Blue Tac might work if they didn't want to drill holes for screws.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 81++34ITbhL._SL1500_.jpg
    81++34ITbhL._SL1500_.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 365

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced all of ours with the same type of registers in late 2009. Not because of dirt but to better direct the warm air. The bedroom was like a sauna and the living room a meat locker. Contrary to the nervous nancy's, my furnace continues to function just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

We use a magnetic vinyl strip the width of the vent, I picked them up in the hardware/paint section of Walmart many years ago. We drop them on the vents when we are not using them and take them off when we need to or even partially cover the vent. Place and the cost was minimal.

Crumgater

We also have some of the magnetic covers... we use one 100% of the time on the vent in the bathroom.
Who thought a vent on the floor right next to the toilet was a good idea???

At home, we have some vent filters to help keep dust and pet hair out of the ducts... but if you don't change them regularly, they will start to block flow, which isn't good.