I Must Have Missed A Step

Greengas

First, Happy Thanksgiveahkkah to the Heartland Family. I hope each of you are enjoying a great, relaxing day. Now for my question. Today we went to where our trailer is spending the winter to open it back up, de-winterize it, and get it ready for us to spend a few days in it. Before we left we had pumped in the pink stuff until it was coming out all faucets. We emptied the hot water heater and the fresh water tank and grey tanks and black tank. Then we put some more pink stuff in every drain and left some sitting in the toilet to keep the seal from freezing. So far, so good. Today, I hooked up the fresh water hose, made sure it was flowing fine and the pressure regulator was working good. First, with the heater by pass in the by pass position, I let the city water in with the 4 way valve set to work the city water. That allowed me to clear the pink stuff from all the cold water lines. Again, so far so good. When that was all done, I set the hot water heater by pass to normal and filled the hot water tank. Again, so far, so good. (Oh, I forgot to mention, as soon as we got to the trailer I turned on the propane and the yeti package) Next, I figured it was time to put water in the fresh tank (we use the fresh tank, especially at night so I don't have to have a heated hose). So, I turned the 4 way valve to the position indicated to fill the fresh tank and let it go. Well, here is where the problem comes in. I had the water flowing for 10 minutes and nothing, nada, zip. I opened the drain hose on the fresh water tank and nothing came out. So, here is my thinking and I want to check with those with much more experience than me, While I was able to protect with pink stuff all the lines, the only one that did not get the pink stuff was the line to the fresh tank. Now, because of our wonderful Colorado weather, that line froze up, hence no water to the fresh tank. But, by turning on the yeti package, and setting the thermostat to a nice toasty, 70 degrees, all the lines should thaw out and when we go back to the trailer tonight around midnight (after our annual Black Friday lets watch other people making fools of themselves outing) I should be able to put water into the fresh tank with no problem. Am I on track with this line of thinking? Next, did I miss something when I put in all the pink stuff? Should I have used the air compressor (I don't want to open up that debate again please, just would like to know if I could have used the air line to blow out what seems to be the one line that did not get the pink stuff)?

Ok folks, let me have it. How messed up was I or how close was I or what ever. I look forward to being educated.

danemayer

Hi Ronn,

It's possible you may have water frozen in the line that fills the fresh tank. Depending on where it's frozen, how much ice is in the line, and how much warm air gets pumped into that area of the underbelly, it might be ok by midnight tonight. Might take longer.

The fresh tank drain is probably teed into the fill line and should allow most of the water in the line to drain when you drain the fresh tank - as long as the fill hose doesn't have a low spot along the way.

You didn't mention clearing water out of the outside shower or the black tank flush line when you winterized. You need to keep an eye on those areas to make sure they survived the freeze.

Greengas

How about sitting all these hours with the tank heaters on and nothing in the tanks??

That is a concern. There is some liqued in the grays and 1/3 in the black. The tank heaters will be on for 12 hours. Do I need to rush from denver to Colorado Springs to shut them off?

jnbhobe

That is a concern. There is some liqued in the grays and 1/3 in the black. The tank heaters will be on for 12 hours. Do I need to rush from denver to Colorado Springs to shut them off?
I wouldn't think so if there is liquid in the tanks.