I-70 and the Eisenhower tunnel

TXTiger

I am heading from Nebraska to Calif via Denver and Las Vegas taking I-70 to I-15. Will I encounter any problems on this route with a Cyclone especially at the Eisenhower tunnel due to height?

happykraut

The clearance is 13.92 feet. There is an alternate route that takes you over a 12,000 foot mountain pass.

danemayer

We go through the Eisenhower Tunnel several times per year with our 13'1" Landmark. The tunnel is actually pretty high, but the light fixtures are the low points. The fixtures were raised a few years ago to let tractor trailers take the tunnel, but some of the documentation about the tunnel never got updated. I think Bernie's correct that it's close to 14' now.

Tony, there's construction on I-70 to widen the tunnels. If you get there when they're blasting, you could have a fairly long delay. Stay up to date with http://www.cotrip.org

Last edited:

olcoon

Tony, I haven't taken the 5er through there heading west, but east bound is a piece of cake. Going West, it's quite a long steep pull up the hill, but you'll be able to make it. The Glenwood Canyon it beautiful & awe inspiring. Also Doc Holliday is buried in Glenwood Springs, they just don't know exactly where in the cemetery!!! If you are taking I-70 on to CA, stop in Palisade, CO, just E. of Grand Junction they have some AWESOME peaches. There is a stand just off the interstate where we've bought them. Also they have some awesome peach salsa.

TXTiger

Thanks all for your replies. No problem on my route today. They were setting up to blast but hadn't started yet. Buffalo Bill Cody's gravesite is also on the I-70 but I didn't have time to stop. Toured Bills house in North Platte yesterday.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
West-bound I-70 up the hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel is a truck killer . . .

I blew out my catalytic converter going up that climb . . .

Anyone going that route . . . take it slow and easy!

choprpilot76

You know I-70 between Denver and the I-15 Junction has always been my favorite Interstate to travel, When I was stationed in Colorado Springs I would drive it to go home on leave to southern California. After reading how low the clearance is through the tunnel, I don't have a warm and fuzzy about taken my new Cyclone 4100 through there. I have yet to measure the actual height, but I can tell you, even if the listed height is true (13'3") I am going to be close. My dually has a small lift on it with 35" tires, all in all my rear end is approximately 4.5" hight than stock, plus my Max Air vent covers. I will have to measure the exact height I am dealing with, but just on the known variables I should be looking at just over an inch of clearance left over (less than an inch and a half). This would be a big bummer, I LOVE that stretch of highway.

danemayer

You know I-70 between Denver and the I-15 Junction has always been my favorite Interstate to travel, When I was stationed in Colorado Springs I would drive it to go home on leave to southern California. After reading how low the clearance is through the tunnel, I don't have a warm and fuzzy about taken my new Cyclone 4100 through there. I have yet to measure the actual height, but I can tell you, even if the listed height is true (13'3") I am going to be close. My dually has a small lift on it with 35" tires, all in all my rear end is approximately 4.5" hight than stock, plus my Max Air vent covers. I will have to measure the exact height I am dealing with, but just on the known variables I should be looking at just over an inch of clearance left over (less than an inch and a half). This would be a big bummer, I LOVE that stretch of highway.

The Eisenhower tunnel height is 13'11", and actually that's the height of the lighted signs inside the tunnel. At one time it was 13'6" and many trucks had to take Route 6. The signs were replaced with lower profile gear to provide the extra few inches that would accommodate most trucks.

Here's a link to CDOT.

FlyerChief

I think it used to have a set of over-height sensors on both approaches that would flash lights and make a warning sound for trucks that were too tall. The link doesn't mention it. Is it gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

I think the sensors are still there. But I think they're only a few feet from the tunnel entrance. Not sure how much time/distance you'd have before hitting something.