I got reminded of a lesson I learned along time ago.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I haven't been in the cab of my backhoe since before we left for Gillette. I went out this morning and jumped right in along with the nest of Yellow Jacket Hornets.

Three hits to the face, two on my nose!

I'll remember to look next time. I have been in my recliner most of the day thinking about the time I done this when I was around 9 years old. I guess I needed a refresher course in them little devils.

Life on the farm, gotta love it.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Reminds me of the time when I was 9 years old that I took the top off of a beehive to show my little brother what the inside of the hive looked like. By the time I got home both my eyes had swollen shut. Haven't done that again.

Have a couple of tasty beverages to ease the pain!

jimtoo

Been there,, done that. I was 9 and found one in the garage, shed out back... used my "sling shot" (was called something else then) to shoot it down... got about 9 stings or so on my face.. eyes swelled shut,, face swelled up.. we left for a long planed vacation the next day to Hot Springs, Arkansas.. did not see anything for the first 2 days or so. So.. learned my lesson also.

Jim M

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I'm seeing a trend with 9 year old boys and bees/hives...hmmmm Sounds like trouble to me!

pegmikef

I think this is a rather large club . . . my last time was when I reached over my head to attach decorative lights to my boat lift. Who would have thought that yellow jackets would build a nest in the C channel roof support rail? . . . . yet another painful lesson.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My last time was at a nice RV park. Who knew that yellow jackets would build their nest under a picnic table. I grabbed one end and my two older grandsons grabbed the other. My end was where the nest was, and I was the one that they came after. I didn't know those boys could run that fast! I've heard that bees can fly faster than a John Deere but not two grandsons!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I know it's not really funny (OK - maybe a little), but I am literally rolling on the floor laughing my A-- off right now. (by the way - been there, done that. Official club member)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've only been stung once, in the thigh through my pant leg, by a wasp that flew into my car while I was stopped at traffic light. Almost rolled through the intersection trying to swat it before it nailed me again. Hurt like **** and my upper thigh had a nice red blush to it for a couple of days.

But yellow jackets will build a nest in just about any dark, secluded place. Even inside a bush. Found a nest in one of our miniature pine trees in front of the garage the size of a cantaloupe. Took 1/2 can of spray to deal with them buggers. They get in under the deck railing, inside the louver gable vent on the garage (not past the inner screen, though), and recently were found in one of the bathroom exhaust vent ducts. The outer cover needed replacing and the siding guy doing it started yelling and swatting as he ran for the ladder. Gave him my can of spray and that was the end of that nest.

JJOren

Well, Rex, there is an upside to all of this. They were yellow jackets and NOT Bumble Bee's!!!! Always seemed to hit at least one Bumble Bee nest a year mowing Hay when I was a kid! And yes, they can out run a JOHN DEERE....LOL

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well, Rex, there is an upside to all of this. They were yellow jackets and NOT Bumble Bee's!!!! Always seemed to hit at least one Bumble Bee nest a year mowing Hay when I was a kid! And yes, they can out run a JOHN DEERE....LOL

Man, I've been there too. We had a cab tractor to run the rotary mower and one to run the baler but the rake tractor was a open cab 930 Case. My dad worked days at a glass plant and would get home around 3 p.m. We had a system of I would lay down hay all day as soon as the dew was off, he would come home and start raking and I would come back behind him with the baler. We did approx 40- 60 acres a day like this. Well, I hit a nest of bumble bees (cab tractor no big deal) but didn't catch him to tell him. Now when I plowed thru them it was a cloud that came from out of the curtain of the mower. I seen him on that open tractor swing his hat around like a mad man. He never got a bite. He said all those bees just hit the exhaust stack and died. I guess they just went for the heat.

Peteandsharon

Man, I'm getting a chill just reading this thread. For whatever reason, I have grown up with a genuine phobia of wasps and hornets. Things like honey bees don't mean a thing to me but I'll take off like a school girl if a wasp makes an appearance. Not sure why. I've only been stung a couple of times. Once was when I stepped on a mud dauber with bare feet. Felt that sucker all the way up to my hip. Another time I drove my riding lawn mower over an inground yellow jacket nest. But I distinctly remember summers when I was growing up when I would try to figure out how to stay inside all summer just to avoid those boogers. If we get one inside I sit there and sweat (or leave the room) while Sharon takes care of it. Of course she used to tease me about that until I reminded her what happens if a mouse gets inside. Then the tables get turned. She would rather have a rattlesnake inside than a mouse.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Boy they are bad this year, I just found a nest in my smoker. None got me this time but I just fired it up....Got a little surprise for them :mad: Smoked yellow jacket for Independence Day.

mallard29s

A few years ago our Inquisitive ****zu-Miniature Poodle mix found a yellow jacket nest on our site next to the lake. They were attacking her so, I grabbed her and threw her in the lake! :eek: My wife yelled at me, but it got rid of the bees!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Peteandsharon

I do agree that it seems to be a bad year for them this year. Maybe the heat. Speaking of those little stinging monsters, for a little entertainment value I thought I'd throw this link out there. Without a question one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in all my years. Almost made me throw up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDWMLpKmRQw

pegmikef

Well Rex, I guess I owe you one. I went down and uncovered my boat so I could run up the engine and install the lights to get it ready to go out tonight to watch the fireworks. And yes, of course there was a yellow jacket nest just under the cover on the engine. It is about a fifty-fifty chance that there will be one, but thanks to this thread you started, I was very cautious lifting the cover and I was armed with terminator wasp/hornet sprayer killer. Normally, I never think about it until they are chasing me. Thanks, Mike

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
and recently were found in one of the bathroom exhaust vent ducts.
A week ago the vent fan in the bathroom died. I changed the fan but still didn't move much air.
Today I noticed the little buggers going in and out the outlet outside.
After dark I will turn on the fan and send them a good dusting of Chlordane.
Hasta La Vista baby!

Peace
Dave