I need a refresher course

ChopperBill

Just watered up my Sundance yesterday for the first trip and seems I had 1/3 of a tank before I could get water to come out of the drain. Sure makes it tough to flush out the tank. You would think with alittle common sense they would know the drain has to be at the lowest point.
Do you have a beam across the bottom of the water tank going from frame to frame? Are you blocked up opposite the drain side a few inches when draining? Those big flat tanks bulge down in the middle with water in 'em and don't have a China mans chance of draining all the water unless you do the above. Believe me I have fought this for a year and a half. That is why I "shimmed" up the off drain side and installed a channel iron under the tank. If you are a serious boon docker get to work on it. If you hang around RV resorts, seems most folks do, I wouldn't worry about. O and by the way, 90% of the RVs with big tanks are probably plagued with this problem. I am guessing that the two tank setup with a cross over pipe is going to be worse.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, I only have the 1 tank. I did get it to drain after I found the drain hose still stuffed inside the under belly. Moniter still reads 1/3 in tank. When I can im going to shim the tank. If I had my way there would be no dry camping. DW insisted on this time. Bob:D:D:eek:

ChopperBill

Bob listen to Patty! Nothing better than getting out and no one around for miles.
Back to the tank. When I had the bottom off I noticed that the pump pick up is 1/2 to 1 inch above the bottom of the tank. So shimming is almost a must to get the full capacity. Also noticed the 1/3 tank sensor is about in the same height from the bottom. So when you get to 1/3 because of the distance to the next senor you are going to have anywhere from approx. 20 gallons to about out. Now when filling the tank take into account that it take 12 gallons to fill the water heater and a few more to fill the water lines. So its going to take almost 20 gallons of water just to set things in motion. Confused!? :confused: I am!

ChopperBill

An added thought: Dont know if Heartland would read this, but. If they were to weld the mounts for the fresh tank so it would angle down towards the pump and drain side it would take no more time or money. And it would eliminate 95% of these water tank posts. :D

Netem

Bill, Haven't had the under belly off yet . This will be the first time we've had our trailer out since we bought it last Nov. Our old 5ver had the water tank sitting on plywood so I could get every drop out. I spend quite a bit of time dry camping while hunting so I will have to do something. Thanks for the tips and like you said why doesn't Heartland slant the tanks when they put them in.

wazz_zup

I'll be taking off the bottom covers as well so I can get a visual. On our 08 3100RL we have the same problems everybody is talking about. I'm going to heed Retired's advise and get serious about fixing the issue about getting all the water out. We dry camp 95% of the time, so it's an issue. It's hard to go ahead an take a shower when the meter says 1/3, not knowing if there'll be water there to flush the potty!