Husky 26K Slide Hitch

Hi everybody! I am brand new to the ownership world, but, veteran of friends' 5th wheels. I just purchased a 2017 Cyclone 3611 to be pulled by my 2015 Sierra 2500 HD Diesel - standard bed (17K GVWR for 5th wheels). The dealership recommended a Husky 26K Slide Hitch. I was leaning towards a Pullrite or Reese, but, they said those were "overpriced" and "overkill". Installation is to take place a week from tomorrow. Any and all constructive input is welcomed.

danemayer

Hi shramahaun,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I don't have any hitch advice, but I'd suggest you revisit the truck. The Cyclone 3611 has a GVWR of 17,000 and an empty pin weight of 3,485. Add to your pin weight the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets passengers and anything else in the truck. You'll probably be way, way over the truck's payload spec, and you're probably also way over the 5th wheel towing capacity.

I'd suggest you visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing and figure out exactly how the capabilities of your exact truck match up with the trailer.

jnbhobe

With a short bed I would have a Super-Glide. But I question weather you have enough truck.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I am with Dan.....Research your numbers very carefully!!!! It is my opinion also that you are way over for the truck you have!!!!
The dealer will tell you anything to sell you an RV...Yes your truck will pull it, but may not be enough to stop it in an emergency...
Remember....while you may never need to worry about an accident, should someone blow a stop sign and T-bone you....if they weigh
your truck and you are over weight...guess what....you are a contributing factor, as being over weight was a contributing cause!!!
If you have great insurance and all your assets in a trust, that would be a good thing...otherwise....someone else could own your life.

This is exactly what my concern was to begin with. I showed the dealer the calculated numbers and the service manager said it would be ok with airbags. Airbags are scheduled to be installed as well.

Doublegranch

FYI: Airbags will "NOT" change or increase your Truck's capacity for towing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will make your experience more acceptable....but you still have the "legal Obligation" for being over weight.

Abear79

Talk to a tech. Don't believe a service manager. Don't get me wrong some are very smart, but I worked in shops before where the service manager made unreal promises. Then the customer was mad at the tech. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

danemayer

There are possible safety issues along with possible excess wear and tear on the truck. On level, dry pavement you may not have any problems. But in adverse conditions, the situation may be completely different. High crosswinds may a significant issue. The overload on the rear axle could lead to excess wear. You should check the load capacity of the tires to see if you'll be overloading them.

Airbags will help you keep the bed level, but won't fix the underlying problems.

I just called the owner and said to kill the sale! I am very appreciative of all of your individual and collective insights! I should have trusted my gut instincts AND the calculations (for which I showed the service manager, sales manager, sales rep, and owner).

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
There are possible safety issues along with possible excess wear and tear on the truck. On level, dry pavement you may not have any problems. But in adverse conditions, the situation may be completely different. High crosswinds may a significant issue. The overload on the rear axle could lead to excess wear. You should check the load capacity of the tires to see if you'll be overloading them.

Airbags will help you keep the bed level, but won't fix the underlying problems.

Shramahaun,
There has been great info given to you concerning this situation. It's a shame that the dealer/service manager has lead you astray (are they that desperate to sell a rig that they are willing to give you dangerous advice?!).
Safety is paramount.

Doublegranch

What is the amount of weight you can carry in the bed for your truck?, then add the Cyclone pin wt, hitch, passengers, fuel, etc...that is generally where you are over wt, look at the total you are putting inside your truck bed!

There won't be any roof in the bed once the trailer is locked in. Everything will be inside the trailer. Passenger weight inside the truck will max out at 500 for very few trips, 375 more common.

- - - Updated - - -

Room in my bed, not roof.

Doublegranch

you still need to figure out all the weights to be sure! What is the 2500 bed weight limit? What is the Cyclone pin wt? What is the hitch wt? Fuel tank wt, add the passenger wt, that will give you an idea, but won't help you with all the extra weight you will add to the trailer that may add additional weight to the pin....Only you can do the numbers and if you feel good, it's your decision....Good luck!

Squirlee

I have a Pullrite Superglide and I am happy. Whether it is actually necessary is another question. However, my cousin and her husband have the exact same truck as mine and ended up popping out their back window and have since purchased an autoslide.

As for weight, I am skeptical that a 2500 will be sufficient for the trailer (as many have already said).

FIRST THING - get the exact specs for your truck (you need to know how much pin weight you can put on the truck and what the max trailer weight your truck is capable of pulling). There are some online resources that can dig this information up using your VIN.

As for someone at a dealership telling you it's ok, we used to have an F150 and a dealer was ready and willing to hook us up to a 35 foot 5th wheel that grossed way over my trucks specs. They also said airbags would fix everything.

- - - Updated - - -

I just pulled the specs for the trailer you bought. The gross weight of that trailer is at the max for my RAM 3500 SRW.

Sleeps

7​
Slides
3​
Hitch Weight
3485 lbs.​
Ship Weight
15305 lbs.​
GVWR
17000 lbs​
Length
39' 2"​
Height
13' 3"​
Width
8' 5"​
Fresh Water
100 gal​
Gray Water
40 gal​
Black Water
80 gal​

Last edited:

danemayer

Ok. Now I'm really confused. Using the 5th St. calculator, and using my truck's GVW (not trailer GVWR), I am ok.
Truck manufacturer specs can vary quite a bit, even across their own publications. The max 5th wheel towing capacity, Gross Compound Weight Rating, and payload specs can be quite different depending on how the truck is actually configured. Often the specs shown are best case, and unrelated to your truck.

The truck manufacturer's towing spec often shows the same number for a 2500 as for a 3500, based primarily on the engine and rear axle ratio. So it's possible your truck has a max 5th wheel tow rating of 17,400 or thereabouts. But all that starts to fall apart when payload is considered. The Gross Vehicle Compound Weight Rating (max of truck and trailer weights put together) is often lowered on the 2500s because the payload has to be considered. Fifth Wheel Safe Towing's calculator also takes payload into account and reduces the towing capacity to keep the payload at a safe level.

Some 2500s now have pretty good payload specs compared to vehicles from just a few years ago. The label inside the driver's door should tell you the payload spec on your actual truck. You can compare that to the weight you'll likely be carrying. For planning purposes, you should assume 20% of the trailer's GVWR will rest on the hitch- about 3,500 lbs. Add your 500 lbs of passengers and assume 200 lbs for the hitch, and before putting anything else in the truck, you'll be around 4,200 lbs payload. Some 2500s will have a payload spec of around 2,700 lbs. Others could approach 4,000 lbs. Your spec is on the label.

One and all, thank you!!!! With all of your valuable opinions, plus confirmation from both Heartland and GM, this is a No Go! Danger, Will Robinson!

Miltp920

shramahaun, I am currently selling a lightly used 2014 Cyclone 3100 (upgrading to a Landmark). My Cyclone has the generator up front. I have put it on the CAT scale. I have 3280 pin weight. 12520 on the axles. Total 15800. The dry ship yellow sticker in the entry door says 12388. These numbers will be pretty close on a 3010 if it has a generator up front. I was hauling a golf cart in the garage (which is also for sale). My point is it is pretty easy to get one of these units right up to max weight. I now have a 3500 DRW, but I was challenging my 2003 2500HD SRW. I added the air bags to the 2500, but the real fix was buying a new truck with better tow specs. I am glad you did more research before you bought. Hope you find the right 5er for your truck.

Thank you, miltp920! I have decided to look into either the Gateway 3650BH, Sundance 3600QB, or Sundance 3300CK. We want a bunkhouse for the purpose of our 2 1/2 y.o. son and possibly another child in the near future. We want a Heartland based on the research of the 5er manufacturers.