I-70 thru KC?

Sniper

We are heading West via I-70 and should hit KC at around 7:00 pm or so on Saturday. I haven't been thru KC since 1983. Should I take I-70 to I 670 to I-70 and go straight thru or go around via I-470/I-435? Thanks. :)

dlw930

We are heading West via I-70 and should hit KC at around 7:00 pm or so on Saturday. I haven't been thru KC since 1983. Should I take I-70 to I 670 to I-70 and go straight thru or go around via I-470/I-435? Thanks. :)

We went straight through about mid-day on a Sat or Sun this past May with no problem. At 7pm Sat, you should have no problem. Seems like there's always road construction around downtown KC, so be alert for lane closures, shifts, etc. Someone who lives in the area, such as Olcoon, might have more specific/current info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

First off, I'll say that we live in the suburbs, North of Kansas City, and don't think I've traveled either route the entire length, just protons of both. If we are going either East or West, we'll get on I-435 to I-70, but that will be way off route for you.

I'd say that either I-670 or 470 would work, but 670 would probably be shorter. That time of night there "shouldn't" be that much traffic no matter which way you go. Unless you catch traffic from from the KC Royals game. Royal's Stadium is on the East side of KC, in the I-435 (just East of it) . They do have a game starting at 6:15 pm Saturday. If you come in earlier than 7:00 you may get caught in a MESS. By 7:00 though it "should" have settled down. Also, if you choose to continue on I-70 again the traffic shouldn't be too bad, but once you get into the downtown area you really need to watch the signs, or listen to your GPS. It can get pretty confusing quick!

Should you decide you want to spend the night there is a decent Good Sam's park in Grain Valley, East of KC, here is a LINK. We just drove through there a few days ago, checking it out in case someone was interested. It's a little tight, but for an overnight it wouldn't be bad. It's just off I-70, with fairly easy access on & off. Also, there we have construction going on in different areas, here is a LINK for MDOT, with construction zones.

Hope this helps, I'll PM you my phone # in case you have questions, or anything.

Roy

Sniper

First off, I'll say that we live in the suburbs, North of Kansas City, and don't think I've traveled either route the entire length, just protons of both. If we are going either East or West, we'll get on I-435 to I-70, but that will be way off route for you.

I'd say that either I-670 or 470 would work, but 670 would probably be shorter. That time of night there "shouldn't" be that much traffic no matter which way you go. Unless you catch traffic from from the KC Royals game. Royal's Stadium is on the East side of KC, in the I-435 (just East of it) . They do have a game starting at 6:15 pm Saturday. If you come in earlier than 7:00 you may get caught in a MESS. By 7:00 though it "should" have settled down. Also, if you choose to continue on I-70 again the traffic shouldn't be too bad, but once you get into the downtown area you really need to watch the signs, or listen to your GPS. It can get pretty confusing quick!

Should you decide you want to spend the night there is a decent Good Sam's park in Grain Valley, East of KC, here is a LINK. We just drove through there a few days ago, checking it out in case someone was interested. It's a little tight, but for an overnight it wouldn't be bad. It's just off I-70, with fairly easy access on & off. Also, there we have construction going on in different areas, here is a LINK for MDOT, with construction zones.

Hope this helps, I'll PM you my phone # in case you have questions, or anything.

Roy
Thank you very much! If we get there before 5pm or so we'll just take 470 to 435 and on around. We are shooting for the rest area at Paxico for a few hours of shut eye. Really appreciate it and I'll write your number down. Thanks again. :)

Kbvols

Thank you very much! If we get there before 5pm or so we'll just take 470 to 435 and on around. We are shooting for the rest area at Paxico for a few hours of shut eye. Really appreciate it and I'll write your number down. Thanks again. :)

Steve where are you all heading to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

olcoon

When you go through Topeka, KS, there is an I-470 that goes around the downtown area. I've always stayed on I-70, saves some miles and time. Topeka can be busy at times mainly rush hour, but at the time of day you'll be going through there you shouldn't have any problem.