I made a mess.. Is there a way to drain the oil that came out from under the generator?

myla296

image.jpg1_zpsz3xmfqzy.jpgLong story short:. Petcock would not turn the whole way, so I removed it to take out the oil, but could only direct so much of it toward the hole. A friend told me to use degreaser and water but, is there a way to drain the area under the generator?. Thanks in advance for any help! (This is my fifth thread or so about this Rv...I feel like such a problem child ;)

(Btw, I have now cleaned the petcock and it rates much better now)

myla296

I'd drop the front end down if it won't drain.
that's a start :)

oil dry,cat litter to soak up the oil then use a de-greaser like simple green.
cat litter is a good idea to get the initial stuff :)

If you're having a problem with the petcock draining the oil without making a mess consider using an oil change pump where you go down the dipstick and pump it out. I use one of these to change the oil on my boat and it works great. The hand pump works best, I've never had much success with the 12V version.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oil-Change-Pump-Kit/11071257
I think it will be okay next time since I did get the valve operating. But, this is good to know since the guy who advised me to remove the petcock indicated that the oil could not be siphoned out, and he works on RVs so...I won't mention this to him and just use it behind his back. ;)

HornedToad

The RV guy might be right... the siphon pump is only going to work if you can slide the tube down the oil fill into the reservoir. It slides down the dipstick into the bottom of the oil pan and gets all the oil out of the inboard boat motor. I've never tried it on the genny.